94 Trapper, Mini Range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

94 Trapper, Mini Range report

Post by oldmax »

I was able to do some shooting Friday;

Along with the Mini-14, single six and Blackhawk I got to fire 30 rounds
45 Colt through the Trapper. ( This was the most enjoyable one to shoot ).

I was using my own ( first time 45 Colt ) reloads, using 240 grain Sierra's.
Previously I had fired some Colt SSA Level ammo. With the Hotter loads
the rifle shot lower.
Also, I knew I was shooting a Rifle, before there was no felt recoil.

Another think I learned, I need to get better sights ( Ref, other post ). At 50 Yards I was on the target, but scattered around some.
I attribute this to My old eyes and the fuzzy sight picture.

I also noticed that if I did not 'snap' the lever down the ejected case just popped up and fell back down into the chamber and hung up the bolt.
Have to work the lever like ya mean it...

I think I will upgrade the sights before continuing developing a Hunting
load. I DO plan on hunting with the Trapper, Really a neat gun.
Best Part: there was a couple of Black rifle shooters there:
I Popped off 5 quick shots, standing ; That got there attention, like they
never saw a lever gun before...

I think I'm Hooked....
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

oldmax said:

I was able to do some shooting Friday;
I'm jealous, why didn't you invite me?

Along with the Mini-14, single six and Blackhawk I got to fire 30 rounds
45 Colt through the Trapper. ( This was the most enjoyable one to shoot ).
I haven't fired a Mini 14 in decades. But get to shoot my BH and Trapper any time I want. And you are right, the Trappers are very enjoyable to shoot.

I was using my own ( first time 45 Colt ) reloads, using 240 grain Sierra's.
Previously I had fired some Colt SSA Level ammo. With the Hotter loads
the rifle shot lower.
Also, I knew I was shooting a Rifle, before there was no felt recoil.
Light loads are very enjoyable to plink and practice with. But the heavier loads will let you know when they go off. You wanna feel some recoil? Shoot some CorBon 300gr JSP+P stuff. That's fun.

Another think I learned, I need to get better sights ( Ref, other post ). At 50 Yards I was on the target, but scattered around some.
I attribute this to My old eyes and the fuzzy sight picture.
When I first got my Trapper I had much better eyes. With the factory open sights I could shoot 2" groups at 100 yds. But like you I wanted better. So I drilled and tapped mine for a side mount sight. Either Williams hadn't brought out the sight that used the top holes yet, or I just didn't know about it. I installed an older steel Lyman 66A. After that I found I could shoot my 2" groups easier with less eye strain. That made it worth while. At 55 YO, I completely understand about fuzzy sight pictures.

I also noticed that if I did not 'snap' the lever down the ejected case just popped up and fell back down into the chamber and hung up the bolt.
Have to work the lever like ya mean it...
Yep, you sure do. Even after over 3,000 rounds through mine if I wimp out on the lever it does exactly that. The case will do a somersault and fall back on top of the next one. Now you don't have to crank the lever with a vengance, just one smooth brisk stroke down to stop and the same smooth brisk stroke back up.

I think I will upgrade the sights before continuing developing a Hunting
load. I DO plan on hunting with the Trapper, Really a neat gun.
Best Part: there was a couple of Black rifle shooters there:
I Popped off 5 quick shots, standing ; That got there attention, like they
never saw a lever gun before...
Getting the sights squared away first will save you a bunch of work. Just make positive sure the factory front sight is vertical. Mine tilts a bit. I've developed a habit of canting the gun to compensate. Some day I'll get that thing straightened up.
As for the black rifle shooters, I've found that most of them live in a cocoon. All they know is their tactical world. I love to show off in front of them.

I think I'm Hooked....
I been hooked on lever guns since 1966 or so, what took you so long?:wink:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Next Time I go shooting, I'll call you...

55, young whipper snapper, Try 69 year old eyes, major Fuzzy,
I hope the 'peep' makes a difference, I AM NOT putting a scope on this
rifle. NEVER...

My first rifle was a Marlin 35 Rem lever( ?1965). Hunted with it for years, Than I bought a BAR 30-06. I got tired of carrying it.
( It took me many years to realize that more time is spent carrying the gun than shooting it , DUH )

Bought a 356 Win, Liked the gun, but it didn't have the balance of the Marlin.
My current Hunting Rifle is a T/C contender with a 356W
barrel and a folding stock( Along with a Ruger 357MAX). Really easy carry gun, fold it up, sling it
over the shoulder and hike in. No tripping over the barrel.
Good shooter to.

But, The Trapper just feels good to hold. I had a Marlin 357Mag,
I felt it a Little week for bigger deer, and it did not extract good, so I sold it.
The Trapper seems to have both qualities. Easy carry, heavy Bullet..
Can't wait for November Hunting,

? Corbon + P, I was not sure if they would be to Hot for the Winchester...
I was going to reload some 300 grain Seirra when Hunting season gets closer, Could be an option if I get behind schedule..

AND, You write better than I, Hope my jibberish makes a little sense.
:D
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

Oldmax,

Thank you sir for the range report, an excellent one at that and most enjoyable to read. Seems you, Joe, and I all suffer a common ailment with the old guy eyes cause I have the same problem as you describe, but continue struggling with my open irons. Anything more or less just seems to take away from the traditional beauty of a compact levergun IMHO.

Respectfully.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

oldmax,

A good rule of thumb is that the Winchester 94, Marlin 1894, the later Rossi and Miroku made 92 copies are good for anything you can shoot in a Ruger BH or RH.

The 1860 Henry, 1866 and 1873s, early Rossis and the pump rifles are not.

When I was first getting into shooting, around the mid 1960s I hung out at a gun shop that was populated by the "been there, done that" group. I learned more there than almost any other place I've been to.
One of the guys was probably in his late 60s then and would tell stories about how they could not afford cartridges for the cartridge revolvers during the depression. They would use blasting black powder for their cap and ball revolvers and muzzle loading rifles. Many other stories kept me enthralled then. I miss those times.
This particular old gent was always building a smaller and smaller rifle or handgun. Seems as old as he had gotten, he was tired of carrying big guns. The last time I saw him he had cut down an 1886 to the size of a Trapper model. A very handy little power house about 15 years ahead of the gun makers. He was also very fond of short barreled single action revolvers.

Sound familiar? Seems there's nothing new under the sun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Found My Old post on the sight Question: I got CSS & CRS
Thanks J Miller,cnjarvis:

CN, Did you ever get the FP sights installed ???

J Miller, I see you installed a Lyman, Did you have to drill the receiver??
Also my Ser No is 5590xxx, Is this an early AE ? The front sight
looks like it is non dovetail. Glad I didn't wack it with a Hammer,
So I assume welded...

I think I will get a Williams sight, The catalog indicates the FP-94se
should use the existing threaded holes, But it's the expensive one.
The Midway 'sale' one indicates the receiver must be drilled an tapped.
NOT gonna do it, The rifle is to Clean, gonna try to keep it that way..

Short and Light; Them 'Old Guys' are sometimes smart.
Yup, If I ain't gonna shot anything, I'm gonna enjoy doing it..

Clubkey, Thanks, I have been hesitant to post as my writing has
always been wanting...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

oldmax wrote:Found My Old post on the sight Question: I got CSS & CRS
Thanks J Miller,cnjarvis:

CN, Did you ever get the FP sights installed ???

J Miller, I see you installed a Lyman, Did you have to drill the receiver??
Also my Ser No is 5590xxx, Is this an early AE ? The front sight
looks like it is non dovetail. Glad I didn't wack it with a Hammer,
So I assume welded...
Yes, I did have to D&T the receiver. I don't think Williams had brought out the FP SE yet. If your's has the skinny barrel, no safety, and no hole in the hammer it's an early one. Mine is an 85 and that's it's description. In 86 they went to the drilled hammers and in 91 they went to the bull barrels with the dovetailed sight. Mine is serial number: 5355xxx and it's an 85 vintage.
The front sight is either soldered on or welded on. I posted another comment about it on the other thread.

I think I will get a Williams sight, The catalog indicates the FP-94se
should use the existing threaded holes, But it's the expensive one.
The Midway 'sale' one indicates the receiver must be drilled an tapped.
NOT gonna do it, The rifle is to Clean, gonna try to keep it that way..
Yes the FP 94se uses the scope mount holes. I think I would have used it had it been out when I D&T'd mine.

Short and Light; Them 'Old Guys' are sometimes smart.
Yup, If I ain't gonna shot anything, I'm gonna enjoy doing it..
That's pretty much why all my bolt rifles are range guns. I just don't want to carry them heavy long suckers around. The 20" carbines are just about the longest I will lug around. I like to shoot the longer ones though.

Clubkey, Thanks, I have been hesitant to post as my writing has
always been wanting...
Joe
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Drilled hammer , no safety,,, and the Hole in the end is big,barrel small......

Thanks for the help......I'll keep yo'all posted....Getting my order ready for
Monday morning ( Natchez ) ..

And: " JRead " Thanks for your input to the older post same subject...
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

oldmax wrote:Clubkey, Thanks, I have been hesitant to post as my writing has always been wanting...
Oldmax,

Heck, writing is nothing to fret about casue I don't write so good myself, but I got a good spell checker that makes it look that way. Besides I appreciate and it sounds as if Joe does to having another Gent here to talk to.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Got to love those .45 trappers. :D had mine for 14 years now and never get tired of it. The Cor-Bon + P 300gr shoot great out of mine but I have yet to find a load that it wont shoot decently yet.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JReed wrote:Got to love those .45 trappers. :D had mine for 14 years now and never get tired of it. The Cor-Bon + P 300gr shoot great out of mine but I have yet to find a load that it wont shoot decently yet.
Jeremy,
My 85 vintage .45 Colt Trapper has the 1-38 rifling twist, do you know what yours has? I'm just curious because I've not tried anything over about 270grs in mine yet.

Joe