Weaver Model 94 Side Mount

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1Winchester1
Levergunner

Weaver Model 94 Side Mount

Post by 1Winchester1 »

Good Morning, trying to help my 81 year old uncle enjoy his pre -64 Model 94 again. He asked me to mount a Weaver side mount on it using existing holes. I bought the Model 3 D base from old stock as it is discontinued. The base fits fine, the issue is that the replacement screw that goes into the Finger Lever Pin Stop hole is way big. I am assuming it is for a post 64. Any ideas where I may find the proper Weaver screw? If anyone has a takeoff let me know. I am in a determined mood to get this thing up and running for my Uncle and get him in the woods this fall once again with his old rifle.
Thanks
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Weaver Model 94 Side Mount

Post by OldWin »

Have you seen the Pearson mount for top eject Winchesters? It will use a scout scope or red dot but is probably the best no-drill option available.
My dad is almost 80 and uses the Burris FF3 mount from Doug Turnbull on his old 94 Trapper. It goes in the sight dovetail and has worked great for him. I installed it several years ago and it has been solid. Adds nothing for weight and doesn't destroy the handling characteristics.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Weaver Model 94 Side Mount

Post by Malamute »

Ive used the post-64 side mount on pre-64s several times. I had a gunsmith make the required screw a couple times, they work fine, however, keep in mind that its often helpful to rotate the scope 1/4 turn counter-clockwise to get the scope turrets out of the way of ejecting brass. Also keep in mind the labels on the turrets are now opposite, meaning windage becomes elevation, elevation becomes windage, and the direction of movement indicated on the turrets isnt correct. If you can keep that in mind its fairly simple. Trial and error adjust, or imagine the target turned 1/4 turn also. Some people seem to have trouble with that though.

The Pearson mount looks OK, but you cant use a standard eye relief scope with it in case you already had a scope you wanted to use.

I think the last screw I had made to work with the side mount was about $20. Sounds sort of high until you figure out the time involved to make a specialty screw and fit it to work with the lever pin correctly.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?