Levergun Day at the Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Levergun Day at the Range

Post by COSteve »

So, yesterday afternoon the sun was shinning, the wind was light, the chores were done so what to do? Have a levergun day at the range!!

So, I packed up 6 favorites, my 2 .357 Mag Rossi 92s, my .45 Colt Uberti 66 and 73, my 30-30 Mossy 464 and my .308 Winchester 88 and headed for the 200 yd stands at the range. After setting up I got to some serious plinking with all 6 platforms. Nothing fancy, no chrono testing, no sighting in, not testing loads. Just some good ole' plinkin fun. :D

I was having a great time just plinkin away when a few younger fellows stopped by to ask about my rifles sitting in the rack behind me at the line as most of them were shooting a variation of the AR, be it 5.56, .308 or one young man with a 50 Beowulf in an AR platform. A couple of them mentioned that they'd never seen anyone actually shoot a 92/94 pattern levergun. When I brought out my scoped Winchester 88, they all were puzzled as it looks very much like a Winchester model 70 but with a lever instead of a bolt.

As I was shooting the 92s and the Uberti 66 and 73, they couldn't believe that I was shooting a pistol bullet at targets at 200 yds. I explained that I'd loaded them specifically for the longer barrel of a levergun vs the commercial loads (and especially cowboy loads) that were used mostly in SA pistols and so the velocities and hence, longer range performance, was significantly enhanced.

This seemed to baffle all but the Beowulf shooter as he was the only other reloader in the group. When I told them that my hot 158grn .357 Mag loads produced 2,005 fps out of the 24" Rossi rifle, they couldn't believe it so I took a bowling pin out to 300 yds, adjusted the tang sight for that distance, aimed as carefully as I could and to my relief hit it on the second try after just missing on the first.

To say that they were astonished was putting it mildly as one said that he didn't think he could hit that bowling pin with his scoped AR at 300 yds. So, I gave them each their choice of the .357 Mag tang sighted Rossi 92, 24" rifle or .45 Colt tang sighted Uberti 73, 24" rifle and 3 rds to shoot at 200 yds and they admitted that the leverguns were easier to shoot long distance than they thought.

I explained about the target aperture in the tang sights and how it aided one's Depth of Field making shooting that distance easier than it looked and I must say that they were impressed. A couple said that they might just have to look at picking up one as they were more fun to shoot than their ARs because they got to manually cycle the action (just like in the cowboy movies). :lol:

I mentioned that, as they didn't handload, some Buffalo Bore Heavy .357 Mag or .45 Colt loads in Marlins produced some even higher velocities than my loads did but that the Uberti's design dictated that they stay with stand pressure (14,000psi or under) loads which is what I was using. I could see in their eyes that the session lit up an enjoyment for my leverguns and I'm sure at least one of them will end up with a levergun soon as he can find one to his liking.

All in all, it was an enjoyable afternoon shooting and I may have influenced a couple of shooters to give pistol caliber leverguns a try and that's always a good thing to show the young folks that there is a whole world of rifles out there that aren't ARs.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JimT
Shootist

Re: Levergun Day at the Range

Post by JimT »

Leverguns .. the "AR" of their generation! :lol:

The only thing comparable to a day at the Range with your levergun is a day in the woods.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is VITAL that we keep the fun of shooting in our culture, and although the black rifles are awesome, the leverguns are likely the most FUN overall.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

When I go 'woods walkin' I've only got a carbine; either .357 mag or .45 Colt and a SA pistol in the same caliber. I enjoy that but it's not about plinking so much but more about just walking through nature, the solitude and listening to the sounds of the woods.

I enjoy that a lot and do that often but at the range it's about plinkin with a variety of calibers / platforms, burning up a few rds and seeing how far away I can still hit the target for me.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Great range account Steve and if I may would like to share elsewhere.
Keep up the good work and glad you had a grand time👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!