Fun Day @ the Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Fun Day @ the Range

Post by Griff »

Went to a "Wild Bunch match yesterday. The fellar puttin' on the match had asked me to bring one of my Winchester 94s so he could compare performance (loading & shooting times), to his planned BAMM (Bolt Action Military Match) side events. He hopes that by allowing a rifle caliber levergun will increase participation in this side math.

In the regular match I used a Taylor's Tactical 1911, and AIC 1897 clone and an 1873 short rifle. I shot in the traditional category which involves using a fixed sight 1911 and shooting one-handed. Did ok, until I started trying to go faster... Those little 4" targets are a bear. The couple of 100 yard targets were "iffy" as I've never tried shooting that far with this gun and load.

The side match was a lot of fun... but, I might be prejudiced, I happen to love a .30-30 Winchester mdl 94! My raw times were consistently within a second of the fastest guys with their 1903s. Even tho' I had to load my 2nd five shots singly, while they were using stripper clips. And, on one event we all started with five in the gun, and just shot those five at targets ranging from about 50 yards to 100, I had the fastest raw time, one miss knocked me down to 4nd place. We also shot a "man-on-man" with two shooters going head to head on five shots... I challenged the winner of that series of duels to the same. I didn't exactly smoke the other guy, but it was gratifying that I could put 5 shots on target quicker than he. My little Trapper carbine performed well, and my loads were accurate enough for the challenge.

I'm looking forward to the next one! So there'll be more loading lead .30-30s on the RockChucker!

Shoulda taken a camera!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Fun Day @ the Range

Post by gamekeeper »

Sounds like you did well.... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

8) :mrgreen:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just love it when a levergun beats out a bolt-action... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a fun day. For you! I would bet some of the other guys were a little miffed. :lol: :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote:Sounds like a fun day. For you! I would bet some of the other guys were a little miffed. :lol: :lol:
Nah, at heart, they're all leverguys also. They were pleasantly surprised.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Good Job Griff; sounds like a great day!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Glad o see you make the 94 shine like that, they'll do the job when needed. My grandson Scrateshooter built a high priced AR 15 for me a couple of years ago knowing that when the time comes to grab a rifle and a bunch of ammo I'll grab one of the 94 30wcf.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Glad you got to have all that fun Griff. Maybe I'll regain enough ability to get around to shoot another wild bunch match. I think I'm gonna try the Show Me Shoot Out at Branson again this year. There is a Wild Bunch match as part of it but I doubt there is enough of me left to do that one too. 10 stages of Cowboy will be enough.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Were you surprised that a levergun was faster than a bolt gun? Tart. :D

Just wait until next month when you get that Great Western derringer and see how fast you are with that. Get those C-Notes ready.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Were you surprised that a levergun was faster than a bolt gun? Tart. :D

Just wait until next month when you get that Great Western derringer and see how fast you are with that. Get those C-Notes ready.-----6
Nope I wasn't surprised at all... I actually think the guys that make up the rules for WB know that the Levergun isn't at any disadvantage... but they have these old military bolt guns and want some game to play with them...

I ain't holdin' my breath on that GW! But will be pleasantly surprised... C-notes have been ready!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

We used to have a monthly Military Bolt sihouette match. Same targets and rules as Big Bore Levergun, but the bullets had to be cast (no jacketed rounds allowed)
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.