Winchester Model 1895 Two-piece Levers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester Model 1895 Two-piece Levers

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Does anyone know why they went to the two-piece lever early on in Win '95 production? The two-piece has that latch which leads me to believe there was an issue with the lever drooping ... perhaps from internal wear or maybe pressure from the bolt when firing. I just think the early solid lever and receiver were cleaner looks. Especially with a gently sloping pistol grip ... much like a long-tang 71.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester Model 1895 Two-piece Levers

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I think I found it in the Kassab/Dunbar book on pages 99 & 100. There are some notes about it in the pictures. I'm interpreting but I suspect the lever would drop a smidge on firing the high pressure stuff. It looks like T.C. Johnson adapted a lock for the first model and then they went to the two-piece lever and latch for the second model.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I know the 1895 is a 'thing', but I didn't when I ran into one in the LGS in Juneau a long long time ago. A 30-06 was on the shelf, my experience to date with Winchesters was an 1892 in 25-20 that I had been using as a deer gun. I was extremely nervous about getting out of my skiff and seeing monster footprints in the fresh snow. Maybe a 30-06 would be better. Up to my shoulder, drop the lever, and the gun turned itself inside out! Oh Brother, this isn't for me I guess. LOL ROF etc.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Interesting question that never occurred to me. Most of my rifles are Winchesters starting back when a teenager, so I never question any of them .
All I know is that if I load my 1895 .405 magazine properly, all goes well, otherwise it can jam.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have both models. The one piece lever releases easily like a Win model 94. The two piece is a positive latch. I am putting a new stock on the flat side right now and it has a totally different feel than the later model. It feels much more like a Win 94. The later model is heavier and feels more robust in your hands. I am looking forward to taking the flat side deer hunting.