MEC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

MEC

Post by 6pt-sika »

Never really been a fan of MEC products . I cut my proverbial shotgun loading teeth on Ponsness Warren 800B , 800C and 375 loaders . And when I got out of the shotgun games I sold them all . In recent years I got the bug to load shotgun ammo again starting by necessity with the 10 gauge 2 7/8" stuff and going from there . I've got 600 JR's for all six gauges , 650's for the 12 & 16 . A Grabber for the 28 as well as 9000G's for the 20 and 28 as well as lines on good used 9000G's in 12 an 16 . I'd like to end up with 9000G's across the board 12-410 and 600JR's for the 10,12,16 and 20 for buck n slugs as well as shot loads in the 10 . Buying this stuff in good used condition is certainly the way to go (for me at least) . If I can seal the deal on the two used 9000G's . the 650's the Grabber and a couple of the JR's will leave my possession 🤔 Be kinda nice if I could rig up a 9000G for my 10 gauge skeet trap bird loads 😉👍🏻
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: MEC

Post by GunnyMack »

I started on a MEC 700, upgraded to a grabber. Converted the 700 to .410. Still have the Grabber but it just gathers dust since I bought a Dillon 900SL.
LOVE IT! Took a bit to get it dialed in but what a fantastic press. I load all my international trap Ammo on it. When I need more 28's I just swap out a few parts and away we go.
The Dillon holds a whole bag of shot, easy adjustment of shot charges. Powder tube holds enough 700x to load just about 250 12ga. Auto indexes, auto feeds empties and kick out a loaded round. 600 rounds/hr.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:18 pm I started on a MEC 700, upgraded to a grabber. Converted the 700 to .410. Still have the Grabber but it just gathers dust since I bought a Dillon 900SL.
LOVE IT! Took a bit to get it dialed in but what a fantastic press. I load all my international trap Ammo on it. When I need more 28's I just swap out a few parts and away we go.
The Dillon holds a whole bag of shot, easy adjustment of shot charges. Powder tube holds enough 700x to load just about 250 12ga. Auto indexes, auto feeds empties and kick out a loaded round. 600 rounds/hr.
There's no getting around it I would still rather have all Ponsness Warren 800's and an LS-1000 for the 10 gauge but thats a bit cost prohibitive . We're talking $900-1000 a machine times 6 ! And I'd still need to keep 600JR's for buck and slugs in the 10-20 .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya! The nice thing about the Dillon is you can change to other gauges fairly cheap( opposed to buying another machine).
Look at it this way 6pt, you have EVERYTHING you need and are ready for any situation that might arise... From slug/ buck loads for a zombie snowflake invasion to shootin clay birds!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I may still eventually kick in the schekels and get a PW LS-1000 for the 10 gauge and have then do the modification at the factory for 2 7/8" .
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

Another vote for PW. Ponsness Warren has set the standard, you can spend more if you want
Way less complicated than dillon.
I am one gun away from happy
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Back in the 80's when I got into shotgun reloading/ shooting competitions the PW machines were cussed about by those that had them. I went MEC on advice from a PW guy. To each his own.
I love my Dillon!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:27 am Back in the 80's when I got into shotgun reloading/ shooting competitions the PW machines were cussed about by those that had them. I went MEC on advice from a PW guy. To each his own.
I love my Dillon!
Really !

I had a couple used 800-B's first then got four 800-C's as well as a 375 for the 16 and 10 . I might add I still have the Metallic II that I got back in the mid 80's and it's pretty much the only rifle/pistol press I use other then a CH-4D for the 505 Gibbs .

I must say I never had problems to speak of whether it was with the old used ones or the new ones .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We have a guy in our gun club that has a pair of Spolars with additional tooling for the other two gauges . While they seem nice enough I'll still stick with the PW over them given the choice .
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

for the money I like the Mecs.....just finished loading some shells for tomorrow....
I think my 650 is 25 yo and still works great.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS