I confess .... I fell from grace and shot a bolt-action rifle today ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

I confess .... I fell from grace and shot a bolt-action rifle today ....

Post by JimT »

On the Range today I spent part of the time shooting my Ruger American .22 Magnum. The thing is amazingly accurate. I am not sure how good it would do in the hands of a real rifleman!
IMG_3059.JPG
IMG_3060.JPG
I did shoot my Winchester Model 94 Trapper (30-30) so maybe that made up for my transgression?
Still playing with the 125 gr. Sierra JHP bullets.
IMG_3061.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I confess .... I fell from grace and shot a bolt-action rifle today ....

Post by Oldncrusty »

Niiice. Sorta surprised to see a lightweight WMR bullet shoot that good. But the new guns are probly optimized for the newer ammos. Dont tell anyone, but I have more BAs than LAs.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Oldncrusty wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:11 pm Niiice. Sorta surprised to see a lightweight WMR bullet shoot that good. But the new guns are probly optimized for the newer ammos. Dont tell anyone, but I have more BAs than LAs.
This gun shoots the standard weight bullets just as accurately as the lightweights. Surprised me too.
WWJHP.JPG
I stood a 5.56 fired cartridge on the 50 yard target stand and nailed it first try.
5.56-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My first .22 Magnum was a Bolt action Marlin and it was very accurate, swapped it for a Winchester 9422M that too was accurate but a later 9422M was disappointing, swapped that for a CZ .22 Mag that was very accurate then swapped that for a Uberti 66 Carbine in 22Mag again very accurate but my old eyes struggled with the sights.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have one of those Ruger American Rifles in .17 HMR. It is undoubtably the best stock tank turtle rifle of all times!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Im really a back slider. My favorite rifle right now is a stainless steel black synthetic stock bolt action in 250 Savage. It does have adjustable sights tho.

The Hornady Vmax 30gr is also a great shooting light bullet. Ive never shot the R-P rounds.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Jim, I've got plenty hours and years behind a 22lr, and a 22 mag back in the 70's. I've yet to see a 22mag shoot that tight. Had a Marlin 882 Mag for foxes, and anything less than 1" back then was great. Had a buddy in 90's that used a 9422 Mag for his squirrel rifle, that one being the best I've seen. And even in a 22lr, just don't usually see a light fast bullet very accurate. Got 3 CZ's in 22lr, they're outstanding, and they have the rep for some the best 22mags. But I bet they won't beat yours!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Got a like new used Mod 700 Rem in 270 last fall, and got reloads ready to try it when weather breaks. Sure hope it ain't a sin!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Drawdown wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:20 pm Jim, I've got plenty hours and years behind a 22lr, and a 22 mag back in the 70's. I've yet to see a 22mag shoot that tight. Had a Marlin 882 Mag for foxes, and anything less than 1" back then was great. Had a buddy in 90's that used a 9422 Mag for his squirrel rifle, that one being the best I've seen. And even in a 22lr, just don't usually see a light fast bullet very accurate. Got 3 CZ's in 22lr, they're outstanding, and they have the rep for some the best 22mags. But I bet they won't beat yours!
John Taffin has one also and it's as good a shooter as mine ...
Mine shoots the standard weight bullets as accurately as it does the light weights. I'm just not a real good rifle shot but this gun makes me look good.
IMG_0092.JPG
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When Ruger brought out the 10/22 mag I HAD to have one to complete the trifecta, 10/22. 10/22mag & 44 Carbine. The mag was a fair shooter with the factory barrel but I yanked that off, put on a carbon fiber tension barrel, dropped it into a Hogue overmold stock and with Winchester 40gr it does 3/8" or better at 50 yards. First time out to look for groundhogs I saw a crow land at about 80 yards and figure why not. Held for its eyeball and hit it just a tad lower for a neck shot.
30s & 35 grain doesn't shoot worth a hoot out of this barrel.
One of these days I gotta get the rest of the 77 series guns, have the lr, need a mag, a hornet, 357 & 44.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!