OT - Magnaporting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Magnaporting

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Honorable Sirs:
I have a S & W Model 629 Classic DX 44 Magnum which I enjoy shooting very much. I have been considering having it magnaported. Is this feature worth having? If so is there any configuration that is more beneficial (2 port vs 4 port, etc.)?
Thanks,
ole pizen slinger
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you enjoy shooting it, why port it ? 8)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

mag na porting will reduce muzzle flip. The porting style you choose is dependent on barrel length. I have owned several guns with the porting from them and I enjoyed the shooting of them more after the porting. Your sights will get covered with residue and will not stand out as well after a few shots.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Back in the early seventies when Magnaporting first came out, I sent them a 6 and 1/2 nickel 29. Made a considerable difference in muzzle flip and recoil. I have since logged close to 8K out of this sixgun and yes, I recommend it, especially if you do a fair amout of shooting with it. It also depends on how recoil sensitve you are and whether or not you prefer the heavier bullets. The Magnaporting on my 29 is the standard one port on each side of the sight.

Fast forward a mess of years--I have since owned many other 29's and Ruger SA and for some reason, I never saw a need to do it to these guns. Maybe I'm getting numb--I know my hearing ain't the same.

I did not even bother to have it done on the 2" Model 29 Tunnel rat pictured below. I just use 200 grain bullets.

-------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Thanks for the replys, guys. I wish to do some coyote hunting with this pistol and thought magnaporting might reduce muzzle flip thus allowing one to get back on target quicker.
ole pizen slinger
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

If you shoot cast bullets a lot it can cause some problems with lots of leading in the ports. I find accuracy with cast is not as good out of a ported barrel versus a non ported. Jacket do not seem to make a difference. My findings any way. Others may vary.
Bob
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I have a Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh with a 6" Magnaported barrel (2 Ports). I have shot over 7,500 rounds thru this revolver since I bought it last August. At least 7,300 of those have been cast lead. I haven't experienced any leading in the ports. As previously stated, you will get some fouling on the front sight.

It appears to reduce muzzle flip to some degree.

Paul
Irascible
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Irascible »

I had a very inaccurate 6", M29-2 in nickle. It is now a very accurate gun. I had it MagNaPorted and while it was there they cut an 11 degree forcing cone and an 11 degree crown. Muzzle lift was lessoned, but recoil is the same.
I have a M19 4" which always shot too high. MagNaPorted brought the point of impact within the sights adjustment. I also had that forcing cone cut to 11 degrees.
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be - Abe Lincoln