Two Marlins, a Browning and some thumb busters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Apples
Levergunner

Two Marlins, a Browning and some thumb busters

Post by Apples »

Howdy.

Years ago I had an old Win '94 in .30WCF that didn't shoot well. I didn't think to have it rebarreled, and sent it down the road. I did roll the money into my first whirlenpopper, a S&W Model 60, so all is not lost. I went shooting with a buddy who brought along his Marlin 1894 in .357... I shot it and I was ruined forever. The fun we had that day ringing steels will never be forgotten. I then ran across something Paco wrote, "the .357 from a rifle barrel is a whole different animal" and I knew what he meant.

Since then I've been on a mission! and in the past five years have acquired a couple of real neat leverguns. Not pictured is a 16" Rossi 92 in .357 and something of a novelty, a Henry H001M .22WMR

Marlins 1894FG in .41 Magnum and a CS357

Miroku/Browning/Winchester '92 in .44 Magnum, a Single Six .22LR, an Old Model Super Blackhawk and an Old Model Blackhawk in .41 Mag

These great firearms along with a couple of 1911-pattern pistols, a few bolt rifles and a bunch of shotguns are what I like to shoot. I'll be taking that .41 Mag '94 on a hunt next year, you betcha!
Thanks for havin' me round the fire, fellers. Be seein' ya!

- Chris in California

:-)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Two Marlins, a Browning and some thumb busters

Post by Grizz »

Howdy Chris

that's some fine shootin' irons. I like your pressure lamp collection too. lots of heat and light.

you reminded me that I have a complete basket case browning 1892 that needs the barrel replaced. plumb forgot about it. maybe I'll get around to rebuilding it. As I recall the barrel is stuck pretty tight, and other projects have a way of piling up on top of that one.

anyway your 1892 is a real beauty.

Apples wrote:.
Howdy.

Years ago I had an old Win '94 in .30WCF that didn't shoot well. I didn't think to have it rebarreled, and sent it down the road. I did roll the money into my first whirlenpopper, a S&W Model 60, so all is not lost. I went shooting with a buddy who brought along his Marlin 1894 in .357... I shot it and I was ruined forever. The fun we had that day ringing steels will never be forgotten. I then ran across something Paco wrote, "the .357 from a rifle barrel is a whole different animal" and I knew what he meant.

Since then I've been on a mission! and in the past five years have acquired a couple of real neat leverguns. Not pictured is a 16" Rossi 92 in .357 and something of a novelty, a Henry H001M .22WMR

Marlins 1894FG in .41 Magnum and a CS357

Miroku/Browning/Winchester '92 in .44 Magnum, a Single Six .22LR, an Old Model Super Blackhawk and an Old Model Blackhawk in .41 Mag

These great firearms along with a couple of 1911-pattern pistols, a few bolt rifles and a bunch of shotguns are what I like to shoot. I'll be taking that .41 Mag '94 on a hunt next year, you betcha!
Thanks for havin' me round the fire, fellers. Be seein' ya!

- Chris in California

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool guns, and I agree they can 'ruin' a kid who gets enamored with them at an impressionable age.... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

You have a real fine bunch of sixguns and levers. I do like your lamps fine old craftsmanship when they were built.

And a big WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Welcome aboard!
Not only is the 357 a different animal, so is the 41.
I have an old model Blackhawk in 41 and a Henry to match.
Very nice gathering of irons!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Yep, gotta love those pistol caliber carbines, great for hiking, when I'm prowling around on snowshoes and my old 80's vintage Rossi 44-40 pulls guard duty around the cabin.
Apples
Levergunner

Post by Apples »

Thanks for the kind reception, gentlemen!
GunnyMack

Welcome aboard!
Not only is the 357 a different animal [from a rifle barrel], so is the 41.
Merry Christmas Eve! As for the .41, I wouldn't know. Yet!

Speaking of Christmas, the FG is my present to myself. Even after a long search, it has taken a few weeks' effort to first just acquire possession, but then between the Holiday Honey-Do List it has been near-impossible to find some garage time to give this great .41 an overhaul. It was in like-new condition, but caked with 11-year-old lube schmo0tz and cardboard (silica! and will ruin a knife's edge) crumbles. It was as if the whole action had been tarred and feathered! Ha ha! Anyhoo... at least it wasn't a milsurp saturated with cosmoline.

She's all cleaned up now and ready to shoot... for the first time. I have some commercially-loaded stuff that touches off as a true Magnum round should. Hot. I may have to finally invest in a chronograph... I also began handloading last year for the .41 Blackhawk, so it's time for the speed-O-meter.

Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Are you a Coleman collector?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I bought a Caldwell chrono from Amazon, it links to iPhone, (via wire) can keep whole strings, many groups, and notes all on the phone.
If memory serves, $89.99.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Apples
Levergunner

Post by Apples »

Bullard, I was once an active collector of gas-pressure lanterns and stoves. Since I don't really *need* any additional pieces, I am now someone who simply has a collection of vintage Coleman. I still, and often, light a big hat 228 lantern in the evening. Sure, if another well-preserved BQ or 426 or 500 Speedmaster crosses my path, I may draw my wallet if conditions are in my favor... :D

Gunny, I'll have to look into that Caldwell! It's a nifty price, and if it also works with Android-based phones, then... it might just be another no-brainer. Thanks again!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Amazon search Chronograph, the first one in the list. It's on sale for $79.99!
Desc says Ballistic prescision chronograph
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

All so very nice & Welcome!!

ollogger
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Welcome in. I like the rifles and pistols. You need a 92 in 41 mag. (we're enablers you know)

I have a few gas lanterns but mine are mostly sentimental favorites that have been in the family for 70 years or so.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Apples
Levergunner

Post by Apples »

M.M.Wright, thanks for your reply. Of the lanterns in your possession, do you have a favorite model?

You know, if anyone had chambered the '92 in .41 I'd be all over it! I can't decide which design I like more: the Winchester 1892 by John Browning or the Marlin 1894 by John Marlin... while I prefer the design esthetic of the 1892, I am always amazed at how the Marlin shoulders.

GunnyMack

Amazon search Chronograph, the first one in the list. It's on sale for $79.99!
After reading some of the reviews on this one, I think I'm going to step out a little farther and go for the G2. I have to deposit a check from a side job into my secondary account, then I can order this from Am4zon. Thanks for your help, Gunny!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have seen too many chrono's shot so I bought a 'cheap' one!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!