speaking of parades

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

speaking of parades

Post by Grizz »

Jim T's recent picture in another thread triggered a parade memory I had almost lost track of.

When i was a wee small lad living in, i believe, Boulder City, there was of course a 4th of July parade. Twice i rode in a cart pulled by ostriches. ((!!!)) No controls, the birds just followed someone or something ahead in the line. And i just rode along until Mom lifted me out of the cart at the end. Sure wish i had a photo of that. Oh yeah, i waved to the adoring crowds . . , :lol:
Screenshot 2022-11-17 07581-ostrich cart.png
it looked something like this, except i think i sat in a cart, not up on a seat. and no flight controls. :roll:

At the time Dad was flying out of Las Vegas and we lived on the airfield in Boulder City. I mean ON THE FIELD. I was rescued by one of the other pilots who lived there when i wandered out onto the tarmac. In front of an incoming DC-3. Sheeesh!.. That was one of the nicest houses I can remember. Something like an adobe Spanish Colonial. I can still draw the floorplan. Memories come in floods, don't they?

How about you'all? Any parade memories from your early days?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grizz on Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
JimT
Shootist

Re: speaking of parades

Post by JimT »

That's great!

Not in a parade but when I was 8 I rode goats. Usually for a very short time. :lol:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There's a song about that: "Goat Riders in the Sky," Vaughn Monroe. Look it up. :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My oldest kid got to be in the front float of the daily Disney World parade years ago. We've never liked their corporate philosophy, or even the way they dumbed-down and sanitized legitimate kids' stories for mass production, but got a free trip there as someone's guest, so went for it. Epcott Center was cool but the rest ho-hum.

The "It's a Small World" exhibit could qualify as the equivalent of water-boarding for most red-blooded American males...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Between HS, 20 years of Army Band, and then several years of American Legion, I can't begin to count all the parades I've been in. :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:36 pm Between HS, 20 years of Army Band, and then several years of American Legion, I can't begin to count all the parades I've been in. :shock:
that's Funny. how about the ones before kindergarten?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:54 pm .
My oldest kid got to be in the front float of the daily Disney World parade years ago. We've never liked their corporate philosophy, or even the way they dumbed-down and sanitized legitimate kids' stories for mass production, but got a free trip there as someone's guest, so went for it. Epcott Center was cool but the rest ho-hum.

The "It's a Small World" exhibit could qualify as the equivalent of water-boarding for most red-blooded American males...!
Literally just got off small world. Nicely done up for Christmas. I’m male, my blood is as red as it gets and I really enjoyed it.

Maybe only males who are insecure in their manhood feel threatened.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad