Treasures

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Treasures

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Hi Men/Ladies,

I've been offline awhile after having to retire early for medical reasons. Don't have a home computer yet but the public library is a poor man's way to play.

I mentioned at church a few weeks ago that I really enjoyed doing research on older firearms....a couple in my Sunday School class said they had an old revolver for me to look at...a week later I went to visit and they showed me some wonderful old classics. The lady was raised on a ranch in the Texas Panhandle and her kin were all outdoorsmen.

Out first comes a 1st generation Colt Woodsman in 85 % condition, then an Iver Johnson Sealed 8 target in near new condition, next is a small single shot .22 with a hammer and break open barrel again like new, next out was a Colt 1851 Navy in good condition (I almost cried I want it), next a Springfield 1881(?) Trapdoor in fair condition then the gentleman asked if I needed a 30-30 which I always do........guess what ?? Out comes a 1895 Winchester in 30 Gov't '06 with the barrel marked especially for smokeless powder. The receiver was pretty shining and the barrel was blue/patina. The wood was very good with the exception of a cross bolt screw/bolt very well inletted into the wood at the wrist....I could not see any signs of a break or crack in that area.

I believe the Trapdoor and Colt Navy will clean up very well....nothing has boogered screws or missing parts and the firearms are all tight. Well they had zero idea what they had......they have sons and grandchildren and I asked if they were interested. Answer was no. I could have probably bought everything then and there but family treasures should stay with the family. I told them I would research everything and let them know......in the mean time I call the son who is a hunter and all around sportsman. He was not even aware of some of the items. He made contact with his mom and they are mostly spoken for.....I may be crazy but I don't think I could forgive my self for buying these without everyones knowledge or permission. I do have visitation rights.......God Bless ya'll..

jumbeaux
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: Treasures

Post by bsaride »

Excellent write up, and ya did the right thing.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It always feels better to do the right thing.

I inherited a lot of good stuff from my Grandfather when he passed away including a '73 Winchester, 92s, a 94 and a few others I never knew he had. It would have been really upsetting to hear someone else had made off with them.

Nice to hear that there are some good guys still out there. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I salute you sir, for your integrity.
Last edited by 66GTO on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

bsaride wrote:Excellent write up, and ya did the right thing.
+1 I sure would have liked to handle them as well.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andrew wrote:
bsaride wrote:Excellent write up, and ya did the right thing.
+1 I sure would have liked to handle them as well.
+ another. Your reward for such honorable actions will come later - either in this life or the next! :D
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Thanks for your example of integrity!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ya done good!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I would of done the same.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ya done good. :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Henry McCann wrote:Thanks for your example of integrity!
+1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

"Integrity" is how a person acts, when there's nobody else around to see, or know about.

Ya done the right thing, and will sleep well at night ! Good on you !
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I like to think I would have done the same. I probably would but to be honest the temptation would have been intense. I agree with everyone else. You did do the right thing. You are a good man. 1886.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

Huzzah! Good for you. Glad to know that I'm amongst other Boy Scouts and men of integrity.

I remember how incensed I was, about ten years back, hearing another shooter at a match brag how he ripped off some old widow - almost outright stole a $2K rifle for $300. *%#$&#$@!!! I don't know how people like that sleep at night.

Again, Good for you!
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

+1 on what everyone has said...
Molon Labe
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You did do the honorable thing !

But I am weak , I would have offered them a fair price for the 1851 Navy :oops:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !