It IS better to be lucky than good!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullet Bob

It IS better to be lucky than good!

Post by Bullet Bob »

I took my new to me 94 Centennial to the range today for the first time to get a feel for it, along with a box of Federal 150 grain bullets.

After two shots at 25 yards to make sure the sight was centered from the factory, I changed the target and moved my old Bull-X target stand to the 100 yard berm.

I was using a Merit Optical Device, which is like a little peep sight that attaches to your shooting glasses with a suction cup, to shoot this three shot group from my bench rest:

I am not that good, ever, with these kind of sights. When I looked through the spotting scope and saw it, I quit while I was ahead, and went and pulled the target for posterity! I used the rest of the box to wear out a 12" diamond-shaped steel plate offhand at 100 yards. I can see why Tuco and others like these babies for offhand shooting.

I haven't heard many good things about the post-64 model 94's, although I have shot many pre-64's growing up and was never that impressed in my callow youth, because I wanted power and a scope. This one was slick, especially for a new gun, without being sloppy. I still haven't decided yet on whether to put a tang or receiver sight on it. Gonna think on it. Here's a slightly better picture of the gun:

One of the problems with being old enough to have acquired too many guns (but not old enough to be retired and have lots of time) is that none of them get enough range time. I took this Colt New Frontier .22 with me also today, just about as much fun as you can have after your joints start to ache:

And lastly, I also took this new to me Sig-Sauer P6 (P225 here) 9mm, a German police trade in. I've heard varying things about the wear on various lots of these guns that have been imported; the recent batch of around 40,000 seems pretty good. A local dealer has them for $299.00 with box, test target, and a spare magazine. They also have a manual, if you can read German! This one has the slightest bit of wear on the outside, looked like new on the inside, and handled solids and hollowpoints with aplomb. Very nice gun:

There you have it, a day at the range. May all of you have good luck this weekend.
Last edited by Bullet Bob on Fri May 23, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

All I can say is WOW!!!

That is one sweet rifle and excellent shooting :D
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is the way mine shoots. They are great guns aren't they. Federals shot the best for me and the velocity is about 2450 fps.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

Thanks everyone. I honestly don't think I could shoot a group like that again with the factory sights for love nor money.

Will have fun trying though.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice post..Nice rifle..Nice group..I've done the exact same thing..stopped shooting when there is a nice 3 shot group.. I call them kind O targets.."One Fer The Wall"..
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

More words about the merit optical device please. Does it use a prescription lens?

That's outstanding shooting, and you waited two shots longer than I would have, LOL !

Grizz
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

great range report, some very nice firearms. Well done and congrats
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Grizz wrote:More words about the merit optical device please. Does it use a prescription lens?

That's outstanding shooting, and you waited two shots longer than I would have, LOL !

Grizz
Grizz,

Here is a link to an article about the Merit Device in Gun Blast by Jeff Quinn. http://www.gunblast.com/MeritOptical.htm

The Merit Device is no more than an adjustable aperture. There is no form of lens in it, although at one time it was possible to have a prescription lens installed in the device. It is identical to the adjustable iris used in camera lenses and does exactly the same thing, helping tp change the focal depth so you have a wider range of things which will be in focus, in optimizes focal depth.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D Love that rifle!! GOOD shootin!! :D
phlatnose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phlatnose »

Bullet Bob,
If that was shot at 100yds, that is a good group. Try for a 10 shot group and see if it was luck or not. Either way its good. I use a larger target ( 6" i think)at 100yds that fits a globe front sight. It must be hard seeing and aiming at a 1" target at that distance. I have 20/15 vision in my good eye, but I think I would have trouble aiming at something that small.
Love the rifle.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hey, I'll take lucky any time she comes my way! Great post and pictures!!! I've got the same problem - accumulating guns to enjoy in my retirement and pass along to my kids, but don't have near enough time to enjoy them all!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Excellent shooting in a classic 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice group. Good shooting.

I fell in love with the looks of the Centennial the first time I saw it. And, I'm not generally partial to the looks of the short mag tube. But, the half octagon and half round bbl. and the overall looks of the rifle really appeal to me. Going to have to get one some day.
Old Law Dawg
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

Thanks for the comments, but really, it was pure luck. Usually with bead front sights and a non-aperture rear I'm more in the 3 & 1/2" to 6" range at 100 yards, depending on the day - and that's from a bench. I just can't seem to consistently place a bead in the groove of the rear sight.

All my guns with aperture sights have either a blade front (on the sporters), or an aperture front on the target .22's. These are much better, for me, for shooting paper, or my favorite target, the wily tin can.

I have 3 target .22's with target irons; a Winchester 52D, an old single-extractor Anschutz Match 54, and a Martini 12/15. With the first two, on a windless day if I hold my tongue right, I can get 2" groups, maybe 1 & 1/2" at 100 yards, if I'm lucky, using Wolf Match Target Extra. Somedays I can't. Once you're in your mid-50's, scopes are a blessing at longer ranges, although I have one friend my age who can still see like an eagle. I hate him (just kidding).

What the heck, here's the 52, since this is sort of a Winchester thread:

Somebody always asks if I'm not afraid it will fall off of the deck rail - if you picked this thing up, you'd know why I'm not worried: