POLITICS - new laws in Kansas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

POLITICS - new laws in Kansas

Post by brucew44guns »

I got an e-mail from my son-in-law this morning, telling me something I had not heard yet. Appears our Kansas House of Reps voted 121 to 0 in favor, and the State Senate voted 30 to 2 in favor also, of passing a law that prohibits the governor or any law agency to come into an area in the wake of tornados or any disaster and start grabbing guns. Unless the gun is part of a criminal investigation, they have to leave your guns alone here in Kansas, no New Orleans allowed here. Wonderful, I hope no disasters come though, wind has been bad lately as it is.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Texas passed such a law a seesion or two ago. The debacle in Louisiana moved people to act. That LEO who tackled that elderly woman on national TV has done more for firearms owner's right that any person in recent history.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I think they initiated that law because of what happened down in Greensburg. I have heard tell that there was some weapons confiscation going on but that everyone pretty much ended up getting their guns back. It is nice not to have that looming over our shoulder though isnt it!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[wind has been bad lately as it is.]

Politicians are often the source of thet, Bruce. :wink: :mrgreen:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am proud to see that the large majority of the Kansas Legislature is doing what their citizens want and need. Way to go. (Ok, maybe the 2 who voted against it are are doing what their constituents want)
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Believe it or not Arnie signed that law here in CA as well.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Unless the gun is part of a criminal investigation...
Excellent news for the citizens of Kansas, but in defensive terms, this qualifier is a breach in the wall.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

SC passed the same thing after NO's disasterous example. Kinda put the kibosh on the "oh, that can't happen here" mentality.

I don't have a problem with the qualifier. Yes, any qualifier invites abuse, but that is simply reality. I can't see - after the Katrina example - any LE branch having the gall to go around after a storm or other disaster and claiming the need to enter every home looking for guns used in crimes. Sounds like the qualifier just allows LEO's to continue to sieze weapons from crime scenes and those found on the persons of people in the act of breaking the law.

I know - I know, same "can't happen here" mentality. I'm just saying it is unlikely given the nationwide attention on this matter...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ysabel, I agree that the LEOs need to be able to continue to enforce laws during this time, and I also agree that we need protection from overzealous individuals. Compromise is never perfect, but humans aren't perfect either. I do think that laws should have some way for sense to be used so that enforcement is not to the detriment of all.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

In a "state of emergency" I hope those will hold up. The Bill of Rights sure didn't.

I'm sure this will go a long way to ensuring people are able to defend themselves
during emergencies. Also, it will allow people a solid platform to stand on if
and when any confiscations take place.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

brucew44guns that is great news for Kansas residents 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

I think it is great, The more pro gun laws passed, the more difficult it
is to reverse a pro gun movement.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

FWiedner wrote:
Excellent news for the citizens of Kansas, but in defensive terms, this qualifier is a breach in the wall.
I hope your smiley means you are only half serious. I know you desire to be a strict Constitutionalist, but sometimes these objections are just silly.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

JimT wrote:
FWiedner wrote:
I hope your smiley means you are only half serious. I know you desire to be a strict Constitutionalist, but sometimes these objections are just silly.
What do they mean by "criminal investigation"? If there was a shooting after
a tornado on the east side of town could everyone who lives in that part of
town be subject to a confiscation to determine the weapon used?

Or does the "investigation" have to, with no doubt, be pointing towards a single
firearm for it to be confiscated?

I have to admit to paranoia about how people can read into things and twist
them for their own ends. Our system is rife with such things.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I know Jim doesn't need my support to speak his own mind, but +1 anyway.
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JimT wrote:
FWiedner wrote:
I'm not so sure that's too farfetched......DV is often an excuse to bring a person in, or Child Protection, too.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

JimT wrote:I hope your smiley means you are only half serious. I know you desire to be a strict Constitutionalist, but sometimes these objections are just silly.
I don't view rights as a toy to be handled like a yo-yo at some goverment pinhead's whim.

They aren't something to be rolled out when the government needs a bit of favorable PR, and then reeled back in when nobody is looking.

Since the government both makes and interprets the law, "Unless the gun is part of a criminal investigation" can mean anything from it may have been used in a murder, to do you own one or know anyone who does?

People should not be subjected to "rubber" law.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim T. +2

Kansas is a very conservative state as they were until recently still arguing over creationism vs. Darwinism in the classroom! :o Nothing wrong with that, and its refreshing to revisit such an important item. But I suspect they will be conservative in how they interpret this new law. JMHO.

-Tutt