Leverguns South African Safari Pt. 3

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Leverguns South African Safari Pt. 3

Post by 86er »

Our fellow member, Longjohni asked me to post for him. He is a reader but doesnt post here often. He brought with him a 35 Rem Marlin but decided to use another gun instead. The rifle is a Mannlicher Schoennauer made in 1950 that belonged to his late father. The caliber is 30-06 and he used 180 gr NP loaded by Grizzly Cartridge. He knows how to shoot it pretty good!

Impala taken at 200 yards:

Gemsbok shot at 125 yards:

John and his tracker Charles with Zebra. The shot was over 225 yards across a pond. The tracker had some work to do but within 100 yards a second shot was fired and the fine mare was collected:

John and the "One armed bandit" Crubbis with a Blesbok that stopped too long at only 50 yards:

A big Eland with a total weight of 1450 pound fell to one spine shot and one follow up shot in the heart on the last hour of the last day:

A fitting sight on the way out of camp:

The last photo of the trip:

Pt. 4 coming soon .....
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Amazing animals!!!
Sounds like the donated ammo was a first rate performer.
As well as the "old" outdated 30-06. :wink:
Fantastic post I look forward to part 4.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have very much enjoyed these reports and photos. For a lot of us here, these reports and photos are the closest we'll ever get to an African Safari. Thanks for posting.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
maddog
Levergunner

Post by maddog »

86er, man you got me fired up! Been reading your threads, since you got back. I'm 50 days and counting until my best friend and I, and our sons, leave for RSA for our first safari. We'll be in the limpopo hunting from July 4 to July 15. I'm taking my guide gun and some 300 gr. nosler partitions, handloaded to 1975 fps. Getting the last stuff ready as we speak. Just curious, the pics are fantastic, but how was the plane flight, SAPS office, ticks in the brush, etc.? Just curious about some of the incidental things on the trip.

Mad Dog
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Maddog:

The flight is long and tedious. We flew South African Airways. 9 hours from NY to Dakar and 9.5 hrs Dakar to J'Burg.

My PH picked up two ticks one day. Unfortunately, I brought one home with me also.

We pre-applied for firearms permits and had them before arrival. The South African Police were great and we spent less than 10 minutes with them upon arrival.

The Security (Black and White Uniforms) are corrupt. When Mike left with his handgun, they detained him in an office for hours and took all his money, threatening not to allow his handgun to depart. He just made the flight and they shorted him one bag, although his gun made it. It was only when a Police Officer arrived that the Security changed their tune.

When we left, the security wanted $50 per gun for departure. They made a number of comments in their native language. To their surprise I understood them and told them "Conde Polici, rapido"! or Get the Police Now! Suddenly they changed their tune. I yanked the ID badge off one of their necks and wrote down all the info. In native tongue I told them not to mess with us or it would be their worst nightmare. The guns arrived just fine. Be aware of this!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Love the stock on that gun. Mannlicher stocks always look sharp when well done.

Nice shooting on the critters those are some fine looking animals.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WoW! The zoo or pictures, I can't imagine what it's really like to se such msgnificent animals in the wild!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That is one fine lookin Manlicher.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Thanks for sharing those photos. Makes me want to save up and go.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

KirkD wrote:I have very much enjoyed these reports and photos. For a lot of us here, these reports and photos are the closest we'll ever get to an African Safari. Thanks for posting.
+1 I love to hear/see the stuff that goes on over there. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

86er-Thanks for posting those nice pictures of Longjohni's hunt with a Classic Bolt :D !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."