Firearm forum poll. An "OT" poll.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Firearm forum poll. An "OT" poll.

Post by cas »

Will all the hubbub about Off Topic posts, here is my question:

How many of you come to this website/forum and ONLY this forum?

I ask this because as I look over many of the OT threads we have running, I see that they are the same thread topics that are on The Ruger forum, the Sig Forum, the S&W forum, the Firing Line, The High Road, AR.15, the Gunbroker forums... etc, etc. My point being, if these same topics are being beat to death on all these other forums (by many of the same people) what is the great need to duplicate them here as well?
I guess my point is, why do people insist on making every place exactly the same? Every store doesn't have to be Wal-Mart. Every forum doesn't have to be the "Everything I want to talk about" forum. :roll:

Grumble grumble grumble.
Slow is just slow.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I guess my first question to your statement is whether or not it's the same people asking the same questions in all the forums.

If it's not, I'd suggest that perhaps many gun-owners and enthusiasts have the same questions, and maybe we're not gettin' the word out.

If it is, I'd congratulate them on their effort and ask them to stop spamming every forum they go to.

I visit several forums related to leverguns and political issues, and sometimes I see the same folks posting the same things. Maybe they think that they are the only ones who walk on that particular path and feel like they just gotta share.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

Just an observation.

People are happiest where they are free to speak their minds and air what concerns them openly. It doesn't always make sense. It doesn't please everyone all the time, but it is what freedom is all about. And concerns about freedom are what a lot of people on this and other similar sites have on their minds right now.

To the degree that speach is limited by mgrs, that happiness declines and people will find another venue to express themselves. Which may explain why their are similar threads on similar sites.

Be glad that people are happy to spend their free time on this site. It means they are comfortable. I can't think of a greater wish, on the part of a web mgr, to be fulfilled. With any luck members wont leave this site for another where they can speak their minds on diverse subjects freely and openly.
JP_TX
444 Marlin
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have to confess, this the only forum I go to.
Sometimes people wierd out, and I just back out.
I really do feel like the tone will change after the election, there was a post awhile back; a forum member felt " something " in the air.
There is something in the air, BUT IT WILL PASS.
Lets all hang together, for seperatly; we will surely all hang.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I used to spend a lot of time on a some other forums (High Road & The Firing Line). They were the first ones I'd found. After a year or two I got tired of the EOTWAWKI rehashes along with bashing one group or another.

I found this place and visited the others less and less. It's probably been a couple of years since I've been to the others. I'd be surprised if they are any different now than then.

I hope we can keep this place from going the same direction.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

This is it. I get emails of active posts from the Cast Bullet Association. I search other forums for info. I don't have time to post on multiple forums. I like this one and y'all.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

This is one of three I frequent.
in my experience there has always been a wide range of subjects discussed here & its usually pretty civil given that fact. I like it just fine as it is.
Every forum has a slightly different atmosphere & I'm sure you dont get the same answers to the same questions everywhere. I never found every place to be exactly the same, other than being inhabitated by people.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is the only one. I just don't have time for others, and I figure since I lucked into the best one on my first try, why bother? :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

this one and SASS sites
but 90% of the time I am here!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[a forum member felt " something " in the air. There is something in the air, BUT IT WILL PASS. ]

Shoot ! Thet happens every time I eat beans. :wink: :mrgreen:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

JP_TX....excellent response! +1
Ken41
Levergunner

Post by Ken41 »

Levergun is the first to look at. Then, in no specific order, ASSRA, CAS City (1876 and Henry), Shiloh Forums, Drudge Report.
Ken
NRA Life
Image Image
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have no issue with off topic post provided that it doesnt incite an arguement. THOSE GET OLD. Other than that as long as a question is genuinely being asked without a secondary motive then I can be patient enough to deal with it. It may also sound a little on the far side, but we dont have to open every thread. Rather than sound off on a question, let it die and move further down the page so it is forgotten.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Although I frequently peruse a number of forums, and have seen the same posts by the same members, this is the only forum where I take the time to respond on a regular basis. On the others, I may ask a question on a particular subject (like CAS or Ruger gunsmithing) or buy something from the classifieds. But this is the only one where I enter into discussions and offer opinions.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Firearm forum pole. An "OT" pole.

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

cas wrote:How many of you come to this website/forum and ONLY this forum?
I do.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I'm up and down on three or four forums, but mostly the classified sections.

Unless it's a question I'm in a hurry for an answer then I just keep it to one forum.

But sometimes, if what I post has relevance (levers/rimfire/gunsmithing) on a couple of forums then I'll post on both.

But I generally don't have much to complain about.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Unless the owner decided different, the group dynamic is going to rule. Unless I miss my guess, by the number and quality of people visiting and posting, this site is healthy as heck and will continue to grow and prosper in spite of a couple speed bumps. Perhaps, maybe, there are some control issues going on that Dr Fill could help you with, Sir :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

i go to other forums also.
i come here to talk about and look at lever guns
as i have several 92's a 95 a 71 a marlin etc...
when i go to the other sites i go there to talk about the subject for
that forum.
however there is some crossover between forums which is a good
thing it is called networking.
if you got a queston on how or why someone who is a bit more
specialized on the subject probably will get it answered better.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I go to others, 3 or 4, but rarely post. Usually just lurk for info, but will post if I see something I need info on.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

This forum is 80% of my internet perusing. Although I do go to Shiloh and BPCR. But there post flow is mighty slow and you can check in on them about once a week and catch up real fast.
Old Law Dawg
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I do about 80%of my online stuff here .
I do go to Greybeard outdoors, and Cast boolits. I have seen the same questions by the same people at the different sites
SOME of it comes from people knowing that there are people who ONLY frequent one site and they are trying to solicit as much information as they can by reaching people on the other sites as well as this site . OTHERS are only trying to stir up trouble on any site they can just for the halibut .
I do NOT look at a majority of the OT topics I pick and choose and if it does not pertain to me or I know i have no specific information and coud care less I do not look at that Ot subject. Thats why the OT subjects dont bother me at all , put as manyof them on as you want , I just wont look at OR RESPOND TO any im not interested in .
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I see a lot of political/2A posts that get around. This has been the most powerfull weapon we have ever had, ever, against the anti-gun anti-hunting crowd and is the reason they have lost momentum. Stifling that would be idiotic at best.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

sore shoulder wrote:I see a lot of political/2A posts that get around. This has been the most powerfull weapon we have ever had, ever, against the anti-gun anti-hunting crowd and is the reason they have lost momentum. Stifling that would be idiotic at best.
I have to agree. Repitition is boring but it helps to ensure that EVERY possible person is given the information necessary.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

In order of preference; here, SASS Wire, Shiloh, CAS City, Cast Boolits, The Gunfighter Zone, The Frontier Spot. On almost all of the others on a read only basis, and only post on "on topic" issues. Don't feel as comfortable on them, even the SASS site, as most of those folks are new and have no use for someone that liked it the way it was, as IMNSHO, change for change sakes is of little value.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I freqeunt three forums. I participate on only this one.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

This one is about 80% of my surfing. Sometimes I'm at Beartooth(think I joined it about the same time as Leverguns in early 2001) and sometimes Americanlongrifles.com.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Usually when I get on the computer, I come here, Cast boolits(noticed some of you there) and usually the Harley/Davidson forum. Sometimes I will sneak over to Greybeards, the Valkyrie forum, AR.15 and the 1919a4 sites, but the first three are 99% of my surfing. The best is HERE!
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

This is the first forum I go to daily. Then GB's site to check out the Reloader's Forum. Just look at the number of new posts and replies daily and you will see how successful this forum is! Politics and OT posts seem to fit right in. I hope you are not suggesting a change!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I only come here, This is my gun fill. I also have region specific forums for fishing and hunting. I have been a member on other forums but I have now found out that there are more very gun savy members per capita on this forum than any other. I like the "small town" gun store attitude where the talk mainly focuses on firearms but changes seasonly to politics, hunting, fishing, family affairs. I mean how many other forums out there can you post a prayer request and get such a great outcome where other members are seriously concerned? I feel like I have known you guys for years but have only met a few of you in person. Thanks for the best gun forum on the net!!! :D
Break on through to the other side!!!
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Usually here, I like the wide variety of topics that are discussed, plus all the friendly people that are willing to put up with someone who doesn't have a lot of knowledge concerning lever guns, I have learned a lot since coming here, and my gratitude to you all. Occasionally the sixshooter site, the one that took sixgunner.com place......but doesn't seem to me to be as much activity there as on leverguns.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I check in here almost every day, and a few others on guns or other topics of interest on a more intermittent basis.

I agree with Hobie on the need to spread political information - the Second Amendment essentially is "ON TOPIC" by its very nature, and whether we enjoy it or not or find it depressing sometimes, the political stuff HAS to be dealt with constantly.

Having said that, I agree that ALL posts should refrain from hostility and so on. That isn't too much to ask. I don't think the "rules" need changed though, because just like the TV, there is a channel (thread) selector, and you don't have to open threads you may be irritated by.

Ideally, we'd all be conscientious about using clearer topic descriptions than "Guess What...?" and using "OT" in the title for the non-lever-gun stuff, and, but really, if you just want to read about Winnies and Marlins, and you see a topic labeled "Best Barbeque Recipe," or "Why the Mayor is a Total Idiot," you might figure they aren't about leverguns. Just don't read them. Besides, is a topic on Revolvers "OT" or not, or just "Partly OT" - what if the revolver isn't in a levergun chambering? It could get pretty ridiculous if we micromanage it. Just read the titles of the posts...!

Personally, I know I am a newbie, but I am also a fairly frequent poster, and I don't find the restrictions overly strict (I've learned a couple of the 'words Daddy uses when he's doing plumbing or fixing the mower' I need to remember to avoid using, which is OK - as stated, it should be a 'family' friendly forum). I think forums with topics overly segregated are annoying though.

Think of it like this - a campfire on a wagon train or trail drive or some such. We all have our jobs each day to do, our own quirks to put up with, but we're all really on the 'same page' about most stuff. Most of the talk here centers around leverguns, but once in awhile someone's going to bring up another topic....

If you are interested in that topic, participate in the conversation, if not, that's a good time to go take a leak, check on your horse, or whatever. The next topic/thread may be of more interest.

As far as the 'tone' - there is a fairly easy difference between a 'heated' topic and 'personal attacks' - We've all been in situations where we just had to 'back off' to avoid something getting ugly, and if you feel your hackles raising, it is probably time to drop out of that thread, and cool off a bit. Go take a shower, split some wood, or even better - vent that mood by writing a letter to a politician! :evil: :twisted:

So, if my 'vote' counts for anything, I'd say no need to change the structure of the forum software environment at all, remind folks to be nice once in awhile, and everybody give our moderators one heap of gratitude for doing the dirty work of reminding us, and of locking a topic when we all get out of hand.

Kind of like they're the sherrifs and we're the rowdy bar crowd...
:roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I come here mostly but do go to Marlin Owners at times where I can get more discussion about my .444 Marlins.

I don't start OT threads very often but when I do, they relate to some type of gun (i.e., air guns) or gun related topic.
ED
Yer never too old
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

This is it for me. Haven't ever taken time to feel out the others. No problem with the various contentious threads/users, I just ignore them.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Like some of you this is the place I come to when I go on the computer. My step son is lurking in places I wouldn't consider. I get Junk emails all the time with awful topics due to the topics he surfs. I need my own private computer I guess.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I am here atleast a few times every day. I do like to peruse RugerForum.com alittle every day, but, quite frequently do more reading than posting.

Other than that I don't belong to any other forums. I used to belong to TheRangerStation.com forum and Russian-Mosin-Nagant.com forum, but haven't posted in so long my accounts both died.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I visit a few others. I used to like this place, but it has gotten contentious lately. Lee Martin's Sixgun forum is thankfully still civil and respectful.

As for the OT posts here, I think they are OK if labeled as such, and I can ignore them or read them at my whim. I really do enjoy some of them.

I don't post much here, largely because I am not a rifleman of long experience; more of a sixgunner, with some experience with a few autopistols. My hunting experience is almost nil. I am here to learn about those things, and hope that when I retire, hopefully in my early to mid-50's, I will be fit and energetic enough to have a second childhood, and learn the stuff I missed earlier in life. I am grateful for the info I find here, and thank those who post about rifles and hunting.

Edited to add: Well, I hunt people, mostly at night, so I know a few things about hunting. :wink:
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Ruger forum, ( Have more Ruger's than anything else )

Hit the others if I have a specific questions pertaining to it.

( I did't want to get too Levergun 'OFF TOPIC " )

As to the Harley-Davadison's forum: MY WIFE BANDED ME FROM THERE !!!!!!
Says I'm to old, go play with your guns !!!
Gee's after 47 years you would think she would be more understanding..
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I go to specific forum for specific information. I used to be very interested in learning new information (to me) about leverguns. I also look for (or used to look for) specific info on S&W's, 1911's, motorcycles, trucks, ham radio, survival gear, etc.

I don't think I ever specifically went looking for a group of friends. Wouldn't have known what I was looking for, since I've never been much of a social person even in real life.

For a good while, though, this and one other site felt 'homey' to me, and I guess I'm like the 'houseguest that won't die'... I apparently got too comfortable and spouted about things I shouldn't have, and made myself unwelcome to the point where I noticed it.

And so, I don't really have a place to go now, I guess to say that rightly- I never did, but I didn't know it. Now I realize my ideas aren't as welcome as I think they would be, who knows the reason. Maybe I'm just a simpleton and my ideas aren't really as great as I think they are. Maybe I'm just not very good at getting my point across. Maybe there are those (tinfoil hat time) who believe my ideas need to be stifled.

Again, who knows. It doesn't matter. Apparently there was something therapeutic in the time I did spend here, because I've been able to stifle the need. Now I come read sometimes, and don't find the 'home' I used think it was. Has it changed, or have I? Again, who knows.

Frequently I'll type out a long response to some post that gets my attention for one reason or another... and then delete it immediately, or if I'm thinking straight, I'll just close the window without ever posting it. The point of the writing has now become, not passing information to you (unwelcome at best) but getting it out of my system.

SO I come here less often than before, and try to keep myself logged out so if I'm tempted to write, there's another layer of difficulty that might give me time to change my mind before it's too late.

After considerable thought, this time, I've decided to post this, but I'll probably be back in a minute to delete it.
RICHP

Post by RICHP »

I visit several forums, this was my favorite, but lately there hasn,t been enough gun, make that levergun related topics posted so I haven,t visited so much. Richard
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

This place is set as my home page, so it is the first place I see when I sign on the internet and I probably spend 90% of my time here. Traditional bowhunting is my other great vice so I also spend some time on TradGang. Thats about it for me.