Marlin 336 44 Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RonEgg
Levergunner

Marlin 336 44 Mag

Post by RonEgg »

This has probably been discussed before but I just found one of these rifles. It seems to me that it is a favored model due to the round bolt design. Could all you folks remind me why I should pick this rifle up instead of a 1894 in 44 Mag.

Thanks Ron
everybody wants to be a cowboy but, nobody wants to ride the range
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You should pick one up because it didn't have a long production. The .44 Mag was discovered to be (or PROVEN to be) too short for the action. If you want performance above all else, the 1894 is the way to go. Yes, many (most?) 336 .44 Mags do well, so do most Winchester 1894 .44 Mags but they weren't designed for cartridges this short. IME it is better to just stick with the proven commodity.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If the price is right you should pick it up for the collector value if nothing else. You don't see those very often.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Personally I don't like the darn barrel bands on the 336-44 .

But I do happen to have one as well :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What Hobie & Ted said!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I'd pass on this one. It has design flaws which Marlin corrected it by dropping this chambering.

I'm no fan of the Marlin 1894 for shooting heavyweights or 44 Special loads. The 1 - 38 rifling is less-than-ideal for these applications.

I sold my litle Marlin and bought this plain looking but great shooting Ruger. Accurasy is amazing with any 44 MAG load!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If you have the money and price meets condition do it. The 336 .44 Mag. is not a common animal. 1886.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

To a Marlin collector the 44 Mag 336 is a low-production-volume variant of interest, and IMO if you fit that bill and have the $$$, it's worth acquiring.

I had one for a while back in the early 80s. It was finicky about feeding some cartridges, and the problems seemed to be a function of OAL and bullet nose profile. I learned to "finesse" the lever just right, then lost interest in the 44 Magnum in general. The 336 and a companion 4" M29 S&W both got sold for a Colt 1911 acquisition.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome Back, 6pt ! It's good to hear from you again. 8)
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Hope they shoot OK, as I picked up a saddle ring rifle that was in decent shape. I then found a near new one with the Marlin sticker still on the forend. Thought about converting the older one to 445 super mag, but hate to ruin a collector gun.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
RonEgg
Levergunner

Marlin 336

Post by RonEgg »

Thank you all for your advice. I believe I will pass on this rifle
Gunbroker #98839975

Thanks Ron
everybody wants to be a cowboy but, nobody wants to ride the range