Rambling thoughts on Pigstickers or: I need to get a life!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Rambling thoughts on Pigstickers or: I need to get a life!

Post by C. Cash »

I've been reading Meshack Browning's "Forty Four Years a Hunter"....his autobiography of hunting in what is now West Virginia/PA border region ca. 1795 onward. He killed thousands of deer, bear, and panthers, all combined, with his Longrifle. He also had what was thought to be a Green River Knife or something similar to a long riflemans knife. Often times, his rifle empty, he wound up finishing off the wounded deer or bear with that knife. At one point, he trees a bear with his hounds, shoots the bear, and old Mr. Bear just moves farther up the tree. He looks in his pouch and realizes he had just used his last ball. So, being of a different generation, he takes out the knife and goes up the tree! Half way up he feels the bears heartblood spill out on him and the bear falls dead. He was regarded as kind of crazy by his fellow hunters but his stories are backed up by others who were there. Reading his tales has really made me think about the knife as a real fighting weapon.

Fast forward a couple hundred years to last Sunday, not too too many miles from where old Meshack hunted. After Church I took my kids and wife to a park which is nice, but surrounded by trailers and low income. No don't get me wrong, I was a kid who came from a scene like that at times, and I know there's good folks there. I also knew from experience, that there is usually a number of nefarious fellows who quite possibly have aggressive pitt bulls that they would refuse to leash because it might tweak their ego. My gut told me to stay away but I pulled in against my better judgement. I thought.....what the heck am I gonna do if I get in trouble back here? I remembered I bought my wife a new slicing knife at the hardware store and I jammed it still in the package into my pocket. It almost looks like an old Green River Knife. Long story short......my wife is in the car feeding the baby and my two oldest boys are playing. I see wife go frantic and start pointing. I look over the car and there is the biggest most muscular Pitt Bull I had ever scene, next to car, running free. He saw me looking at him right away. He started to run fast towards us with his eyes fixed on us but I did my best not to run or encourage my kids to run as I went toward them. He looked not agressive but not friendly either. He was still making up his mind. I tried not to act like prey but I was as scared as H$%% for my boys. He broke off when something else caught his interest, thankfully, but kept an eye on us. I had my boys walk to the top of a large slide and I unwrapped that knife and waited for him to leave. Probably just overreacting but I wasn't going test out whether this dog was aggressive, but man did he look it. After eyeing us up and me and my boys acting like we were on on own business, he finally left. I put my family in the van and we drove off. A couple of thoughts and a question to tie this together(it's related, really!):

1. I was stupid for going there and not having my Security Six in the situation. I had no first line of defense with this dog if he had been aggressive, and if properly motivated, he could have taken me or my sons out. I knew he would pay dearly though and would probably give his life since I had the large knife.

2. I wonder if a good Bowie style knife isn't almost as important to have with you in these situations as your Pistola? That is, when the distance has been closed and your bullets have not struck a place to anchor the mad dog, hog or perp. Your natural reaction is just going to be to strike it while your being mauled or beaten. We rarely carry such a knife with us as we expect our firearm to end it, but I am starting to see the need.

3. Many of our frontier forefathers counted on having a large knife with them because they found themselves in these situations much more than we would think.

I have to admitt, Scott T's statement a good while back about a Bowie knife being a heck a close up weapon got me initially thinking about this. It does make sense and I think I shall carry my fixed blade buck special much more often for just such an occasion. I'll not be caught like that again with my family in the balance. Sorry for posting the rambling thoughts of my simple brain and have stated the obvious, but for some reason I had to type all that out and connect her up. :oops: I feel better know.
Last edited by C. Cash on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:52 am, edited 9 times in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

About 24 years ago, still in my late teens, my car broke down in the middle of a very cold December night. I was cutting through some back yards on the way to the nearest friend's house. This was long before cell phones! I was not dressed for the weather - and it was darn cold. I crossed into someone's yard, and apparently the dog residing there objected to my presence. It came at me, and I knicked him with the Bowie knife in the middle of the picture below. The dog decided it didn't want to be near me after that, and a second later I was out of his yard and into another!

This was my constant companion of a number of years. I can't recommend a Bowie enough!!!
Last edited by Ysabel Kid on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That should do just fine Ysabel Kid! Might "show" a little though when concealed :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:That should do just fine Ysabel Kid! Might "show" a little though when concealed :wink:
I still have a shoulder-holster I made for it many years ago, but that night, like most of the time, I was carrying it in the small of my back. It is not an easy knife to conceal, but it sure makes you feel good when you have it on you!!! :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

my choice of carry

Post by rjohns94 »

[img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... andall.jpg[/img]

I carried a Randall very similar to this one for many years in the service and it was used very effectively in a variety of circumstances. After the service, I retired the Randall I carried and now carry this one daily. The custom made sheath was made in the shop of Brad Emig and keeps the blade well securred in the small of my back and this knife rides so well there that it does not imprint very much. [/img]
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

While I have three Green Rivers, a bowie, and several other straight blade knives, I never consider carrying one on outings and rarely even around the ranch. A few times I have carried one of them on muzzle loading hunts but really only for period effect. I have several large folding lock blade knives that are constant companions, like the Buck Lite I have in my pocket as I type this. I hate to say it, but carrying a large fixed blade sheath knife on your belt to the park with your kids makes you stand out in a negative way to the public. Carry a good blade? Always! But carry consealed; just like your pistol should be. IMHO of course.
Zack
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Each locality is different. Some SERIOUSLY frown on the carrying of bladed weapons. Texas comes to mind. I think friends from down there have commented that a knife is a "no, no" by state law.

Still, I carry a knife all the time, or nearly so. Actually, three or more. Folders, but they work for their intended purpose. Only pulled one once in a self defense scenario. We were walking the beagle when some idjit let his pit bull head our way, acting quite aggressively. I passed the cane to my off hand and produced the auto opener (also not kosher in many districts of the US) and snicked it open, held off to the side so that the light would get it good. All of a sudden "Fido" got called back. When it became obvious that I would NOT stand for the mauling of myself, my wife OR my dog they decided that it was better to rein him in.

A common stock cane is another good item to have when out walking. And when walking a dog it's almost indispensable. It can keep aggressive dogs at bay and also be used as a nonlethal, non blood letting weapon. I whacked a couple of dogs with mine, to produce a more respectful distance and attitude than their all out charge.

Cane, knife, gun - they're all handy implements and have their uses for defense.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Wow....that is a very pretty knife/sheath indeed. Thanks for sharing all those fellas. Crocodile Dundee is getting outclassed here! Yes, thanks for the heads up on the laws/concealed carry. The park is isolated and I was pretty much sure that we would be the only ones there. I will be asking around about knife carry. At least it won't look bad while out scouting in the woods where one is more likely to encounter these situations.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

essential carry

Post by rjohns94 »

vowed long ago to be a sheep dog. below represent my essential carry items. The S&W .38+P is always near, I have a Carry permit for it. The auto knife is in my truck, the benchmade is on my jeans pocket, the Randall is either in my truck or at the small of my back.

[img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... ntials.jpg[/img][/img]
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is a fine setup. I carry my Dad's Security six in a pouch which is not ideal, need to upgrade to a better system of carry as with a good knife.

As for knives, I think 7" would do about anything unless you were being attacked by a bear(a very remote possibility indeed...much more likely to get tangled up with a wild dog or Pitt Bull type encounter)....thick sturdy blade with a smooth hilt that will stop your bloody/slippery hand but won't snag on clothes. My favorite, also given to me bymy Dad:

Last edited by C. Cash on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I really never find myself without a firearm when I'm out and about in town, so a knife usually doesn't come along.

But out hiking, hunting, camping, fishing, or off-roading nothing beats a Ka Bar.

This is one of my 357mag hunting rigs. I've got 2 more like it in 44mag, and both have a Ka Bar attached to it.

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

My Kershaw Blackout is my constant companion unless there's somewhere I can't legally carry it.

I hate leaving home without it. Although it only has a 3.25" blade, I have absolute confidence that it will do whatever is required of it.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The Kabar is a great all around knife. I carried one in the Army and loved it.
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

A Cold Steel 4" folder (thin, light, composit handle....fast opening) is always in my pocket and the S&W AirWeight is usually on me someplace. I've gotten hooked on knives lately and couldn't even tell you how many I have right now :oops:
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Cold Steel Laredo Bowie

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Now that's a knife Pete! Heard nothing but good about Cold Steel back at the old website and would have bought one if I could afford it. That would definitely have the added psychological impact if the attacker was 2 legged.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Re: my choice of carry

Post by Junior »

rjohns94 wrote:I carried a Randall very similar to this one for many years in the service and it was used very effectively in a variety of circumstances. After the service, I retired the Randall I carried and now carry this one daily. The custom made sheath was made in the shop of Brad Emig and keeps the blade well securred in the small of my back and this knife rides so well there that it does not imprint very much.
Please read the topic on images. Your picture is 3X too large in file size and about 2X too wide in pixels.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I usually have a knife or three around me somewhere.

In those locales that get all hinky about CCW of any type (Chicago) where circumstances don't lend themselves to
"don't ask don't tell" carry (like visiting the Metal Detector Heaven of City Hall) I keep a fully-packaged 8" double-edged
keyhole/drywall saw next to my seat in the car.

It can be unlimbered in a hurry, and as I also keep a hardhat in the car I can get away with it not being a "weapon".

I'd rather be attacked with a Bowie than one of these.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I also carried a Randall, and in 1990 I found this Blackjack knife at the Shot Show in Dallas, and it's pretty much been my constant companion ever since:

However, recently I've taken to carrying a Kershaw pocket knife. No pics, camera is broken. :cry:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That should work good OI....very nasty lookin', but do you honestly think they will stand still long enough for the tape and spackle? :wink: :wink: :wink: (I put three winks in there so I don't have to face a man with a dry wall saw :D )

Nice rig Griff!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have so many, but I've narrowed them down to either a Grohmann made Russell Canadian Belt Knife (or the Cold Steel copy) when hunting, a Leatherman KF2 Juice, and a Spyderco Delica... I don't stick pigs, I cut them up after shooting them. :wink:

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

I was partial to carrying a spyderco native, but I seem to have lost that somewhere. :x So now I carry a benchmade darkstar everywhere. Sorry guys I dont have the camera right now, the wife seems to have made of with it again.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I think a good blade is essential for both in the field and in urban environments. Both as a tool and as a last line of defense. When in town, I always have a good folder or two. My CRKT M-16 is always clipped in my right hip pocket. When I was a field tech, most the time it was my only defensive weapon, aside from those times I wore shorts with a Keltec in my pocket. I can tell you that facing down a charging dog with only a knife or 9" line pliers is not the ideal situation to be in but it's darn sure better than nothing. In the field I usually carry some sort of 4"-6" fixed blade knife, a custom by Walt Stockdale the last few years. My new 8" bowie from ML Knives is already a welcome addition to my fieldwear.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

C.Cash: I don't acually carry my Cold Steel Laredo Bowie. It's much too sharp - I might cut myself ! ;)

Since I use the Bowie as a camp knife, I usually carry one of these: :roll:

Did I mention that I tend to drop point hunters ? :)

BTW - The factory "Sharp", with the laminated handle, cost me $5.95 at F.W.Woolworth 25 years ago, and it's field dressed about 50 whitetails - and I haven't had to sharpen it yet.
It's fully the equal of the $400-ish , hand-made, custom knifes pictured above it.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Some beatiful knives here men, thanks for sharing. I am never without my Spyderco "Joe Horn" folder, designed by an ex-SEAL; just seems to fit me perfectly. My favorite belt folder is a Buck 110 in Titanium, light, quick and handles pretty well everything.
Oh and hey Y. Kid...next time you see a youngster with youthful exuberance running through your backyard at night with a LARGE knife and stabbing your dog, remember back when and don't shoot him!! :wink: :lol:
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Pete44ru wrote:C.Cash: I don't acually carry my Cold Steel Laredo Bowie. It's much too sharp - I might cut myself ! ;)
So you remember my knife sharpening skills huh Pete? :lol: Disabled I am! Great pics here fellas and thanks for sharing all these.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jazman wrote: Oh and hey Y. Kid...next time you see a youngster with youthful exuberance running through your backyard at night with a LARGE knife and stabbing your dog, remember back when and don't shoot him!! :wink: :lol:
I didn't stab him - just nicked him enough to make him wanna be somewhere else! :wink:

Yes - I was young and stupid. I forgot to mention - the nearest "friend" was a girl... I was on my way there, and didn't want to be late!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

"If you wore a Bowie knife on your first date, you might be a Redneck" :wink:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Here in The Democrapic People's Republik of Hawaii no such thing as a CCW license but a Bolo Machete/Cane Knife is considered quite normal as a emergency tool for vehicles in most areas though a "real" knife (Bowie, etc.) has a more negative stigma. I try to keep a Collins machete behind my seat for emergencies, but also a carry a 2 oz. pepper spray can with at least a 10% oleo capsicum content in the glove box to take on hikes to bomb hostile canines or their two legged vermin owners.
RICHP

Carry knife

Post by RICHP »

I think a blade over six inches is illegal. Richard
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:"If you wore a Bowie knife on your first date, you might be a Redneck" :wink:
Again, guilty as charged! :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I think a blade over six inches is illegal.]

In my experience, it depends on what your carrying, where.

If you were carrying a 2 1/4" pen knife, you'd be charged, in some cities, with carrying a knife with a blade over 2" long. :(
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Neat thread!

I used to think the Buck was a large knife, until I got the Gerber. The Gerber is almost too big, actually....

I always have a folder or two with me, and a very heavy duty 5'' fixed blade CRKT in the truck.

Rob
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is some beautiful steel there! Yeah I think the Buck General Purpose is an ideal knife for protecting your hide. That is a great looking OM Super too. :D :D :D

Ysabel: I remember the look of horror/amusement on my wife's face when I explained to her that my mother had bought me my first shotgun at a drive through Liquor store. You are not alone in the Redneck dept. my friend :wink:
Last edited by C. Cash on Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:That is some beautiful steel there! Yeah I think the Buck Special is an ideal knife for the purpose of protecting your hide. That is a great looking OM Super too. :D :D :D

Ysabel: I remember the look of horror/amusement on my wife's face when I explained to her that my mother had bought me my first shotgun at a drive through Liquor store. You are not alone in the Redneck dept. my friend :wink:
Good to have such fine company!!! :wink: