OT Crimson Trace laser grips?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

OT Crimson Trace laser grips?

Post by gcs »

Saw their ad in the American Hunter mag and checked out the web site, anyone have any experience with these? Kinda expensive, and never really considered something like that, but was curious if you folks had any feedback on those types of laser grips, or any laser systems.
Thanks
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Projected laser sighting can be a mixed blessing. There is no doubt they aid in low or no light shooting. However, to properly identify the target and determine the aggressors intent a flashlight should be employed anyway.

The laser can have a convincing effect on someone spotlighted by it. However, if you are pointing a gun at someone its probably too late to wait and see if they react to the red dot on their chest/head. They would obviously have to SEE it first.

For some people, the laser becomes a crutch. They compromise their skills for relying on the red dot to place their shot. If you expected the red dot to project and it didn't, (dead battery, broken or knocked out of alignment) any delay or distraction could cost you dearly.

The red dot moves around quite a bit with the natural movement of your hand. It is not easy to keep it perfectly still on the target. In most cases there is a perception of a steady hold with open sights that is impossible to achieve with the projected dot.

The laser sights are helpful for some folks and under some conditions. I wouldn't mind having one available as an option. Overall, I am much more comfortable with night sights.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

PLEASE tell me you're not considering put these on a Single Action! I am pretty sure that would be sacrilegious or blasphemous or something BAD!

On a self-defense gun, I like this kind of laser - or the one that replaces the recoil-spring guide rod - the best. As noted, it does no good for target identification and can be an awful deterent to good marksmanship. However, in a self-defense situation, "lighting up" the bad guy with a little red dot on their chest should dissuade anyone not on drugs to surrender or run!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Wasn't too long ago I almost shot someone for waving a laser of some type around at my wife/deck...

Good way to get kilt.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

LOL, nah, no laser on the wheel gun,
I fully understand that such devices can lead to bad habits, but I'm ok, I actually know how to use the sights,lol, never shot less then DE on any firearms qualification courses with the revolver.

But..it does look interesting for a self defense weapon
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

For the mere pittance of $251.99(!) I purchased the Crimson Trace laser sights for my Colt Series 70 Mk IV .45 ACP - an everyday carry and home defense handgun.

It took seconds to install the device, since my configuration is a light to the right side top of the grip panel which replaces the Pachmayr grip I was using.

The black neoprene or rubber grip itself, with its swell for the little light, compares very favorably to my custom Pachmayr grip for fit, pointing and hold. The little light at the side is, in my opinion, much better than the center mount lasers that reside in the spring guide that other manufacturers offer. These get quickly clouded with gun powder and other residue upon firing, and require careful cleaning. Additionally, they get quite a beating, which would seem to make them more vulnerable to damage and failure at a critical moment. The grip mounted light on my handgun does not suffer the round-to-round beating and exposure to gases and particles.

But you must have your trigger finger IN the trigger (a no-no) or get into the habit of keeping it straight, alongside the gun - or your finger blocks the light!

The light itself works flawlessly. You squeeze the front of the grip and the activator in the pad makes the connection. So when you draw the gun, the light is already on.

The only proviso - when you clean the gun, at least anywhere near the grip, you must remove the grip to protect the light from the solvent. But I tape over and round the light and clean carefully.

Zeroing it is easy. Since we are not talking about 200 yard MOA accuracy, I merely look down the sights at 25 yards and then move the tiny allen screw (wrench provided) to center the light.

I don't know about the statements concerning how the light moves when your hand moves, and so on, since your sights do, too! In retrospect, having reread the above posts, it is correct that the dot shakes minutely; but that doesn't seem to bother me; I just acuire the the target as with iron sights and the dot gives me a finer point of reference, more quickly, than I can now acquire with standard sighting systems.

Unless you are shooting in pitch dark, the red light makes a dandy spotter. It works well in regular daylight, too, at self-defense distances.

I am now on the other side of 60. My eyesight was once much better than 20-20, and when I practiced I was a better than average shot. But the mid 40's took care of that, and bifocals led to blended lenses. But with the red dot, I can acquire my target MUCH more quickly, instead of bobbing my head up and down like some crazy spring mounted automobile hula doll - and get the shot off. And my groups are pretty impressive.

If the light should fail, I just look down the sights.

I'm totally sold on the Crimson Trace product for self-defense purposes. I would hasten to add that I am not on the Board of Directors and have no connection or interest with the product, other than once being very reluctant to plop down big money for a gadget, and now being a "true believer" in the system.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Sorry to be off subject on this string, but OI, that is the best avatar I have seen on any board, cracked me up as I scrolled down! Uh, no offense of course to any of the others! 8)
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Whaddaya mean Avatar?

That's a picture of me taken when I was visiting South Park CO a couple of years ago. 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I agree with you, Ysabel, on the deterrant factor of these sights.......I have the Crimson Trace grips on my S&W 640 with 1-7/8ths" barrel. I have put all 5 bullets in the forehead of a human silouette, (sic?) target at 25yds, PROVIDED I held it rock steady. A shootin buddy of mine says the negative side of these in a night-fight situation is that, like tracers, the bad guy can see where you are & possibly put one or more of his pills in you as well. I got my set a few years ago when MidwayUSA had them on sale for $200 at Christmastime. I plan to get another for my Colt Combat Elite as soon as I can afford them. jd45
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

I have them on a 3in Ruger SP101 and find them very help full(65 year old eyes) they do help.BUT only if you practice enough with them that the activation becomes second nature and not something you have to think about. my2c Doug
a armed man is his own master
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

canonsix, I don't understand your comment about activation. There's a button on the grip below the triggerguard that your finger comes in contact with. If you're targetshooting, I'd think you'd turn the switch off, but I've left mine on for home defense, and after 3 or 4 years, I'm still using the original batteries. Please explain, & thanx, jd45
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Sorry if I was not clear.If you do not have a firm(repeatable) grip on the revolver ,when the revolver recoils, you see a lot of people changing their grip to recover , ie; milking the grips.
This does cause inexperienced shooters to activate the laser, when they do not want to.
All I am saying(not very artfully),is practice with the tool, and do not use it to replace proper practice . Doug
a armed man is his own master
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I'm clear on it now, thanx Doug. jd45