OT - Another US icon sold off....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Another US icon sold off....

Post by jdad »

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Another US icon sold off....

Post by J Miller »

AW for CRYING out loud!!! I don't drink much beer but this is out of hand. When is our FUBAR govt going to put a stop to foreign companies buying out American companies? Pretty soon we won't have didly stuff to call our own.

One more product to not buy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J Miller wrote:AW for CRYING out loud!!! I don't drink much beer but this is out of hand. When is our FUBAR govt going to put a stop to foreign companies buying out American companies? ...
About the time US companies stop buying Forign companies.

Don't forget that GM "owns": Opel (Germany), SAAB (Sweden), Vauxhall Motors (England), Holden (Australia)...

Shall we go on? Global Economies mean Global ownership.

Unless and untill they close St Louis and import all the Bud from Belgium/Brazil there's nothing to it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well EXCUSE me all to .................

J :evil: e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J Miller wrote:Well EXCUSE me all to .................

J :evil: e
Would you feel the same way if Harley Davidson bought Kawasaki?

It would be a roughly equivelent transaction...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

They might even start brewing something drinkable :twisted:
Ron
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjs wrote:They might even start brewing something drinkable :twisted:
Ron
I wasn't going to go there... but yah. My tastes in beer run to Opaque not slightly hoppy sodapop. Too long in Europe I suppose... :?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Well it is RICE Beer, might as well be a Foreign company...

Yengling, Thats Beer....
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

It's called capitalism, and I embrace it.

As someone mentioned above, maybe the beer will get better, now. :wink:

Scott
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

It is indeed capitalism. It just gets a little harder to swallow when Pride of the Mother Land gets mixed into pot. Kind of a "shoe on the other foot" sorta thing.

I just can't imagine Bud selling out though.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andrew wrote:It is indeed capitalism. It just gets a little harder to swallow when Pride of the Mother Land gets mixed into pot. Kind of a "shoe on the other foot" sorta thing.

I just can't imagine Bud selling out though.
+1 As A die-hard capitalist, that side of me approves. As a proud American, I wish AB was on the acquiring side of the equation!!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

If it gets Europeans converted to drinking the "king" of rice beers, maybe it will lower the value of the euro against the dollar, which I call a win-win.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Amen to better beer from Anheuser Busch, Budweiser is pretty lame and BudLight even worse. Hopefully Euro ownership means better tasting beer. :twisted:
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

GANJIRO wrote:Amen to better beer from Anheuser Busch, Budweiser is pretty lame and BudLight even worse. Hopefully Euro ownership means better tasting beer. :twisted:
Not if they change it to something like Stella Artois or Becks! Not that Bud was of much account anyway. Best American made beer that you can hope to find in most places (my way of excluding mirco brews) is Sam Adams. Which one? That's up to you, but you have several to choose from.

Now as to the selling out to foreign interests. Companies sent American jobs overseas to have cheaper labor then bring the products back here to sell to their now unemployed workers. So of course AB sold out. The stockholders would have done it for them if the executives had not done it first. Cash talks. There would be people lined up to sell their souls if a booth opened and offered them money for it. But I guess no one would open such a booth. Why pay for that which so many so readily give away?

Wow! I went from beer, to economics to theological-social commentary! Extra points for doing it before 6am too! :D
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I am with you J Miller.
I love reading the story about how FAST the M1 Carbine was designed, engineered, prototyped, tooled up, the production lines going full speed. it was done in a matter of months. It is a COLASSAL record. One that can never happen here again as all manufacturing is flying out of here. Capitalism? Read our founding fathers words about tariffs then tell me this is really capitalism.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

coyote nose wrote:I am with you J Miller.
I love reading the story about how FAST the M1 Carbine was designed, engineered, prototyped, tooled up, the production lines going full speed. it was done in a matter of months. It is a COLASSAL record. One that can never happen here again as all manufacturing is flying out of here. Capitalism? Read our founding fathers words about tariffs then tell me this is really capitalism.
And the "sale" of a beer company that is not about to stop producing beer here is related to exporting heavy industry in what way?

This whole sale is about one company's pointy-haired bosses buying another company's pointy-haired bosses - not moving production overseas... and as it stands, it appears the new pointy haired bosses are more interested in beer than private jets & limos...
InBev said it plans to use St. Louis as its North American headquarters, and that it will keep open all 12 of Anheuser-Busch's North American breweries.

Brito tried to reassure workers worried about possible job loses, saying the company could instead expect "growth and investment" despite Anheuser-Busch's existing plans to shed 1,185 positions -- mostly by offering early retirement and not filling existing vacancies.

That plan had already spread the pain across the board, but InBev's approach is more surgically precise, said financial analyst Juli Niemann of Smith Moore & Co. In a company that watches costs very carefully, employees must justify their job every year.

Where Anheuser-Busch executives travel by private jet, Niemann said InBev folks will be flying coach to St. Louis -- and taking the city's light rail system, not a cab or limousine, from the airport to Anheuser-Busch's headquarters.
I.E. They are starting by cutting from the Top like they should rather than the bottom as most US owned companies tend to do... (and note that AB had already "scheduled" 1200 job cuts BEFORE they were bought out.)

If they were shuttering breweries I'd have a problem with it. But they aren't, so I don't.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

YOU STILL HAVE A CHOICE !!!!

THERE ARE STILL AMERICAN ( USA ) BEERS....
( or Bourbon ) :mrgreen:
Support your local brewer/distiller or Moon shiner !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

oldmax wrote:YOU STILL HAVE A CHOICE !!!!

THERE ARE STILL AMERICAN ( USA ) BEERS....
( or Bourbon ) :mrgreen:
Support your local brewer/distiller or Moon shiner !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yep. Unless I am intentionally buying sodapop (US Lite Beer) I buy local Microbrews... or at worst Sam Adams. :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

There are many fine American beers out there! I don't count Bud as one of them though.
It always gave me a wicked hangover that I chalked up to additives they put in.
I spent two years in Europe courtesy of Uncle Sam, and I drink real Beer now. LOL
Ron
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Is nothing sacred? 1886.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

As some one else said...it's only rice beer anyways. Wonder if the Germans will allow it in now? Since it does not meet the Putiry Laws.

Boy this whole thing is very timely, just read an article regarding the Ronald Reagan trickle down economics. Worked fine at first, but without a moral sense to preserve ones neighbor, greed became more important than the overall economy. First we shifted our cost of production to "low" cost countries in the name of "competition" and "globalization", when those money changers hit the point of diminishing returns from that...they started selling off companies to liquidate capital and invest elswhere. RR was correct at first, the trickle down did initially cause investment that incited the US economy, including from overseas. But, when they saw greater profits from moving the cost of doing business overseas, the trickle stopped here....it now trickles over there. Our rich powerful people are getting richer and more powerful, but the other 90% are going the other way.

Just remember, who now owns the profits from A-B....and who decides where they will be invested?

Even if it is just rice beer.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Maybe, someday, this'll be worth enough, ta git me a cup 'o coffee !

It was won last month, in a free drawing at a clambake I attended.

It's a (Christmas decoration) Limited Edition Bottle & glass set.
I'm sure the beer'll turn into panther pee, fairly soon, though.

oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

I'm sure the beer'll turn into panther pee, fairly soon, though.
That's good, Taste better than it does now... :mrgreen:
99savage308
Levergunner

Post by 99savage308 »

re: another us icon sold off

It is called MONEY. Who has the MONEY.

If one had a car to sell does one care who or where that certain person with the MONEY is from or what colour or what race they are ? HELLLLLLLLLLL NO. SHOW ME THE MONEY

nuf said.
-- NRA Life Member --

--Searching for more light --

-- keep your powder dry --