SMOOTHBORE CUBE PROJ v ROUND BALL

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

SMOOTHBORE CUBE PROJ v ROUND BALL

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I think that cube test should be run at targets farther away... I'd guess cube v round ball accuracy is about the same but the cube would have more drop.

Back in the flint lock smooth bore musket days soldiers molded their own round ball... The soldiers were issued a bar of lead for the melt... It has been observed by battlefield archaeologists that soldiers would just cut off a piece from the bar and fire that instead. Perhaps done in a pinch or maybe to catch a little shut eye

Some guns used by the Turks were designed to fire a cubed proj.. It was special for infidels!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: SMOOTHBORE CUBE PROJ v ROUND BALL

Post by 765x53 »

It was also common practice to chew sheet lead into a ball.

High lead levels in the body can cause volatile and violent behavior.
Thus explaining the success of the Romans who cooked in lead pots and the wimpification of modern civilized people.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The Puckle Gun was designed by James Puckle in 1718 so that the British could use square bullets against the Muslim Turks, as they were considered more damaging. It also fired round bullets that could be used against Christian enemy troops.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote:The Puckle Gun was designed by James Puckle in 1718 so that the British could use square bullets against the Muslim Turks, as they were considered more damaging. It also fired round bullets that could be used against Christian enemy troops.
Very interesting John; I'd not heard of that one before.

For others who want to know more, Here is a link to a UK article, with picture, of a Puckle Gun

And here's a quote: "At the time the gun was patented in 1718, a musket could be loaded and fired 3 times a minute. The vastly superior Puckle Gun fired nine shots per minute and was the world’s first machine gun."

So I guess "spray and pray" wasn't invented in the jungles of Vietnam...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I guess there'd be more praying than spraying..... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Here's a pic of the Puckle (say that 3 times rapidly!) out of an old Bannermans catalog I snapped.
PUCKLE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY