domestic model 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

domestic model 92

Post by oldebear1950 »

I wish one of the US companies would come out with a copy of the model 92, and build it here in this country, leave off the safety device that Rossi puts on em, and build it in all the popular pistol calibers, 32 H & R/327, 38/357,41 mag, 44 special/44 mag, 44 40, 45 colt, 454 casull.
If built at a reasonable price, I think would sell really well
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: domestic model 92

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I would like to see that happen as well. But I think it is telling that it has not happened already.

Probably a good reason why nobody is investing money in this idea.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Henry is the closest thing you are gonna find. I like my Big Boy 41 but it's a bit heavy, maybe even a bit clunky.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It would be great to have a made in USA model 92 but it would be expensive.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I think the closest thing we have to that is the current production Winchesters under the Browning umbrella. But those are made in Japan. Very good quality though if you don't find the tang safety too offensive.

For US made, it's pretty much Henry and Marlin by Ruger for lever rifles. I don't see them deciding to try to learn how to build quality 1892s at any point for a few reasons.

As to a 92 in 454 Casull, that's a tricky one. Very high pressure and energy on that cartridge. Rossi did that at one time and it was short lived due to premature stretching of the receiver. I've heard they reintroduced it recently with stronger steel but I've not seen on for sale anywhere yet
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

If they had decent quality control several barrel length options including 24", and twist and bore diametres matching revolvers I would pay good money. Get rid of 1:30 and 1:38 twists and up to 5-6 thou variance in bores between manufacturers, models, even individual rifles.

It boggles my mind how they decide specs in the engineering department. I imagine the boss saying, well fellas we just made a 308 with a 308 bore. Now we are switching production to a 44 mag levergun. So who votes .429, .430, .431, .434 and heck why not a really oversized .435 bore as well so the cast bullet shooters will really hate us.
Boss we built all the last revolvers with fast twists and tight .430 bores?
Yes I know but these are leverguns, we need to keep our customers guessing for the next 100 years, its just how its done.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

mickbr wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:13 am If they had decent quality control several barrel length options including 24", and twist and bore diametres matching revolvers I would pay good money. Get rid of 1:30 and 1:38 twists and up to 5-6 thou variance in bores between manufacturers, models, even individual rifles.

It boggles my mind how they decide specs in the engineering department. I imagine the boss saying, well fellas we just made a 308 with a 308 bore. Now we are switching production to a 44 mag levergun. So who votes .429, .430, .431, .434 and heck why not a really oversized .435 bore as well so the cast bullet shooters will really hate us.
Boss we built all the last revolvers with fast twists and tight .430 bores?
Yes I know but these are leverguns, we need to keep our customers guessing for the next 100 years, its just how its done.
that's funny right there. I would give up a lot of firearms if I could get a stainless Model 92 44 with 16" barrel that would feed my revolver's 405Gr load. 1:20 or 1:16, with correct throat and groove diameters, etc. . . . I don't expect to see that in my remaining lifetime .....
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It’s never going to happen…ever…….the density of the wood in the old guns will never come back……the slow intensive hand craftsmanship needed is too costly……..groove diameters are overly large……..lawyers, just by nature, and a need to justify their own existence destroy the accuracy aspects that are needed for an accurate gun of the pistol calibered lever actions…………plus, with their “add on’s” of stupid safeties , magazine limits, and 10 pound gritty trigger pulls along with cheap stamped sights that are wobbly at best takes the fun out of a gun that you can be “proud to own”.

Much, much easier to save your money and instead of buying 3 - 5 pieces of junk, buy an authentic pre World War ONE Winchester or Marlin which will serve your needs and bragging rights for the rest of your days.

Guns are like cars…..like, who wants to been seen driving a tri painted dented up, smoking 1973 Oldsmobile……..you want to feel good while your doing what you like to do and walking the woods with a real 1892 along with a Colt SAA in a shoulder holster will keep you in the woods until dusk, instead of running back to the cabin at 9 a.m. and taking a 6 hour beer break with the other guys who have the same junk…You’ll all be sitting around the fireplace wondering and will finally blurt out, “where’s Bob and Sam?”……and another guy will say, “oh, Bob said he was going to go on the other side of the mountain….he just got that 44-40 Winchester 1892 made in 1907 and Sam has his grand pa’s 1886 takedown in 45-90 and said he was going with Bob”——-🤩. ——-006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:33 am It would be great to have a made in USA model 92 but it would be expensive.
+1
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

RIDERED350r wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:27 am I think the closest thing we have to that is the current production Winchesters under the Browning umbrella. But those are made in Japan. Very good quality though if you don't find the tang safety too offensive.

For US made, it's pretty much Henry and Marlin by Ruger for lever rifles. I don't see them deciding to try to learn how to build quality 1892s at any point for a few reasons.

As to a 92 in 454 Casull, that's a tricky one. Very high pressure and energy on that cartridge. Rossi did that at one time and it was short lived due to premature stretching of the receiver. I've heard they reintroduced it recently with stronger steel but I've not seen on for sale anywhere yet
I had a PUMA .454 Stainless, Great rifle before I loaned it to a friend to hunt with.
It is not the critic who counts