We got any CB guys here

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

We got any CB guys here

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Wire brush kaun5318
spent 1991-2000 up here and got hurt and could not climb the steps so opened it up after 16 years to this mess.going to try and fix it back up this winter i hope.
have a PDL2 and antron 99 stand by
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: We got any CB guys here

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Whacko- I don't want to alarm you but there is a bear in there!!
I have a radio in my truck, all my buddies used to have em too.
We would rig up a base every year at our camp in Canada so we could stay in touch while running from lake to lake. Of course we are older & know better now to not get ourselves into trouble... Or do we?
CBs aren't as popular as they were since cell phones... Hate cell phones!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Ham operator here;

KI7GYK, 73's
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

"CB, the chat room of the 1970's" :wink:

I had a clean out after a fire about 10 years ago and most of my gear went into the dumpster. The giant old tubed Tram, a couple CB's, one or two 10 meter units.. It pained me so, untold piles of money invested. I saved one mobile radio, my President Jackson and an antenna, though I don't see ever using it again. There's just no room to mount it in a modern vehicle.
Last edited by cas on Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slow is just slow.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I had every 1 around talking on them back them. was fun,spent all my time out there while the kids were growing up and had the house full of there friends. 11that couch folded out to a bed and the wife and i spent many nites out there.
I have a hopped up president jfk and a base left of those astec mikes not sure witch it is.
JOHNNY WACKO
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Isn't 4 watts the limit for 11 meters?.... :wink:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was expecting a cconversation about melted lead :shock:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I was limited to about 500 to 700 on that pride dx tube up on the right top shelf with 500 on the super star transistor from 2 cobra 2000 driving then with 5 or 6 watts.on a good nite i could push 800 on the pride on the PDL 2 on the vertical side.

That president JFL would do 40watts from the radio alone till i popped it and after a repair 30 was all it would do. The 1 thunderbolt 3o5 would do about 300,and the 321 tube would do 200 and up to 250 depending on conditions. the mobles were 100 and 200 and 1 was 300. and the little modulator booster called a blabber mouth would give a stock radio with a power mike 30+.I ran mostly astec lolly pop mikes on base and the road talkers on my mobels with a silver streak 150 trucker on a K40 in all 4 of my trucks.But i collected all kinds of kickers that you see setting around there and some are still new in the co bard.

I have 2 of these and 1 did 100 and the other 150.

I had a guy who would tune those kickers up to top output do to my bad location in this valley i lived in.

those silver streaks on a 30 watt power supply would do 100 to 125.Its the i left of the mike on top the power supply. I have like 10 of them for some reason most new in thw boxes in the cabinet on the wall in the white boxes.

I ran all uniden with freak channels in the tune switch

a neighbor would call and say i was coming over his vcr with it unplugged not even hooked to the tv with no speaker in it back them.

got mt first cb in 1974 a midland 23 channel ran it on a battery out of the house and in my truck later on.
JOHNNY WACKO
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Man, go get your ham ticket and you can do even more. :D

73s, KE4VBB
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

back years ago you had to know homes code to get on ham,thats why i never did.but i have thought of it but thought no 1 was into it with cell phones.
JOHNNY WACKO
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Code is not required for a Ham license. I just got my Technician class license, and will study for my general class soon.
BTW; I am over 70 years Young.

KI7GYK, 73's
SASS# 51223

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yes... Currently running a Galaxy 99 in the big truck, and a Mirage 88 in the p/u. Have a Yaesu 101 out in the barn... but no antenna capable of using its potential. Have a couple of 400 amps, but don't run them... just makes one an alligator... all mouth, no ears!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

JUST RUN A RECEIVER BOOSTER..Make your ears as big as your mouth by boosting them both.I use a dosey and a pride.and most kickers have both but i double them up with 1 on kicker and 1 in line before amp.db gain doubles that way
i'll take those off your hands if your not using them.
JOHNNY WACKO
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lefty Dude wrote:Ham operator here;

KI7GYK, 73's
I got a license about 12 years ago, but there's not much activity around here, and the radios and repeaters to navigate are so complex I'd need a tutor one-on-one to get started, so I've never broadcast at all. About the best I can do is listen to storm-chasers during tornado season, since it gives warnings a couple minutes ahead of the National Weather Service, but even that bunch is rather sparse, and often there is nobody on-line during 'activation'.

Very disappointing. I still keep my dual-band transceivers (I got two) in case one of my kids ever gets interested, so at least I'd have someone to talk to...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Doc, if you get a repeater directory from ARRL it will show you every repeater in the US and tell you what you need to access them. Most need DTMF codes and you need to know the offset. Some use standard offset others don't.

There used to be a guy around here that ran a repeater that would link 2M,440, 6M, and 10M together. You could actually talk DX on a 2M handheld.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

a friend talked all over the world by skipping of satellite somehow with a antenna that looked like a coat hanger,not sure how he did it but he would get up all hours of the nite when things were lined up to talk to Switzerland and Norway + other countries.
I just talked local and some skip mostly west of me was my best way out of this hallow.Talked to truck drivers in main 1 time for hours.They all were calling for me. i went by 220 in western pa and wire brush,a handle picked up from my wild curly hair

these group of people in Calcutta Ohio could not talk to there neighbors if i cranked it up.I have all kinds of echo and noise makers i would use to make them mad and we yelled at each other for years then made friends and it was not no fun after that. They were down river and i had a noise maker sounded like a toilet flushing and i would say here i'm sending you a radio good enough to talk to me and flush that thing and they would all yell back at me all nite..
1 time they hooked a Mobile radio to a battery with the mike wire crossed and set it out about a mile from me keyed up till it went dead trying to block me out but i still talked over it.we located it and kept the battery and left a note on the radio to GGF.but never herd back who it was.all my neighbors were calling me and saying to stop cursing it was on there tv radios and vcr's even turned off.and phones too. If you had a bare wire on your land line it worked like a antenna and would pick me up.
JOHNNY WACKO
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm still in the dark ages but.....I do have two cans and a string.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

At one time I had an old 23 channel Hy Gain mobile unit with a small 20 watt kicker, a good power mike and twin 102" whips on the back of my Audi Fox (this is between 75-77). I lived in the barracks, and out in the parking lot I sank a ground rod a couple feet. Whatever direction I parked the car, it was like a directional antenna. I could reliably go 20-30 miles, and on good nights skip all over the USA. Great fun.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

10-4 Rubber Duckie , back atcha Pig Pen ..... my last one went away in the '80's .
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

AJMD429 wrote:
Lefty Dude wrote:Ham operator here;

KI7GYK, 73's
I got a license about 12 years ago, but there's not much activity around here, and the radios and repeaters to navigate are so complex I'd need a tutor one-on-one to get started, so I've never broadcast at all. About the best I can do is listen to storm-chasers during tornado season, since it gives warnings a couple minutes ahead of the National Weather Service, but even that bunch is rather sparse, and often there is nobody on-line during 'activation'.

Very disappointing. I still keep my dual-band transceivers (I got two) in case one of my kids ever gets interested, so at least I'd have someone to talk to...!
Check out Echo Link, Doc. With your computer connected to an Echo Link Repeater you can talk with the World.
SASS# 51223

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:10-4 Rubber Duckie , back atcha Pig Pen ..... my last one went away in the '80's .
During my brief truck driving career in 97, I had one in the rig....I was pretty much aghast at the gutter culture that had taken over the old trucker channels. Since then, I've had no need of such chatter.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:10-4 Rubber Duckie , back atcha Pig Pen ..... my last one went away in the '80's .
During my brief truck driving career in 97, I had one in the rig....I was pretty much aghast at the gutter culture that had taken over the old trucker channels. Since then, I've had no need of such chatter.
I'm appalled at your language.. "aghast"... really?

I have one in my truck, some shippers or receivers rely on them... but going down the road, it's either turned off, or the volume is turned all the way down so I don't have to listen to that filth... the language doesn't bother me... it's the content of what they say!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've CB'd a lot in the past. Was a Stormchaser and volunteered for REACT in the '80s.

Not so much any more... Though I do have a couple of 5w "license & papers please" VHF radios. (no license, no papers... got them using the Fire Dept permits...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
I'm appalled at your language.. "aghast"... really?

I have one in my truck, some shippers or receivers rely on them... but going down the road, it's either turned off, or the volume is turned all the way down so I don't have to listen to that filth... the language doesn't bother me... it's the content of what they say!
Yep...When I was really into it in the 70s, channel 19 was a good place to be if you wanted to go fast. Bad language was stepped on. Lot's of Dads had their family in the station wagon going down the road. I'm pretty salty, but I try to be careful of who's in the audience.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV