Made a batch of bullet lube...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Made a batch of bullet lube...

Post by bigbore442001 »

I was contemplating the idea of making my own muzzleloading patch and bullet lubricant. All natural ingredients have been used in the formulation of this stuff. I suspect that it could be used for centerfire handgun bullets as well. I made a large batch today and poured it into tin containers. This stuff when it hardens is somewhat stiff.

What form should I use if I would like to sell this lubricant? Should I sell it in tin containers? Should I somehow pour it into a mold so it can be used in a lubrisizer? Any suggestions as to what would be best? Thanks for the replies.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Made a batch of bullet lube...

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Not to be rude, but what makes your lube better or different than the many others now on the market?

They (the hard lubes) are all available in a pretty-standard tube pack for use in the lube presses, so that would be the way I presume.

Have you tested this with black powder? Does the fouling stay soft? Smokeless loads? Does it melt off of the bullets when it gets hot? How does it do with hot loads?

I suppose that you could package and market this without much investment, so it can't hurt to try.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

those and about ten other questions are what you will be answering.
package it so it can be used in a lubrisizer and solid sticks.
you will be asked what pressure can i go to?
you will be asked what velocity it can be pushed to.
etc...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You would certainly want to sell it in the form that would go into a lubrisizer. I saw an article somewhere that a fellow made some simple lube molds out of pvc pipe and some dowel rod.
NRA Life Member
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

As a ball patch lube, selling it in a tin would be acceptable. As a pistol bullet lube, the others have already answered.

I understand that your lube is all natural ingredients, but have you tested it? To what velocity? In what calibers? (Plus the other questions as above.)

You'll need to be able to answer those questions before you begin to market it, I think.

- Tristan
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Thank you for the replies. I have a lot to think about. I do believe the first batch is too hard. I want to remelt it and add more olive oil to the batch to soften it a touch. Right now is seems to be a almost like a candle. Later this week I will do some testing.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've got some that I made out of the following ingredients: Lard, beeswax, olive oil with a little mint oil. I intended this for black powder only. Mine firms up too and I think a little more olive oil as well as it doesn't seem to keep the fouling soft at all. Those basic ingredients or similar are a common recipe. Some go with sheep tallow instead of lard - or even crisco.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

How is it on toast?

Q
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

pharmseller wrote:How is it on toast?

Q
:lol: haven't tried that, but it does make a great chapstick :P
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We always used a fresh cowpie for chapstick. It doesn't take away the soreness but you'll stop licking your lips.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

bigbore442001 wrote:I was contemplating the idea of making my own muzzleloading patch and bullet lubricant. All natural ingredients have been used in the formulation of this stuff. I suspect that it could be used for centerfire handgun bullets as well. I made a large batch today and poured it into tin containers. This stuff when it hardens is somewhat stiff.

What form should I use if I would like to sell this lubricant? Should I sell it in tin containers? Should I somehow pour it into a mold so it can be used in a lubrisizer? Any suggestions as to what would be best? Thanks for the replies.
Were I to buy it I would prefer a hollow tube so it would work in my Lube-A-Matic. However I also can pan lube so I can do it either way.

As to the questions on how it works, I have a bunch of bare naked unsized Keith bullets. You could send me some and I'll gladly be a guinea pig for you.
That way you'd have test results from more than one source.

Just a thought.

Oh, one more thought; the hard waxy lube like you get in most commercial cast bullets sucks. It isn't worth the effort to heat it up and lube the bullets with it. You need something that's not waxy and hard. Something that won't melt in the sun, but will do the job in the barrel. I've used mostly the old NRA bees wax / alox mixture or the RCBS rifle lube. They both work. I've also used that stuff called Tamerak (sp) and it worked good too. Some of the casters are using a blue lube that is just a hint sticky, that works good too. But the crayola hard lubes are a waste of time and money.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Rusty wrote:We always used a fresh cowpie for chapstick. It doesn't take away the soreness but you'll stop licking your lips.
Why does this not surprise me.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'll stick with my home brew bullet lube :shock:

If you've ever had cowpie inadvertantly get into your mouth, you'd know why :D
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Bigbore: There's ALWAYS room in this old world for one more bullet lube. I agree that a small, round tin would be fine for muzzleloading -- just like the tins Dixie sells their Old Zip in. I like my SPG in the hollow sticks for the lubrisizer, though.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

there are a few of us out there that use a star lubesizer and solid sticks would be something else to think on.
just a heads up.
pete
DAV life member.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pharmseller wrote:How is it on toast?

Q
:shock: :lol:
Always good to have a "dual-use" product...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "