1894-1994 centennial price?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

1894-1994 centennial price?

Post by Aussie Chris »

Gday fellas. I have been offered a NIB unlevered 1894-1994 centennial. It is the standard grade one. Just curious as to what they are going for over there because the price does seem expensive-$1500AUS. It is tempting though :wink:
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 1894-1994 centennial price?

Post by Griff »

Here's one on Gunbroker that has no bids @ $899 Winchester Model 94 Limited Edition Centennial. According to my exchange calculator, your seller is asking about $5-600USD too high, if the gun were here. In the "land downunder", I wouldn't know.

And then there's this one, who's seller is so proud of his that he's asking near twice as much. And, again, no wonder there's no bids.

Several are on GunsAmerica with asking prices between $999US and $1500US, all of which are a little on the high side, IMO, if you're looking to buy. But, eventually, there'll be someone along with the necessary scratch to pick one of 'em up; sometimes heedless of its actual value.

Again, just, IMO... YMMV.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Thanks Griff. Yeah I thought it was a bit steep. :)
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
There's one here in the local pawn shop, NIB, for $450 US... Anybody want info, let me know..
It's just a regular looking '94 carbine....
Thanks,

Paul
Last edited by pshort on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FYI - Unless it's one of the several grades of Limited Edition rifles, with half-octagon barrels, crescent butts and engraving, there is no such other Winchester 1994 "Centennial" model - since every single model 94 made that year had that anniversary logo rolled into the side of the receiver, making their value the same as any other like-condition/vintage Model 94.

If that's a true "1894-1994 Centennial Rifle", then (depending upon grade, and considering availability where you're located) it may not be too bad a price.

Of course, non of the above is meant to take lust into consideration. ;)
Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Is this the rifle we are talking about?

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I don't have any information on the price for the centennial. I believe there is a couple centennial 94's out there. The Canadian, an NRA and then the last one that Old Savage showed. I fell in love with the one OS showed when I first saw it. I would really like to have one but that would mean cutting something somewhere else and I haven't been able to make that happen, yet.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The one I have was going surprisingly low here - $500-$600 last I priced a couple of years ago - may be up since then. They are fine shooters - on the target you see I had bright sun high and behind me to the left. I think the others belong in the group - if - I had been more disciplined in sighting. It was hard to demarcate the top of the shining bead. Distance was 100 yds.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I bought mine new about 2 years ago from a local dealer for $625. It had been there several years with a $825 price tag. No one seemed interested so he took my offer just to move it.

These would be fine rifles were it not for the fact that they have the dreaded cross-bolt safety and a rebounding hammer. I have removed both from my rifle. Here is a link to a post in the "one sticky" shown at the top of page 1;

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.com ... -bolt.html
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

In 1994, all Model 94's were marked "1894-1994" on the receiver, but were of the various standard patterns - and value.
Say, $400 +/-, just like any other M94AE.

Also made in 1994 were the Model 94 Limited Editions - that were marked identically on the receivers as the standard pattern rifles.
All had a few things in common - such as a 26" half-octagon/half-round barrel in .30WCF, PG stock w/Crescent butt, iron sights, 1/2 mag, cut checkering, and varying degrees of engraving (rolled and hand cut) & gold inlay, with commensurate upgrades to the wood as the gradew/price rose.
Their values vary, by grade, (condition (natch), and availability.

Grade I Ltd Ed- (12,000 made)
All blued, Win engraving pattern #9 pattern, rolled engraving : $750 +/-.

High Grade Ltd Ed - (3,000 made)
All blued #6 pattern rolled engraving on both receiver sides w/2 gold animals, one on each side (mountain sheep & deer - plated type inlay), Mounted Lyman #2 tang sight, Deluxe checkering & carving : $ 1500 +/-.

Custom High Grade Ltd Ed - (made to order)
All blued, #5 pattern, hand engraved on greyed receiver w/gold inlayed outline panel scenes of likewise gold inlayed Caribou & Pronghorns on each side, Lyman #2 tang sight, F-style checkering & carving : $9,000 +/- .

A complete set of the three Limited Editions can be worth approx $12,000.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Sorry guys I have been away for a few days. Yep Old Savage, thats the one. You have a nice shooter there!

Thanks for the info everyone :)
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Chris,
I don't know if this will help much but I paid $1100 for a new 94 Legacy model about four years ago.
Didn't even get the box - :wink:

There are a couple of different NIB commemoratives going for $1100 here http://usedguns.com.au/used_Lever_guns.html#Lever_guns ,and a John Wayne Limited (one of only five to come to Oz) for $10,000.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Yeah I have seen the rifles on used guns. I check that site quite a bit. It is temoting but I think I will leave this one. Let me know if you are interested in it bruce..