Leverguns South African Safari results Pt 1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Leverguns South African Safari results Pt 1

Post by 86er »

First of all, I will be hosting next year's Leverguns Safari May 3-10th. You can contact me for all the details as we are the exclusive US Agent for this outfitter.

The trip started off with much anticipation. All of the members met at my house and had the limo bring us to the airport. After a quick lunch we were on the plane. As we taxied down the runway, disaster struck. Roger became seriously ill and the plane had to turn back. The paramedics took him off the plane and his lovely wife accompanied him. We were told he had a heart attack. The next day was quite somber after our group was reduced to four. We checked in via satellite phone every couple of hours. Thankfully, Roger returned to his home state and was told his condition was not diagnosed, in fact the hospital results were inconclusive. I am going to help Roger and Jonette re-book a trip when he is well again.

The first two days I did not find any opportunity to shoot. I preferred hunting on foot and taking whatever the Hunting Gods presented, instead of focusing on something specific. The next two days were spent hunting Giraffe with Grizzly Mike. So I didn't fire a shot for four days! The others were having great success, which I will post seperately.

On day four, we stalked a herd of zebra through the bushveldt. After 3 hours, we had them at 85 yards and I shot the first one to walk through a small opening. It ran 50 yards and fell over, having been shot through the top of the heart and lungs. Grizzly Cartridge sponsored us with ammo for everyone's gun. the 405gr Kodiak from my 1886 proved more than sufficient with complete penetration and a huge exit hole. The mare was estimated to be 12 years old based on the worn teeth and hooves.

The next presentation was a Common Blesbok. At 150 yards, this ram stood his ground to us. I shot offhand and my PH, tracker and I decided I had missed. As we carried on about 200 yards, here was the ram again, shot through the brisket and mortally wounded. It ran again and I put another bullet in it. My tracker Jonas followed blood and footprints for 300 more yard in the thick of the thick. Another quick shot through brush brought the ram down. I gave Jonas my Rolex Date-Just for his outstanding job.

That evening, OP (using my Savage 99 308 with Grizzly Cartridge 165gr loads) and I hunted and shot a Miniature Kangaroo. The 100 yard shot readily dumped the 16 pound animal.

The next day, I followed Gemsbok tracks from daylight until the last hour of light, finally getting within 175 yards of one that I thought respectable. The 1886 launched the Kodiak bullet true and the Gemsbok hit the ground shot through the heart and breaking the off-side shoulder. At 40", this is quite a good one:

Then my PH and I experienced a buffalo charge while hunting Hartebeest. I was crazy enought to turn and snap a photo before my PH grabbed me by the collar and we ran and made it to the truck that the tracker already had rolling to safety.

More on other animals and the other hunters luck later......
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Great report 86'er.
Some nice marksmanship as well, love that Gemsbok.
The pic of the buffalo charge is one I'd have mounted it the den!! Awesome!!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:shock: :shock: :D :D :D
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent post Joe.

That Blesbok sure was a tough critter. Watching African hunts on TV it always amazes me how tough African animals are. Even some of the smaller ones take quite a licking before they give it up.

That buff sure had large bosses. I'd suspect a rather large laundry bill.
Old Law Dawg
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good hunting 86er! I hope Roger is doing well. Looking forward to post and pics from the rest of the party. Those are some good looking animals. Congratulation!
Ricky

DWWC
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Wow, great post. How's the temp and humidity over there at this time?

And since I'm sure you've posted on this before and I missed it, where are the details on that engraved 1886 with the scout scope mount?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Awesome Joe!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

can't wait to see the rest! Did they think you were crazy for hunting with an "old" leveraction? :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The rifle is a Japanese 1886 High Grade. The scope mount is a custom job I put on it. I also used a molded monte-carlo style cheek piece that is held on with a velcro strap for eye alignment with scope. Grizzly Cartridge loaded me some 405gr Kodiak bullets @ 2150 fps. The PH's equated it to the old 450/400 3" or the 404 Jeffrey in terms of bullet weight, velocity and trajectory. Sighted 3" high at 100 yards, it is dead on a 170 yards. I kept my shots within that range when possible. One positive compliment from the PH was due to my willingness to shoot a second shot very rapidly when called for and I was always immediately ready after the boom. The PH's said most clients shoot and then stand there looking at the animal. I shot some of my game with the Savage 99 in 308 Win also. This was OP's second hunt (big game) ever, so he used my 99 since he doesnt yet own a rifle. He did very well on an Impala, Gemsbok, Waterbuck and Blesbok. The temperature was 50's at night and up to 90 in heat of the day. Very little humidity.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Oh, that's the 1886 from the Nilgai thread. I remember that one now. Nicely done. Must have been fun to mill that mount to fit your round contour barrel. :wink: Did you end up soldering it on or tapping in some short screws?

The 90's with low humidity sounds nice ... fairly comfortable. It's the 90's and high humidity like I have here in FL or what one might see on the gulf side of TX that I don't care for.

Look forward to Parts 2 through X.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Great pictures and congrats on the Safari :D !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great report Joe. Glad to see you all having some success.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

congrats Joe. Nice report.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

Congratulations and well done. Sorry I could not be there this year.

Regards
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe -

I can't believe you stopped to snap a picture of that cape buffalo! I think I would have had to change my pants!!! :shock:

Great report, and the pictures are just awesome! Sorry to hear about Roger - I hope he is doing better!!!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Excellent post. I look forward to the posts on the other hunters.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Talk about a close encounter :shock: .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jolly good, Sir! As I doff my cap respectfully! :mrgreen: :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I preferred hunting on foot and taking whatever the Hunting Gods presented, instead of focusing on something specific... So I didn't fire a shot for four days!
You hunt in good form. My hat is off to you. The one place I tried in Africa discouraged hunting on foot. Thanks for the report.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice report. I think if there had been a next picture of that buff it would have been from an angle most people don't see.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That was fun..Thanks!! How many fleas were on that buff's nose?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Just a note for information: Your "miniature kangaroo" is actually a Springhare (Pedetes caffer) a type of large rodent native to Africa.
Kangaroos (a group of marsupials) are confined to the Australian Region, though a few kinds of marsupials (like 'possums) live in North, Central and South America.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

The only critter in the post I think my .38-55 could handle was that African "kangaroo"!