I like the Keith SWC Bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

I like the Keith SWC Bullets

Post by JimT »

For the .44 Special it is THE ONLY bullet I cast.
IMG_3199.JPG
IMG_3204.JPG
This evening just before they called me to supper I sat down at the bench and cast a good 10 pounds of them. Around 300 if I figured it correctly. I pulled out 10 random bullets, weighed them and averaged the weight. The average was 250.2 grains.
IMG_3195.JPG
IMG_3203.JPG
PS - no .. I will not color them by powder coating. I refuse to shoot cartridges that appear to be lipstick. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Re: I like the Keith SWC Bullets

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:54 pm PS - no .. I will not color them by powder coating. I refuse to shoot cartridges that appear to be lipstick. :D
What? Aren't bright red bullets more effective? :roll:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Yep its a nice bullet, 7 - 8 gr of unique in my 629 works & shoots nice, have used it in 44-40 also

Brad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

ollogger wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:53 pm Yep its a nice bullet, 7 - 8 gr of unique in my 629 works & shoots nice, have used it in 44-40 also
Brad
Yessir. I used it in my El Tigre Model 92 .44-40 back in the early 1960's ... ran it with heavy loads of 2400. It worked well.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I like the design in .357, .44 and .45 caliber’s. They are accurate and effective.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's my favorite bullet as well. I still like the load that Skeeter made famous and all my sights are cut to that load.

It's a shame I cannot make it feed in my 1873 clone.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:58 am That's my favorite bullet as well. I still like the load that Skeeter made famous and all my sights are cut to that load.

It's a shame I cannot make it feed in my 1873 clone.
Because the 92 feeds at an angle it can feed the sharp-edged bullets better than the 73 .. if yours was a .44-40 (or .38-40 -- a bottle-necked cartridge) it most likely would feed the SWC's. I figure you probably know this but I like posting pictures of the actions.
model73.JPG
92feed.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

In my 1873 the shoulder of the bullet actually catches on the left side of the chamber opening. I have wondered if an elevator could be modified by building up the left side a bit to push the cartridge nose to the right. It appears that the same carrier is used in both the .45 and .44 versions. Perhaps a .357 carrier could be hogged out to allow the .44 Special cartridge to feed better.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I have been playing with a Freedom Arms 97 in .357 with a spare cylinder in .38 Special. The Keith .38 bullet will not chamber in the .38 cylinder at all. I found that out the hard way. Must be awfully tight tolerances up front on that cylinder.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

So, is anyone successfully using the Keith SWC bullets in a Rossi 357 Magnum carbine? Or is feeding them a problem? I have the bullet mold in .358 and am looking at a Rossi in 357 mag.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

southfork wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:00 pm So, is anyone successfully using the Keith SWC bullets in a Rossi 357 Magnum carbine? Or is feeding them a problem? I have the bullet mold in .358 and am looking at a Rossi in 357 mag.
The Keith 173 gr. SWC (Lyman #358429) is too long to feed properly in my Rossi. To use it I have to seat it deeper. The 158 gr. SWC's feed just fine in my gun. If I load any more of the 173 gr. I will probably load them in .38 Special cartridges.