What a mess

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

What a mess

Post by Slick13 »

I haven't been to this group in a while, partly because of other things I've got going on, and partly because it's such a mess. Why are there only two forums? General Discussion and Classifieds. I click on General Discussion and I get waaaaay too many political and OT topics. Set up forums specifically for politics, OT, handguns, reloads, etc. And there are way too many stickys.

For the moderators, here's a flight jacket group I hang out that's in the same format.

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/index.php

Lot's of forums (maybe too many), but it helps me avoid subjects I don't care about, and quickly find stuff I want to read.

~Michael
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: What a mess

Post by Old Ironsights »

Much more sociable to have many convrsations around one big campfire than to spread the firewood out all over creation.

Fire lasts longer too.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Old Ironsights wrote:Much more sociable to have many convrsations around one big campfire than to spread the firewood out all over creation.

Fire lasts longer too.

Well said.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Much more sociable to have many convrsations around one big campfire than to spread the firewood out all over creation.

Fire lasts longer too.
Or in my case, I come into the Discussion forum, scan through the first page of topics, see that half of it is garbage, and leave. :roll:

~Michael
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

A picture in place of 1,000 words explaining the whole concept - once more, again, to yet another person, on another thread, just like the threads we've explained the subject matter to, once more, to yet another person, again...

Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

It is like this Slick.

When this forum was first organized, most, in fact nearly all, of the regular posters were refugees from an older and much beloved website that had been reorganized along the lines you mentioned.

The original Sixgunner site used a format that had no separate categories, and everyone had a fine old time. We'd talk about everything from the latest twists in reloading, customization, faith, cooking, books, movies and guns. It was like a bunch of folks sitting around a campfire with half a dozen different conversations going on at the same time, and every one free to chime in on any and all topics. When Sixgunner changed ownership, the format changed. Rather than one big campfire, there were more than a dozen different topic forums under the same banner. Most of us felt that the division did not improve the site, nor promote fellowship.

When Paco set up the forum at Lever-Guns.Com, he figured, with our concurrence, that there were only two forums needed, one for classified ads and the other a general conversation forum.

These days, folks do mark a non-firearms post with OT. If you aren't interested, don't open it. Truth to tell, I believe that most folks would find it a crashing bore to visit a site where everything HAS to be strictly on topic. There are plenty of gun, reloading, and hunting related topics here, but if you think politics are not a vital part of the Gun Crank's World, you are sadly mistaken.

I can remember, as can most other older members, a time when a bunch of gun cranks got together and firearms, reloading, and hunting were the only topics discussed. I defy you to find a group of a dozen or more gun cranks sitting and chewing the fat when politics do not become part of the conversation. That's life in the modern world, and old times, though not forgotten, won't return.

So if you are not interested in discovering the lates round of chicanery issuing from the politicians, skip the political posts. If you are not interested in who has a new child, grandchild, or pup, skip those as well. If you are not interested in prayer requests, there is no requirement to read or respond to them. Even if you skip all those different topics of conversation, you will find more firearms knowledge on this site than any other on the Internet.

I hope you stick around, but I can understand if you prefer a more regimented site. I mean not everybody likes biscuits and gravy, and some folks even like sushi. Lever-Guns has a little something for everyone. I hope you can learn to enjoy things the way they are.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I'm sorry, did you say flight jacket forum? :o
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well said Doc H.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

AmBraCol wrote:Image

Ah yes, that one's my favorite. 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

If it aint broke dont fix it! Brother we welcome you to the fire to talk anytime. But if you want to go somewhere else... Dont let the keyboard hit ya on the way out! :lol: I truly hate when people whine all the time about WHY WHY WHY. I like this forum because folks truly like the things i like. We dont always agree but heck me and my wife dont always agree either. :D I visit other gun forums but come here several times a day for like minded thinking and talk. We get to talk guns without all the "Black Helicopters" flying around.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Slick13 wrote:

Fire lasts longer too.
Or in my case, I come into the Discussion forum, scan through the first page of topics, see that half of it is garbage, and leave. :roll:

~Michael
Michael,

If you jump to the View New Posts link and then you'll only have a page to review, quickly. I do that, saves me a lot of time.

The reason we haven't split up the forum is because that is not what Paco wants to do. He had such when I got here and then tried this and he prefers this. Good enough. I keep the posts titled correctly so that you can avoid the OT and POLITICS....
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Doc Hudson you said what most folks here feel,and I sure do like my biscuts and gravy, but I like my sushi "southern fried." Reckon that's why we spend so much time here.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Slick13 wrote:

Fire lasts longer too.

~Michael
adios
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

So let me see if I understand you correctly.

Everyone that likes the way things here is wrong and should be put out because you don't like it and it should be changed to suit your tastes? Wow, isn't that kinda arrogant?

Insert giant "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" Here.

I guess the folks over at vintage whatsit are just so much more evolved than we are.

I never get involved in these discussions but couldn't keep quiet this time.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

OT; Lets start a new topic called Leverguns

Post by Paul Jenkins »

I have complained before about OT threads and was told go to the active topics. I have seen , "How to buy a car", Slug guns, The best ammo for slug guns, What I did on vacation, ETC., on the active topic list. It appears that most users here now are bored children with a lot of nothing to do but chat. This forum should change it's name to ; Past bored levergunners who don't want to look for the topic of their interest. Been looking like the lonely hearts club lately.
Very little about guns, reloading, range results, ETC. :(
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT; Lets start a new topic called Leverguns

Post by TedH »

I'd love to post something levergun related Paul, but I haven't had time nor opportunity to get to the range in a coon's age. Maybe that is part of the reason for the OT posts, folks like me just don't have anything new to report about their leverguns.
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Paul, this forum belongs to someone. Perhaps you should address the owner. We don't tell him how to run his household.

We're just folks that like to visit with each other, some of us like each other, and the rest tolerate each other. Most of us know one another to some degree and we dwell in the context of the past year's experiences.

If there's a format that suits you better, you can host it the way you like it.

JMO,
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ah Paul... you need to be a little more selective in what topics you open. Unless the title grabs me... I just skip the OT or Pol topics. You'll note I open some pretty old ones from time to time and bring 'em back to the front. :twisted:

Oh yea, wait till the first of the week, although I'll have to mark mine OT, as I'll be shooting my Sharps at the Billy Dixon Levergunners Shoot this coming weekend. But... now that Andy & I got my powder situation squared away (yea, left home without it :oops: ) I'll be posting a report. (Someone has to offset Andy's unbridled enthusiasm! :P :twisted: :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Paul, I just posted a levergun topic. A new one at that. I was looking for your levergun post and missed it :D Hang in there, soon people will be getting out to shoot their leverguns in preps for hunting season. Range reports will be posted and we are shooting in a postal match and those results are being posted too. Otherwise: +1 to what Grizz said.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

One page of new topics.
Each day, one page. Rarely more.
What, maybe 25-30 topics? It takes maybe 1.5 seconds to scan the page and skip the topics you don't care about.
I'm not sure why this is such a challenge.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Slick13,

I like this forum the way it is laid out. I belong to other forums, but they tend to be a nightmare to keep up with, and almost impossible to search. I miss out on a lot of information, because I stay in one, or two, of the "compartments" that are used to organize those forums. This format is much nicer to use.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT; Lets start a new topic called t in or do ya have to use

Post by gunslinger598 »

I've only been coming on lever guns a few years now.

I have seen in that time the same topics & questions about lever guns come up over & over. That is fine new folks need to know and learn from the seasoned folks.

What that tells me is there is only so much that can be covered on a topic before ya pretty well have covered it all. I don't mind the repeat stuff.

BUT, it sure would get boring if I was reading the same lever gun stuff over and over everyday.

So Paul the choice is yours you can select what interest you or just whine about what doesn't. But don't force your preferences on others.

What have you posted today on a lever gun topic?
AQHA Life Member
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

One good thing about this new forum format is...

THE SEARCH FUNCTION WORKS FANTASTIC !!!!

Want to know something about a specific levergun/reloading/caliber/accuracy etc...

search for it. You'll be set for days with possibly more knowledge than you'll be able to soak up in a lifetime.

If that's not to your liking, then skip over the OT posts until something grabs you.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I suppose the Win vs Marlin debate could sound interesting again if we all typed in nonstandard languages. :roll:

How about I use Hebrew, Hobie uses Korean and somebody does Mandarin Chinese?
:wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Old Ironsights wrote:How about I use Hebrew, Hobie uses Korean and somebody does Mandarin Chinese?
I suppose I could fake my way through Mandarin...Konichiwa y'all! :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

+ another 1, what Griff said.

Try Marlinowners, its strictly levergun and in caliber or model specific sections.
Sometimes a popular section gets one or two new threads in a week.
Don't get me wrong, I love both places equally, just for different reasons.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Please excuse this stupid question but I'm new to levergunning. I'm having trouble loading my Winchester 94 in 44-40. Each time I stick bullet in the little door it grabs my finger and bites me. What can I do to fix this problem.
Should I put a spring kit in it? Or maybe fill it full of toothpaste and dry cycle it 1000000 times?

Can any bodie help with this?

Hows that for a new topic?

J :lol: e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I thought it was about time for "this" post again (cycles back again about every 6-8 weeks, or after bad weather keeps us all indoors).

If you are hunting specific info - the "search" function.

If you are hunting generally interesting gun-related stuff, - browse away and click on whatever suits your fancy.

If you are hunting ONLY "levergun" stuff and want nothing involving any other outdoor or gun-related activity - again, the "search" function can even work for that.

It seems that the majority of us share MORE than just our specific "levergun" interest - generally similar outdoors interests, generally we like big-bore revolvers, generally we're a bunch of cantankerous, independent hilljacks - even the ones who are temporarily "stationed" in some God-forsaken urban area due to job or family circumstance. We enjoy sharing those other aspects of our lives.

We ALSO are different, and have unique interests and knowledge which we share. There are ALOT of questions we ask of one another - from forging metals, to buying tires - because we've developed a level of trust in one another's integrity. I expect there's not much on ANY subject from 18th century opera to particle physics which SOMEONE on this forum isn't extremely knowledgeable about.

Nope - that stuff isn't "leverguns" - but it sure is interesting on occasion. Nice to get just a bit of that "outside" education when looking for another "Marlin vs. Winchester" thread to browse. If you don't care for it, just skip anything that says "OT" and you'll go right by lots of it; we sometimes forget, but we try to put that "OT" there to help matters.

Personally, if all the levergun posts were separated out, I feel I'd miss alot of the OTHER interesting and important stuff and insights others are discussing.

Maybe it is an over-done imagery, but treat the forum just like a big wagon-train campfire - mosey around, coffee in hand, and just "listen" - you'll surely hear some topics being discussed to your liking, and surely some not. Walk by the latter, and settle in on the ones you like, but please, don't go around trying to tell which fellers have to sit by which fire and what they can discuss.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

J Miller wrote:I'm having trouble loading my Winchester 94 in 44-40. Each time I stick bullet in the little door it grabs my finger and bites me.
Please clarify...what's doing the biting? The bullet or the gate? We need to know because the solutions are very different.

Of course they may not be the RIGHT solutions, but they ARE very different... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Old Ironsights wrote:I suppose the Win vs Marlin debate could sound interesting again if we all typed in nonstandard languages. :roll:

How you gonna talk Chinese with a keyboard? :lol:
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

Tandy sells Hebrew letter stamps:

...so you can decorate your LEVERGUN scabbard with your message, in Hebrew!

Shawn
ImageImage
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Leverdude wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:I suppose the Win vs Marlin debate could sound interesting again if we all typed in nonstandard languages. :roll:

How you gonna talk Chinese with a keyboard? :lol:
我将键入中国人象这样…

그리고 한국어는 이것을 좋아한다.

Русское не слишком крепко, котор нужно сделать,

עברית יותר קשה, אבל...

אני חושב שווינצ'אסטאר הם יותר טוב ממרלין . אז שם.

(Dang forum software won't let me type Right to Left...) :lol:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This topic is off topic.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hagler wrote:Gents,

Tandy sells Hebrew letter stamps:

...so you can decorate your LEVERGUN scabbard with your message, in Hebrew!

Shawn
Somthing I'm sure the Cowboys on the Golan Heights would appreciate...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... 0651.story
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Old Savage wrote:This topic is off topic.
No it's not. I posted my Win vs Marlin pot-stirrer in Hebrew... just like I said I would. :mrgreen:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

meanc wrote:One good thing about this new forum format is...

THE SEARCH FUNCTION WORKS FANTASTIC !!!!

Want to know something about a specific levergun/reloading/caliber/accuracy etc...

search for it. You'll be set for days with possibly more knowledge than you'll be able to soak up in a lifetime.

If that's not to your liking, then skip over the OT posts until something grabs you.

And, besides that, it allows the moderators to merge off topic posts that repeat the same stuff. Such as "we need more subforums" - two posts so far today on the same subject - both taking up room that could be used to discuss the best motor oil for weed eaters or the best manchurian 'possum recipe or why Winchester is SO much superior to Marlin in ALL aspects. So they're now one. Pretty cool! :D We've more room on the front page for other stuff now... :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AmBraCol wrote:... why Winchester is SO much superior to Marlin in ALL aspects... :
היי, אנחנו עושים שאחד בעברית עכשיו. אז מעצב למעלה רוורנד!
אני חושב שה1892 ב.357 הוא אקדח יותר טוב מ1894 בריח מרובע אבל אני מסכים,

:mrgreen: :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Old Ironsights wrote:
AmBraCol wrote:... why Winchester is SO much superior to Marlin in ALL aspects... :

Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's easy for YOU to say...

:shock:

:mrgreen:
Paul - in Pereira

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Paul Jenkins wrote:I have complained before about OT threads and was told go to the active topics. I have seen , "How to buy a car", Slug guns, The best ammo for slug guns, What I did on vacation, ETC., on the active topic list. It appears that most users here now are bored children with a lot of nothing to do but chat. This forum should change it's name to ; Past bored levergunners who don't want to look for the topic of their interest. Been looking like the lonely hearts club lately.
Very little about guns, reloading, range results, ETC. :(
Mr. Jenkins,

If you don't like it here, in the immortal words of 505 Stevec, "don't let the keyboard hit you in the butt on your way out."

If you are so all fired hipped on changing the forum's format, why don't you post a poll and see how many folks agree with you? If your proposition wins, perhaps Paco will reconsider. If it looses, sit down and pour yourself another cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'll pitch in with a little Gaelic from time to time.

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hagler wrote:Image

How do you sing "Grandma got run over by a Reindeer" in Chinese?

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Old Ironsights wrote:

Are you going to translate that or must I resort to Bablefish?
:-p~~~~

Image Image
UNITE!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

DARN IT, I now have to take my laptop to the local Take Away to read your posts!!! :evil: :evil: :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

game keeper wrote:DARN IT, I now have to take my laptop to the local Take Away to read your posts!!! :evil: :evil: :wink:
It probably says:

There's a cat in the kettle
At the China Moon,
The place I go everyday at noon.

Image Image
UNITE!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Very little about guns, reloading, range results, ETC.

Paul seems to think we're an online magazine :roll: .

This is not Glocktalk, with pages filled by mall ninjas looking to convince everyone that their arsenal is bigger :lol: .

We are an open door society of folk who share an abiding affection for lever guns, as well as other firearms, and our country. Many of us are Christian family men, who believe in hard work and old fashioned family values. We are Patriots. Over time, we have come to discover how much we have in common (or don't), and return here month after month knowing old friends, good information and support are here. Many of us know each other on a first name basis, though we may not use it online. You're right - our conversations extend well beyond our guns, as do our lives, and we share many things. I think that's one of the things that makes us unique on the internet.

So, if you want nothing but stats, pictures, and mall ninja bravado, you've come to the wrong place.

If you really want to know about lever guns (and many other things), have a seat by the fire.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

2ndovc wrote:So let me see if I understand you correctly.

Everyone that likes the way things here is wrong and should be put out because you don't like it and it should be changed to suit your tastes? Wow, isn't that kinda arrogant?

Insert giant "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" Here.

I guess the folks over at vintage whatsit are just so much more evolved than we are.

I never get involved in these discussions but couldn't keep quiet this time.
Just giving my opinion bub. And I'll stick by my opinion that this group is an unorganized mess with a lot of non levergun BS going on. And if the forum set up has been discussed recently in a different thread, sorry, I missed it, but it's not suprising that I did.

I come here for leverguns, reloading levergun cartridges, hunting, and old revolvers. Doesn't seem to be a heck of a lot of that here right now. Guess I'll skip checking in here until October or November rolls around. :|

~Michael
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I come here for leverguns, reloading levergun cartridges, hunting, and old revolvers. Doesn't seem to be a heck of a lot of that here right now. Guess I'll skip checking in here until October or November rolls around.
adios, bub
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hey Doc H,

I think you need to talk to Vanna and buy some vowels.

:D
Mike Johnson,

Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Fire lasts longer too.

+++1! If you don't like certain posts, don't read them. This is still a free country, I think. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.