Lee handpress with .45-70??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Lee handpress with .45-70??

Post by alnitak »

I only have the Lee handpress, which I've been using for 9mm, .357/.38 and .44 spl/.44mag. Can I just buy the .45-70 dies and us the handpress, or will the longer case length make resizing too difficult to do by hand? Also, do you recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Die for the .45-70 (I use the FCD for all my other cartridges)?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
shawn45
Levergunner

Re: Lee handpress with .45-70??

Post by shawn45 »

I used the hand press for 45-70's until I set up for them on my Dillon. I use the factory crimp also. I still load 308;s and 30-06's on the hand press when I don't want to set up the RCBS press.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have used the Lee handpress successfully for many years to load for the 45-70. I really see no need for anything else! :lol: I also use the FC die.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

As said - no problemo.

These are straight-cased (OK, slight taper) and size rather easily if properly lubed.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a nice turret press in the bedroom, but no TV....Soooo, I use the hand press, and dippers for my loading these days, including the 45-70. I cannot tell the difference, tho I'm sure that the dippers are not as precise as the Powder Thrower or the Scale. If you practice with the scale for a couple min every session, you can get amazingly close powder consistancy!!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Asherdan
Levergunner

Post by Asherdan »

No problem at all. I've run a couple thousand that way using Lee dies, including the FCD.
"All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by the way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have always been leary of using my hand press on long straight-walled cartridges... preferring my Classic Lee Loader (hammer time) for the .45-70.

The guys above seem to like it, but I prefer the hand press for pistol cartridges or neck-sized-only (bottleneck) cartridges.

I guess it really comes down to... I hate lubing cases and pistol dies come in carbide. :wink: :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:I have a nice turret press in the bedroom, but no TV....Soooo, I use the hand press, and dippers for my loading these days, including the 45-70. I cannot tell the difference, tho I'm sure that the dippers are not as precise as the Powder Thrower or the Scale. If you practice with the scale for a couple min every session, you can get amazingly close powder consistancy!!
Whoa - hand to read your response twice. I was afraid you were discussing a hand press in the bedroom, and figured that was a mite too personal for this site!!! :wink:
Lanyard Stretcher
Levergunner

Post by Lanyard Stretcher »

I used the Lee Handpress & powder dippers for 20 years. I loaded 30-06, 7mm Mag, 45-70, .223, .357, 41 mag, 30-30, 45 ACP. It will work well for you :) .

Mike
Fire Mission!!!!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I don't own a .45-70 but I do use the Lee Hand Press along with Lee Dies and the Lee Factory Crimp Die for 90% of my .444 Marlin reloading. They work great and as others have said, there shoud be no problem using them for .45-70.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a Lee Handloader™ but mostly use it mainly for decapping my BP loads. Sometimes I'll use it for loading BP rounds in brass I've prepared on my RCBS and primed. I've tried sizing my .40-90SBN cases, but... I'm a weakling, it's way more exercise than I like! :P Maybe if I did it more often... it wouldn't seem more like WORK than simple exercise!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I've loaded lots of 45-70 with both the Lee Handpress and the HDS Compac press. Both presses are very handy to use.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .