OT- Haven't Been Doing Much Shooting But...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

OT- Haven't Been Doing Much Shooting But...

Post by GANJIRO »

...I have been taking advantage of decent sea conditions taking my outrigger canoe offshore fishing, my last outing I caught a decent snapper, and a Yellowfin Tuna the trip before. After I fillet the fish I usually freeze the carcass for later use as bait in the crab traps my Dad and me made 35 years ago. Today a put the snapper carcass in a crab trap and dropped it off my pier in back yard and an hour later I had a LARGE Mangrove Crab in the trap. Snapper and crab for dinner! :lol:

My Ahi (Yellowfin Tuna)

My Mangrove Crab
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Oh. the terrible rigors of life in the Sandwich Islands! Some of us might even find such problems, well, fun! :D

Grace and Peace
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice catch Ji. Be sure to post these pictures again about the last of Jan.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

nice looking dinner enjoy my friend
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

your catch is awesome. the mangrove crab looks very similar to the blue crab we have here in the Chesapeake bay, except the claws look a bit different. Here, one crab would be just a start but I bet it will make a nice appetizer. Well done. hope you enjoyed.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You could always shoot them once when you got home, just to make you feel better! :wink:

Awesome Ji - certainly looks like a great way to relax a bit and enjoy one of the finest places God created... :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice catch! Looks goooooood. :D
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Man Ji, I don't know how you can even get up in the morning having nothing cool to do around your parts. :roll:

Good luck with the fishermanly stuff and keep taking those nice pics. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I LOVE seafood. I have never caught a fish however. I even bought a book when by boys were 12 that instructed on Fresh Water Fishing. If I had to bring in dinner it wouldnt be fish. That is why I shoot. Cause I can hunt deer an such. ON a seperate note... What is it with Hawaiians and Spam Sandwiches? Seems everyone loves them. They even sell them in the convenience stores.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

505stevec wrote:What is it with Hawaiians and Spam Sandwiches? Seems everyone loves them. They even sell them in the convenience stores.
You can thank WWII for that with everything being rationed SPAM was the only readily available meat protein during that time. Hawaiians have always loved pork (Kalua Pork, and Laulau dominant features in Hawaiian menus), and salt is the predominant spice in native cuisine so SPAM was an instant hit. Very convenient too.
I think you're thinking of the "SPAM Musubi" which is a pressed brick of steamed rice topped with a slice of SPAM and wrapped with a sheet of Nori seaweed, actually pretty tasty stuff and easy to pack for hikes, hunting and fishing trips, beach picnics, etc. or just a quickie snack.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Nice fish. I am heading out fishing with my brother today.
I was raised by a retired U.S. Navy lifer, he had spent 15 years in and around the islands, as a child we sometimes had sausages and ground beef, but we always had Spam. I have always loved it. breakfast lunch or dinner all kinds of good stuff can be made with Spam.
Thanks for sharing the pictures
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, bounty of the sea!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I miss being close to the water; I miss my canoes and kayak, which are stored 30 miles away. Great catches!
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Looks like Sushi time :D
Nice catch Ji.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Ganjiro,

I always enjoy your posts from the Sandwich Islands. I feel like I am reading National Geographic. Keep the pictures coming.

Those are some serious claws on that crab. We don't grow them that big on the Gulf Coast.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

So, that's not surf and turf for dinner. Claw and maw?
I think you're thinking of the "SPAM Musubi" which is a pressed brick of steamed rice topped with a slice of SPAM and wrapped with a sheet of Nori seaweed, actually pretty tasty stuff and easy to pack for hikes, hunting and fishing trips, beach picnics, etc. or just a quickie snack.

Just a suggestion, get the New York/Chicago yuppies hooked on those Spam bricks and make yourself a million bucks. Just tell them it's sushi and you're in.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Ji,

Do those Yellow Fin Tuna put up a good fight? Sure looks like they would. Looks like they are in the Bone fish Family.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Ji, not to change the subject, but I remember a while back you posted pics of your canoe and outrigger set up. What is the name of the company that makes that outrigger set up...???? Thanks.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Bigahh wrote:Ji,

Do those Yellow Fin Tuna put up a good fight? Sure looks like they would. Looks like they are in the Bone fish Family.
Oh yeah, tuna put up a good fight. The big ones will put a hurtin' on you. That's a baby tuna he's holding in that picture.

But they are not in the "bonefish" family, they are in the "tuna" family :D
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

66GTO wrote:
Bigahh wrote:Ji,

Oh yeah, tuna put up a good fight. The big ones will put a hurtin' on you. That's a baby tuna he's holding in that picture.

But they are not in the "bonefish" family, they are in the "tuna" family :D
Amen, Tunas are related to Mackerels and the Wahoo and are some of the most streamlined fishes in the ocean even having indentations in their bodies for the fins to fit into to make them more hydro-dynamically clean. They are also warm blooded unlike most other fish species so can move most efficiently even in colder waters. The AHI Yellowfin Tuna I have in the pictures is 10 pounds but they get over 300 pounds, and the Bluefin Tunas get over 1400 pounds. Pound for pound the only fish that's as tough as a tuna is the GT- Giant Trevally. I LOVE catching these smaller tunas on light tackle, GREAT fun.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Mokwaw wrote:Ji, not to change the subject, but I remember a while back you posted pics of your canoe and outrigger set up. What is the name of the company that makes that outrigger set up...???? Thanks.
When I bought my used Grumman Canoe the privious owner had the ama (float) from another single man canoe which he threw in for free. This ama was from an older discontinued canoe and it had no iako (outrigger arms) so I fabricated my own using CPVC pipe with wood closet rods inside for added stiffness and strength. They are attached to the hull bracing with stainless steel U-bolts. On another canoe I built with plywood and fiberglass the ama (float) was made using PVC pipe which I filled with polyester foam and capped the ends with wood plugs which I shaped for hydrodynamic efficiency.
On my smaller 11' fiberglass canoe I fabricated an outrigger using 2 lobster pot floats for the ama, and again CPVC and PVC pipe with wood closet rod for the iako. This setup is attached to the hull via the oarlocks using ss carriage bolts and wing nuts. Let me know if you have more questions on fabbing an outrigger.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

LOL that crab looks rather "pinchy".

Cool outriggers.

Always a treat to read your posts, Ganjiro; makes me wish for sun and sea.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Ji, thanks for the info. Looks very stable, I haven't been in a canoe for about 25 yrs. I'm wanting to get one for a trip down the Wabash river here in Indiana. The Wabash passes by where I live now and continues south/west down past my old home grounds where I grew up. I fig it to be maybe 3-5 day float trip. Since I'm a novice at canoeing, that float looks like just the key to keep me upright........Thanks again...the pics and your explanation help tremendously....................
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Mokwaw wrote:Ji, thanks for the info. Looks very stable, I haven't been in a canoe for about 25 yrs. I'm wanting to get one for a trip down the Wabash river here in Indiana. The Wabash passes by where I live now and continues south/west down past my old home grounds where I grew up. I fig it to be maybe 3-5 day float trip. Since I'm a novice at canoeing, that float looks like just the key to keep me upright........Thanks again...the pics and your explanation help tremendously....................
Since it's a river trip I'm assuming no white water or launching thru surf and only paddle speed, no outboard motor so I'm guessing you won't be needing a full size outrigger like on the "Makule Akule" nor even the extra rear bracing on the short float of "Lil' Vandi" just a simple single short float on one side will make a world of difference in stability. No need stainless steel U-bolts either as you are far from any salt spray. If you need a source for the lobster pot floats, more detailed pictures, or any advice please feel free to ask.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Spam sushi rolls?!? :shock:

Now... I have seen everything!!! :D
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Ji, thanks for the detailed pics. Not expecting any whitewater or hi surf. That river just gets wider and slower the farther south you go. The Wabash used to be one of the main travel arteries before trains and roads. Think it would just be fun and relaxing trip. Would put in here at Huntington, In. and float to either Hutsonville, Il. or Vincennes, In. for take out......