OT: For Webley Fans Here - Some ?s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

OT: For Webley Fans Here - Some ?s

Post by Bruce Scott »

I have lusted after one for years and now have an opportunity to buy a .455 Webley Mk VI which is described as follows:
"Good overall condition. Replacement grips. Darkish bore with good sharp rifling. Slight slop in action, comes with Simplex 7/8" dies & some empty cases. Serial No. 409344."

I emailed the dealer about the 'slight slop' and received this reply:
"The action is a top break with the locking/opening latch coming over the rear extension of the top strap. There is about 0.0025" play between the top of the top strap and the bottom of the latch. I do not have any previous experience with this make/type of pistol so don't know how much play would normally be there but I would expect it to be minimal. I imagine that it could be repaired if required but do not know if it adversely affects its operation or safety."

The gun is some distance from me but I could have a relative check it over. Thoughts on the condition as described and any other 'what to look for' advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I decided to pass on the S&W.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: For Webley Fans Here - Some ?s

Post by Cliff »

I have a couple of the Mark VI's and have had others. I never heard of the sloppy problem you mention. I wonder if the latch has been replaced or something. I think this part is fitted to the particular piece. I could be wrong. It does look like it hasn't been converted like so many here in the U.S. I have one unconverted and one converted. I know they are getting pricey used to sell around $40.00 USD, now they want over 300 or more for a converted and a premium for uncut one. If you can find more information and see if the latch is fitted to each particular piece when they are made might help. Parts maybe available, getting hard here in the U.S. to find most parts other than springs. Good Luck and be choosy on this one it might be a good one or it might be a clinker. Sad to hear of the dark bore, but that could be fouling build up(Hopefully). All the best.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have to agree with Cliff. That latch may have been replaced. With the action closed there shouldn't be any play.
Also Check the recoil plate in front of the latch, I've seen a few that have been cracked or missing small pieces.
The timing on these old guns can be way off. Be sure the cyl. locks up tight when the hammer's all the way back.
There should also be three sets of matching serial numbers, barrel assembly, cyl. and frame.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Yes, the latch is a worry. I was looking at a later model in .38 S&W at the range today, it locks up tightly.

The three numbers do match up. Hopefully, my uncle can look it over in the next day or so.

Great pic :mrgreen: !
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The "slop" sounds like a barging point. I'd have bought it and whacked it with a hammer. :D

Slow is just slow.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

One of my local gunshops has one of those lying in it's used gun case, F/S @ $129US, IIRC - but I have no clue as to Mark or caliber, etc, since I didn't look it over closely.

They also had a new Taurus .45 Colt pump rifle that they wanted to discount, as it had been there awhile.

If anyone's interested, I/m referring to here (ask for John Ball):

http://www.fosterbeararms.com/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pete44ru wrote:One of my local gunshops has one of those lying in it's used gun case, F/S @ $129US, IIRC - but I have no clue as to Mark or caliber, etc, since I didn't look it over closely.

They also had a new Taurus .45 Colt pump rifle that they wanted to discount, as it had been there awhile.

If anyone's interested, I/m referring to here (ask for John Ball):

http://www.fosterbeararms.com/
Most likely a .38 S&W at that price. The .455's go for more unless the condition is awful. I have a .38 S&W version and it is a fun little gun - but I wish I had waited for the .455!!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I just called the shop, to inquire as to what the caliber was - and was told it's no longer for sale, having been taken late yesterday.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

The slop can just be from wear or from shooting heavy loads or from whacking a Kraut on the head. I once saw a gunsmith repair this slop as follows... He took the revolver from the customer and told him to come back the next day. he then took the revolver to the back room and put a 20# bag of shot on the bench. Then he took off the grips of the gun and whacked the butt on the bag of shot a couple of times. Tightened the old girl right up. I asked if he had ever ruined a gun that way and he told me no, "You just need to know how hard to whack 'em".

My prefered method for removing this slopp is to put the frame in a fixture i milled and then lightly peen the lugs. Either way this is not a big deal and will be a cheap fix. Just make sure that the gun is 455 and not converted. There is no real problem with the moon clip auto rim conversions but they are less valued.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Very cool but strictly for collectors. Those woodenic cartridges are no longer available - :wink: