He he he- good for him

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

He he he- good for him

Post by GunnyMack »

Not pocket change: Man delivers 298,745 pennies to DMV
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/13/no ... o-dmv.html
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: He he he- good for him

Post by Thunder50 »

I am suprised they accepted them. IIRC, the dime is considered the lowest form of "legal tender". I could be wrong about that though.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thunder50 wrote:I am suprised they accepted them. IIRC, the dime is considered the lowest form of "legal tender". I could be wrong about that though.

http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Thunder50 wrote:I am suprised they accepted them. IIRC, the dime is considered the lowest form of "legal tender". I could be wrong about that though.
Not being rude, but you definitely are wrong.

If pennies were not legal tender they would be removed from circulation and attempting to use them as currency would be viewed as counterfeiting.

As it is, they are legal tender and usable for all debts, public and private.

Failure to accept them would likely earn a losing lawsuit for a legal debt.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

By the way, did you know that the federal government does not issue our currency.

That's right, it done by the Federal Reserve which is not an entity of the US Government.

In fact it is owned by the member banks. The Federal Reserve issues stock which the member banks hold.

While technically a non governmental entity, the Board of Governors are appoint by POTUS.

It was a bit of hocus pocus done by some very rich folks after a particularly nasty financial period. I doubt they were worried as much about the country as their own pocketbooks..

Amazing what one can find out if reads.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The laws makes them legal tender, yes. But no law restricts a business's or a creditor's right to establish a policy as to what form of legal tender they will accept. If they want to say, "Nothing smaller than a quarter or larger than a $50", that's perfectly legal.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Pisgah wrote:The laws makes them legal tender, yes. But no law restricts a business's or a creditor's right to establish a policy as to what form of legal tender they will accept. If they want to say, "Nothing smaller than a quarter or larger than a $50", that's perfectly legal.
For payment of a debt due, they can refuse cash payment, but they then cannot prosecute or penalize for non-payment after payment was attempted.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not sure if it's just Quebec or all of Canada, while I was up fishin last summer they have started to ROUND up or down depending. And I think they have stopped their penny production.
I think it was an episode of The Simpson's, ' if you have ever handled a penny, the government has your DNA.'
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Back in the early nineties, I got pulled over for an expired inspection sticker on the old '79 Ford pickup. The cop gave me a $104 fine which really burnt my azz.

A few days later I went down to the JP's office to pay the fine with $104 in pennies. They told me flat out that they were not taking it. I told them it was all of the money in the world that I had and was otherwise indigent......little bs in there, mind you........they told me that they will set up an "indigent hearing" and that I had better not be lying and said, "why don't you to go to the bank and bring back cash. I told them I had no more gas in the truck and only had enough to get home.

That's when the clerk had enough of me and she was going to talk to the judge and if I was late in paying the fine, they were going to add on more money.

I knew I was losing the battle so I whipped out a Ben Franklin and a Lincoln and patiently waited for my dollar change.

I was thinking to myself....$104 would buy me a new casting furnace...or primers...or a new four cavity mould...I was disgusted for quite some time----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD