Vortex optics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Vortex optics

Post by GunnyMack »

I decided I need a scope for my much neglected 22-250. Decided to try a Vortex 4-12 .
Do any of the members here have/ use Vortex?
Thoughts, opinions please.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Vortex optics

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a couple. So far they seem to be well made and holding up well and pretty good prices. I have one of their scout scopes on my M1A Scout Squad and it's gotten quite a bit of use. I haven't had it out in any extreme cold yet so can't compare it to my Leupolds completely but so far I like them.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Excellent optics. I have one ANIB for sale in the classifieds. 4x16x44
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

At the gun club I run, Vortex is one the most popular scope. I have one a Ruger Precision and its great. I've used it to hit just over a mile and monthly dial up and down from 100 to 1100 yds and it stays consistent. I bought it used and an hour after I mounted it on my rifle, a wind came up, blew it about 6 feet and bent the top turret. I sent it in and got it back in 10 days. It looked better than when I bought it! All caps that were lightly scratched were also repaired free. They're warranty and customer service were amazing. That being said, they have lower end scopes that I've seen here that had lots of issues but their high-end scopes are as good as any out there.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Got one of them. A 3-9 X 40. It is as good as my Nikon Buckmaster. Maybe better. So far, it has been solid and dependable.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Master Gunny.....they are excellent for the money and a fair medium of the road scope.......remember I told you about me smashing mine and they fixed/replaced for nuttin....then I did have issues with it but that's not worth explaining. They have excellent customer service...better than most...about equal or better than Leupold....

With scopes you get what you pay for.......Vortex and Nikon both make great average scopes.....anything less is for junk rifles that you are selling.....I have a box of about 20-30 bushnells, jap junk, tasco's and other trash that all work and I use them for the above purpose....you know..$59.95 gunshop specials....

Now if you want "the S" and are a competitor and like to impress, nothing less than the higher grade of Leupolds or preferably the Nightforce will do...then there's the Schmidt and Benders which are over my head...

You ever see people tapping on the turrets of their scopes? Sometimes it takes a shot or two to make the adjustment move......
You won't have that with a Nightforce , the choice of Navy Seal snipers.-------006

Just remembered another important trait......you know these things but others may not.......the 30 mm tube vs. the 1" tube....the 30 mm tube gives more elevation for long range shooting.....we all know that sometimes with a so-so cartridge how we run out of elevation after several hundred yards.....well, with a 30 mm tube and a 20 degree scope rail mount with the scope set at its bottom elevation number at 100 meters you will be able to shoot out to 1500 yards with a good 6.5 cartridge. (I'm not sure the exact degree of scope rail..it may be 5 degrees)
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

With scopes, yes! You get what you pay for. Anything under about $150 and it probably isn't going to be much good. Think about the material and the steps going in to making them. Quality glass is not going to be cheap. However, for hunting in daylight under 200 yards, you can go with the scopes which are under $200 and probably be very happy. Sort of like with footwear, lower cost can be all you ever need if you are not going out several days away from civilization and must have very good to best quality. $60 scopes are sort of like Wal Mart $12 shoes. OK for just around the house, but get uncomfortable when you use them for anything serious. I learned to avoid $59.95 scopes when one came apart inside while shooting a .30-06 it was mounted on. If it couldn't stand up to a .30-06, it sure wasn't going to stand up to time and weather.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh yes I know, more $ = better. I do like my Leupolds. Im too cheap to buy a nightforce !
I've got lots of rifles but not enough scopes. I figured one of these Vortex 4-14 would be a nice addition to live its days on my 22-250 that see's very little use, nowhere near a praire dog town, no farm to hunt groundhogs anymore. So i ordered one from Amazon. If it works out great, if not ill send it back.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
LeverLuvr
Levergunner

Post by LeverLuvr »

I have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40 I just mounted on my Tikka T3X in 243. Haven't been to the range yet, but optics look good on the Biden sign 1/4 mile down the road :mrgreen: Saw a lot of good reviews for them (scopes).
My other wife is a Les Paul Custom
God, Guns, Guitars, and Peanut Butter Pie..... Oh, and I guess the wife.
From my cold, dead, gun powder residue ridden hands.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gunny, I have Vortex 6-24’s on two Savages. One Is my jug shoot Gun( long barreled 30-06) and one is my more or less tactical 308. By the way yes both have the bolt on the correct side not the abominations most of y’all shoot. I have been very happy with them for the intended uses. You know I like Leupold but the better Vortex are about even with the mid range leupolds. I also have a couple Vortex scopes on 22’s and such. Wish I had known you were interested, I could have brought one and you coulda looked through one Sunday. What are ya gonna use for rings and bases?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well T-bone this Savage I was shooting yesterday got me thinking my 22-250 needs to be back in working order. This morning as I was dropping blm off at the pool I was looking through scopes at Amazon. I looked at reviews and most were very high rated. So I decided to order the 4-14- maybe its a 4-12.... gotta look again!
Anyhow, I can't find my load data from way back when so I have to work up new loads. The scope that was on it has migrated to my 17 rem, an old Simmons 6.5-20x. It has been a very good scope but I won't put it on a heavy recoiling rifle. Anyhow, all my varmint rigs are ready except for the 22-250. Gee I got varmint rigs in 17, hornet, bee, 223 and the 22-250, guess I'm ready for stampeding hordes of vermin!!
I would have bought another Leupold but im pinching pennies since Claro's surgeries!

Oh yeah, it has a Redfield base on it !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have the VORTEX 4-12x44 on a .270. It is one of the best scopes I have ever owned. Shooting steel at 300 and 400 yards is so easy with it it almost becomes boring. I have 3 vortex scopes, had to send one back because the illumination was not visible when the knob was in the correct detent with the #s, it was ON at the 1/2 way point. They gladly corrected it and sent it back to me within the week it was sent.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well Gunny. I got nuthin bad to say about Vortex ....Redfield bases???!!! We have to talk buddy. In my NEVER to be humble opinion ( see last gunroom entry) you can use a less expensive scope or even rifle and scope if the interface between them is rock solid. Again opinion but EGW base and Warne rings are bulletproof(well fall/drop Proof anyway). I know the Redfield mount is great because of adjustment but I have seen several of those rear screws loosen up and zero goes away. Just my unsolicited two cents. AND yes they are ugly mounts and rings until you put three shots in the same hole. Then they are downright SEXY.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have never had Weaver mounts fail. Those Weaver steel rings are perfection in my experience.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

First you get sent to the principle, now you are talking smack about redfield bases & rings...
The base was all I could get back in 92. As long as you know the proper way to install the rings they can't really loosen with use. I've used redfield on all my Mauser builds, not one has ever loosened -338, 7 x57, 6 mm Rem, 257 AI, 375 H&H.

I actually prefer these, the one piece base is strong, and as you said the adjustment in the base helps. Besides they are STEEL not recycled coors light cans.

So I ordered the Crossfire II 4-12x44. Has the BDC reticle.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My experience with almost 50 years of .22-250 varmint hunting has shown you don't need much elevation. And if you got a scope that had a huge objective lens it wont help much because that little 50-55 gr. bullet wont shoot accurately much beyond maybe 500 yds. max. The bullet travels pretty flat to that point, but the light weight means that even a light breeze with push the little bullet a long ways off target easily. So I never worried about large objective lens except as they help with light gathering.
I use a 6x24 target scope on my 700 VSF in .22-250, and the objective bell almost touches the barrel. I like my scopes to be as close to the barrel as possible to eliminate parallex as much as possible. The light gathering isn't that important to me as I'm rarely shooting early or late when light is dim.
.22-250 has been a favorite varmint and even deer cartridge for me for many decades. I'd never be without a gun in this caliber!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/