New 410 is a keeper!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

New 410 is a keeper!

Post by GunnyMack »

Took my new CZ out today, Claro- my little huntin buddy did a splendid job as usual!
1st live round out of the gun and I got this Blue Pheasant. Now I gotta find a taxidermist!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: New 410 is a keeper!

Post by Sixgun »

Never heard of a blue pheasant.....looks cool.......as does the shotgun..----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Don't you know that a .410 isn't enough gun for Pheasant ? ;) . :mrgreen:

Nice job, BTW - I luv it, when a plan comes together ! 8)

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations :D ,
We call those Blue Pheasants Melanistic Pheasants over here, my old boss had me breed a few along with the normal game pheasants.
I too like hunting with a .410, kinda puts the sport back into it, a bit like taking deer with an open sighted 30/30 :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Something very classy about spending the day out with a good dog and nice side by side!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I also note the lack of a white ring around the neck. We have ringnecks and also some colored exactly the same as the ringneck but without the white ring.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Years ago I shot many ducks with my Hi-Standard 410 , skeet choke! Then I got my first 28 ga, a Remington 11-48. Shot all kinds of birds,clays, bunnies & squirrels with it. When I'm on the clays field I shoot a 12 but hunt with small gauges.
More sporting for sure!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very nice, looks a small bird, they usually fly like rockets small pheasants do.

Impressed :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Don't you know that a .410 isn't enough gun for Pheasant ? ;) . :mrgreen:

Nice job, BTW - I luv it, when a plan comes together ! 8)

LOL, many years back, when my boys (twins) were 15yrs old, I took them on state sponsored pheasant hunts. Both boys shot Mossberg 20ga pumps (youth models) I had bought them. They had gone on these hunts since 12yrs old. They were great hunts and often guys with bird dogs brought them to train new dogs or give the kids a chance to work with a good bird dog.

On one such hunt, I was walking behind the boys, with the dog handler, and he mentioned he thought a 20ga was too light for pheasants. I said I didn't because they had used them for the last 3 years. I also used #4 shot and it was very effective. Ten seconds later, a rooster took to the air, and one of my boys dropped it with a single shot.

The handlers comment, "well I guess that answers that question". I just grinned.

Range is the important factor when determining a particular gauge's effectiveness.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

How true!
I too get a kick out of people that think only a 12 can kill birds. For me even a 20 is a bit over gunned!
Biggest thing I see are people being OVER choked. Especially in small gauges.
I shoot skeet/mod in my Red Label 28 ga, more then enough choke out to 40+ yards.
The 410 has IC/mod. That rooster yesterday was about 20 when I dropped him with a 2&1/2" she'll with 1/2 oz of 6's. BTW, Estate ammo is DIRTY!
It's been said that the 28 ga is ballisticly superior to every other gauge. Since the payload (3/4oz) is the same length as is diameter.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Growing up in Southwest Kansas, we hunted a lot of pheasant. I used an old side by side 20 gauge and a Remington 870 Wingmaster in 20 gauge for all of my pheasant hunting. I never used bigger than number 6 shot. Number 5 and 4 tore up too much meat. Number 7.5 shot never ever lost a bird for me even at 40 to 50 yards. My Dad's hunting buddy, Bruce, used a Franchi in 20 gauge and he usually had his 4 bird limit in the first hour. He never fired more than 4 shots in a day of hunting.
We called those blue pheasant the Hungarian blue pheasant.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I loaded a a box of 28's with #6 Hevishot, my intention was to try the 28 on puddle ducks, but since it was a dry fall last year I never used those loads so I have been using it on pheasants. That Hevishot is pure MAGIC! Bird gets up pull the trigger and the bird falls down.
I had to buy some 410's so I can get some hulls to reload. Estate 2&1/2" with 6's- man that stuff is dirty!! Still have some Hevishot and I'll try that in the 410 too.

I used a Rem 11-48 in 20 ga for doves when I lived in a state that didn't see them as song birds. Worked very well using my reloads.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

My grandsons and I hunt grouse with the 410. The boys were out earlier this fall when a small group of turkeys ran across the trail and up on the bank. The older boy let fly and two turkeys rolled down into the road. Good thing they both were carrying tags....
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I really like the looks of that SxS CZ shotgun. Didn't even know they made one until your post?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

From what I hear, this is a discontinued model. Got this one from GB. I was the only person to bid on it!
28" bbls, IC/Mod , I will say that I HAD to work the triggers, 8&1/2-10&1/2 lbs pulls were just way too ugly!
I didn't touch the seat surfaces other then to break the corners, what I found as cause of trigger pulls was the sears were poorly fitted causing them to drag inside the frame. Little file work a little stone work and got them to 5& 1/2 !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Taking the dog to the taxidermist?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Blaine- not for MANY YEARS!!
I took that blue rooster, I figure it's kind of special, new shootin iron, first shot out of it and a blue bird so it's going on the wall.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote:Blaine- not for MANY YEARS!!
I took that blue rooster, I figure it's kind of special, new shootin iron, first shot out of it and a blue bird so it's going on the wall.
This old lady's two pet rabbits died, and she took them to the taxidermist. He asked her if she wanted them mounted, She said that holding hands would be just fine.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

BlaineG wrote:
GunnyMack wrote:Blaine- not for MANY YEARS!!
This old lady's two pet rabbits died, and she took them to the taxidermist. He asked her if she wanted them mounted, She said that holding hands would be just fine.....

:o

That's so wrong, but sooo funny!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Sixgun wrote:Never heard of a blue pheasant.....looks cool.......as does the shotgun..----6
Me neither -- that's cool!

That would make a nice picture to be framed too. Love the look on the dog's face.

As for those "2 rabbits"...................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Old No 7- you guessed it! I'm going to print that picture and hang it by the bird when I get it back from taxidermist.
I have had Labs for 30 odd years, 4 years ago I started breeding. Claro is a chocolate from the first litter we had. I have always had black labs, then 11 years ago I got a yellow... Sweet as can be but what a CHICKEN! She has never even swam!
Claro's mom, my Winnie is such a different dog then any other. Only plays with a Racquet ball, swims, hunts but it has to be on HER TERMS!
Now Claro is all about birds! She is also whacky. Always doing goofy things. They keep me entertained!
Ok I went OT...
It took me about 5 minutes to get that pic, between her picking up the bird, stepping on the gun, not looking at me!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Oh man, now I'm up on GB looking. Is that the Ringneck or the Sharptail? I'm not sure I even understand the difference.

Oh, there's also a Bobwhite version. Since they are no longer on the CZ site, I don't know what the difference is.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Oh man, now I'm up on GB looking. Is that the Ringneck or the Sharptail? I'm not sure I even understand the difference.

Oh, there's also a Bobwhite version. Since they are no longer on the CZ site, I don't know what the difference is.
I had a Bobwhite 20 once (have since upgraded to the Dickinson 20 ga sold by Cabela's).

The CZ Bobwhite has an English straight stock, splinter forearm (with a slight Schnable), decent checkering, double-triggers, case-coloring and some basic engraving. Mine shot very well while I had it, but 1 trigger pull (rear/left) was more than the gun weighed, while the other was about equal (front/right). For the money, it was a nice purchase and I broke-even when selling it 4 years later to get the other one.

The "Huglu" forum (maker of the CZ's in Turkey) on Shotgun World has a LOT of info on the various CZ's. Check it out.

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

7 nailed it!
The is a Bobwhite that I bought. The seller on GB was Jonssport, they had a couple of them a few weeks back , they had it listed as Ringneck. I don't really care as long as it has purdy wood!
Hey 7, my front trigger was about twice the weight of the gun, I cured it be actually fitting the sear to the receiver! The back trigger was a bit over 6&1/2 lbs and worked it some. Both triggers about 5&1/2 now.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I just found this thread ( working too much) I have to say that my favorite shotgun is now my H&R 28 gauge. Shooting it around Mi Casa makes me want either a double or an Ithica pump.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rusty, you will find CZ's in 28, I thought about getting one but my Red Label covers that.
I bet you will find an 870 a heck of a lot easier, probably cheaper too!
The 28 is very under appreciated! I use mine quite often. My best scores in skeet have been with a 28. I shoot it for American trap, and I have used it on the Olympic trap range for fun. Live birds, small game too.
Thanks to BPI, there are slugs for 28. Many recipes for loads including buck shot.
All in all a great gauge!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That's nice, still trying to decide if I should shorten my Savage O/U410 or not. But your results are starting to help and sway me towards cutting them. Just something about short barreled O/Uand S/S's that are also appealing
Rusty or Gunnymack, I have about 20, 28gauge hulls if either of you would like them? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What brand are your 28's?
I have a couple hunnerd but always looking for more. I prefer AA's.
Now I'm looking to collect some 410's since I dusted off the press.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Mixed Estate and W-W, only remember they had steel shot in them. Need to go thru my stuff (March) and clean out stuff. Sold a few things this year and trying to slim down on the the stuff I have no firearms for. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Let me know come March what ya got.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!