Who has shipped a bunch of magazines?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Who has shipped a bunch of magazines?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Not magazines for firearms, but magazines about firearms. I have many years worth of the SPG Black Powder Cartridge News that I want to sell, but they fill a small Home Depot moving box and weigh 46 pounds -- more than I am even supposed to lift, ever, per my back surgeon. I was thinking maybe USPS media mail, but would like to hear any advice.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who has shipped a bunch of magazines?

Post by Old No7 »

Hi Bill:

I've used the UPS "book rate" before and it does save $$ versus regular mail. It's not "fast" per se -- but those are old issues you're sending anyway. :wink:

Before you commit though, it might be worthwhile seeing how many mags you can jam into one of their prepaid Priority Mail boxes, which have no weight limit. Then compare that to one large box shipped via book rate. I've been surprised at times when I've compared the shipping rates, and sometimes the prepaid box saves me money (if the item fits).

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Same here. I used book rate, and it took time to get there, but was much cheaper. I'd use it again, unless a flat rate box was big enough to handle them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks fellas. I'll have to ponder on this a while, and look for appropriate boxes. I have a stash of the priority boxes here, but those would be expensive, not to mention the USPS has added a nasty surcharge to the flat rate boxes that expires on Christmas. :evil:
rgates
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rgates »

I recently shipped 45 Pounds of books by USPS Media Mail. Bought the boxes at UPS Store for $2.00 each. Shipping by Media Mail was about 1/3 of the cost to go with UPS cheapest rate. They estimated 10 days from Louisiana to Vermont.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

be advised about the USPS book rate/media mail. At the USPS discretion, they can/will open a package and if there is any advertising enclosed, it will be returned to the sender. See "Features" at :

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is- ... -Book-Rate
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, thanks for that warning. Sheesh. Had no idea that magazines are not qualifying media. May just have to throw them all away -- and I was a charter subscriber.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Bill: if you toss them, please contact me first. When I moved from CA to WA, I lost/misplaced a few of the earliest issues. I will pay you for them + shipping. Cheers, ray
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.