Melting 22lr and 9mm casings for brass casting: Dangers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oregon45
Levergunner

Melting 22lr and 9mm casings for brass casting: Dangers?

Post by oregon45 »

I've got several thousand 9mm shell casings and about 100 pounds of 22lr cases that Dad and I are thinking about melting down now that we've gotten into metal casting. The 9mm hulls have been deprimed and tumbled, the 22lr's have had no treatment. Are there any dangers to melting down these casings, besides those posed by normal metal melting? Are there any special precautions or preparatory steps we should take?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I don't know why there would be. If everything is deprimed &/or fired, all there is is carbon residue &/or verdigris that will end up in your dross...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

All that brass stuff you buy in Korea is surplus shell caseings....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Cartridge brass is higher in Cu than say, 360 machining grade. It should cast well. My only caution would be to make VERY sure all the primers are gone - even spent ones have steel anvils - but it sounds like you already have that covered.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Hmmm. I think my new forge will get hot enough to play that direction.

Hmmm.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

So are you planning to make anything that might be of particular intrest to the group?
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Lotsa possibilities.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

You want to make extra sure that the 22 lr doesn't have any duds in it. The last thing you want is a couple grains of powder touching of in the crucible... And since folks don't think twice about just tossing a dud 22 it's hard to find a bunch of old 22 brass that doesn't have a dud or three in with the rest. Otherwise, melting the brass down is just melting the brass down. Do it in a well ventilated area - just like melting any other brass.

I have a hand made muzzle loading pistol built around a Jeep steering column for a barrel. The brazing on it was all done with 22 shells - in a shop miles away from any electricity source. Ol' Dacio did all his work on a bellows powered forge.

So, what are you thinking of casting out of it?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
oregon45
Levergunner

Post by oregon45 »

Don't know what we'll cast yet; my Dad just got his forge set up and we've been casting aluminum ingots. Once we get our sand molds set up we'll likely cast flywheels to go with our miniature windmill.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Over on the Handi board on Graybeards they were talking about having fore end spacers and trigger guards made of metal to replace the plastic ones that come with the guns now. Someone had said that brass would look nice on a Buffalo Classic. H&R was getting $75 IIRC for the blues steel ones while they still had them.

Some guys would be willing to pay $20 or $25 for a rough cast one I'm sure. that might be something to consider.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

A lot of good comments and suggestions given here. I would comment on it as well. If you are worried about a possible eruption from a primer or loaded round, the best way is to set up your melter so you don't have to be around it. When it is cool, load up the crucible or furnace with the metal to be melted turn the heat on and leave the area. If something happens, it will not hurt you or you equipment if it is shielded. I used to do part time security at an aluminum recycling foundry years back. They had three big furnaces. Would shut down on saturday morning, Sunday mornings along about 2:00AM they would come back, load up each furnace with about 4,000 lbs of various scrap aluminum, turn the gas on and leave. Come back Monday mornings around five AM and have a bunch of melted metal, sometimes it was interesting in the building with the popping and banging of wierd stuff that had gotten into the scrap. Of course they would cast left over aluminum into cast iron bath tubs then stick a piece of aluminum automobile piston with connecting rod into it before it got hard so it could be picked up by a crane. During the work week, they would need more metal and lay these on a slopped surface so they would melt and flow into the furnace. One side would be melting while steam would be coming out of the back end of the big block. The cast iron bath tubs made right nice sized pigs of aluminum. Was interesting to watch what they did but sure was nasty work. IF you have fire ant mounds in your area, try casting some aluminum down into a fire ant mound hole. One guy here in Florida does that then digs the casting out and cleans it up, makes it into lamps and objects of art. Also gets rid of fire ants. Some of his pieces will stand six feet high. ATB
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I do this for a lot of my knife fittings and M/L parts. No problems yet.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Cliff wrote:... IF you have fire ant mounds in your area, try casting some aluminum down into a fire ant mound hole. One guy here in Florida does that then digs the casting out and cleans it up, makes it into lamps and objects of art. Also gets rid of fire ants. Some of his pieces will stand six feet high. ATB
That is beyond cool.

Death, destruction and Art... all in a generally PC pakage.

What's not to love? :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

LOL +1 O I !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is neat. However, I'd hate to do that digging in clay! :lol: Yeah, I'm a lazy so and so...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson