Marlin 1894 cowboy. A gun I liked so much I bought it 4x!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
lazarus870
Levergunner

Marlin 1894 cowboy. A gun I liked so much I bought it 4x!

Post by lazarus870 »

Canadian here so some of the prices are much more substantial than most of you are used to paying, and availability is also quite hindered.

Started off as a tactical handgun guy when I was in college many years ago, coming from a population-dense urban area. My early twenties mind could think of no other gun I wanted more than a Glock 17. Lightweight, reliable, easy to maintain, very neat.

I never really enjoyed the idea of a lever gun until 2014 when I picked one up. However, I do recall always wanting a Marlin 1894 Cowboy octagonal barrel in 44 mag, back when the Connecticut factory was alive and well. But I did not have the thousand bucks to get one. And even if I did, that could buy more 9 mm ammo or a new P226 instead.

By the time I decided to pull the trigger (pun intended?) "Marlins" were made in NY and the quality was quite lacking. I really wish I would have gotten one beforehand. I messaged dozens of people trying to track one down for a couple of years, looking on forums daily but no luck.

Finally in 2014 I found my first one, a .357. Since then I've gotten lucky and added a case-hardened Cowboy Competition .45 LC, a Cowboy 24-inch 44 mag almost brand new, and a 20-inch Cowboy LTD in .45 LC. That last one came with the original box from 2006, and all the original paperwork and is very mint. Less than 30 rounds through it!

So I own four of basically the same gun. It took me many years of wanting one and then deciding I want one and actually finding one. Then I found 3 in a year. Go figure.

I don't shoot cowboy action. Hell, I don't reload, which makes owning .45 LC seem useless and expensive. But oh well! :)

Something about those octagonal barrels, and the history behind the CT factory makes owning these guns so cool.

My tactical AR15 friends don't understand. Then again, lots of people don't get why I still like driving a stick shift, lol.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1894 cowboy. A gun I liked so much I bought it 4x

Post by GunnyMack »

Now you have 'the bug'! It's a good thing.
I'm sure for minimal amount you can find reloading will easily get you shooting your 45's more. It's fun, easy enough and satisifing !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Yep, time to start reloading!! :D
Love those Marlins too :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now all you need is a 32-20 one, or one in 218 Bee... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Agreed, time to start reloading!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 45 Colt may seem useless but at least you have two.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sounds like you have a nice collection of Marlin guns!!
The CB are Marlins treat to us lever addicts & yes you need to hand load the 45s
even if you start off with a Lee hand tool & a few hundred cast bullets, cheapest way to get
started into a habit that just goes on & on

ollogger
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You are well on your way to becoming as hooked on leverguns as the rest of us. Reloading is fun, too. You might get lucky and find a load your gun loves, or you might not be able to get as good as factory load accuracy. Either way, it is fun. My leverguns prefer handloads, but my Remington 700 in 30-06 doesn't show any preference.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost