Kinda OT - safe storage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Kinda OT - safe storage

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Not specific to leverguns, but to guns in general. For those with safes, I imagine you store your leverguns - and other long guns - in the racks provided in such things. But how do you store your handguns? I had made a rack in my old safe that held my single-action revolvers upright, cradling the barrel in a padded "v" or "u" shape, with the barrel horizontal to the safe floor, and the handle facing out towards the door. I could store more handguns that way, and it was easy to get them in and out without scratching them against one another.

I was thinking about making one for my "new" safe, but have seen "rack system" for sale at Cabelas and Sportsman's Guide. They are coated metal racks. Anyone use these? If so, are they sturdy? Do you like them?

Thanks!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I tried a bunch of things. I don't like the handguns exposed to being bunged up and it seems that if a thing can happen, it will. So, I either store the gun in the factory plastic box or get one for it. Getting all the boxes the same ensures they stack neatly. I know you like "neat", I've seen your projects. The box I use for my pistols (and I like shorter barrels) is the MTM long term storage box. They were about $10 each but the price has gone up. I'm not ashamed to admit that when I see them at the old price I snap them up... You know, just in "case"... :lol:

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

In my safe, I screwed to the inside of the door a carpet covered piece of plywood. Then I puchased some wooden pegs sold by HOPPES for hanging firearms,not using the brass nails they came with, but instead used long sheet rock screws slightly counter sunk into the peg., and screwed them to the door. DEPENDING ON HOW THEY BALANCE, I use one peg in the trigger guard and one peg under the barrel, however just one peg can be used and the guns just hang upside down. My safe is small and hanging them on the door is a space saver.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I have an upper shelf so I just put mine in gun rugs and stack them on top of each other.
Break on through to the other side!!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have the top inside lined with 1/4" plexiglass. I drill and tap the plexiglass for a 1/4" X 20 and install a bolt through a piece of airline hose. The racks above the plexiglass and the door have welded in rubber coated hangers.-----------Sixgun
Last edited by Sixgun on Thu May 15, 2008 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote: I know you like "neat", I've seen your projects.
Am I that obvious? :wink:

I use a modification of this system right now. Bought some plastic tackle boxes that have only one large compartment. I am able to put several smaller handguns in these, separated by pieces of an old towel. I use this for handguns I don't shoot that often.

In the old safe I replaced the inner door cover with pegboard and just hung them.

I had thought about making one by using a board with adjustable coated pegs in it that would fit into the muzzles of the handguns. I just don't like the idea of guns sitting stored for any length of time with something in the barrel - no matter how unlikely it is to cause any rust. I guess I'm paranoid!
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Yep I have the 6 gun wire rack from Cabelas. Holds my Ruger SA and 1911"s .It works as advertised, the guns are held upside down. It has a soft rubber coating that does not mar the finish. Downside a bit pricey :roll:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Hobie wrote: I know you like "neat", I've seen your projects.
Am I that obvious? :wink:

I use a modification of this system right now. Bought some plastic tackle boxes that have only one large compartment. I am able to put several smaller handguns in these, separated by pieces of an old towel. I use this for handguns I don't shoot that often.
The one thing that bothers me about plastic boxes is that they will melt around (and presumably INTO the gun if exposed to sufficient heat as in a house fire.
In the old safe I replaced the inner door cover with pegboard and just hung them.
While I can't do that with my set-up and I know many do and are happy with that, I can't bring myself to do it as I know that every time I open the door the guns will swing with rubbing on the bearing surface(s).
I had thought about making one by using a board with adjustable coated pegs in it that would fit into the muzzles of the handguns. I just don't like the idea of guns sitting stored for any length of time with something in the barrel - no matter how unlikely it is to cause any rust. I guess I'm paranoid!
I hear you, I only like to put cleaning materials in my bores and I wonder how the crown would be affected by such storage.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie -

Your strategy on buying these when you find them at the old prices is a sound one. As you probably know, all modern plastics are derived from hydrocarbons. Given that oil is at a record and showing no signs of letting off, the price of everything made from plastics will continue to increase.

I hadn't thought of the melting angle. I may just go with that coated wire rack and let everyone know how it works!
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

You could try something like this:

To quote a lumber supply biz in Tyler, "Good wood, properly used, has never failed".
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Texican wrote:You could try something like this:

To quote a lumber supply biz in Tyler, "Good wood, properly used, has never failed".
Texican -

That is pretty much the exact set up I used in my old safe. Was thinking about replacing the "u" or "v" shape notches holding the barrels with a peg I could move up or down. That way I could adjust it to the exact height needed to hold the handgun, but also reconfigure the set up as needed. I just don't want to put something down the barrel for extended lengths of time.

I may still do your set-up - it worked well for me for years. :D