OT - 44 Mag Super Blackhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

OT - 44 Mag Super Blackhawk

Post by Old Savage »

Just picked this one up. Shot these 3 of the first four rounds at 15 yds off hand. :D No idea I could still do this. Obviously I am thrilled with this new gun. My attempt here at being artistic. Second of the four rounds hit the metal target hanger and fragmented on the top of the target. I stopped shooting when I saw the three shot group. The ammo was Federal Factory. Anyone know what this ammo would chronograph?

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT - 44 Mag Super Blackhawk

Post by gamekeeper »

I bet Elmer would be thrilled too! 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

nice 44...good shootin to
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nice revolver congrats :wink:

I took a revolver just like that in a trade a year or two ago . Never fired it , as shortly after I traded it towards one of my Marlin 336ER's . Now I knida wish I had just payed all the money and kept the SBH !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Congrats OS. One of my true weaknesses...the Super Blackhawk.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OS,

That is a nice SBH. And it does take some for me to say that because I just can not shoot them. That square backed trigger guard causes me no end of pain, bruises, and agony. Just tears my middle finger up.

But I do like to look at them. That one is one of the nicest I've seen in a while.

Put about 3 clicks right windage to it, then move it out to 50 yards and adjust the elevation and you'll be all set.

As for how fast those Federals are moving, I have no idea.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My 10" shoots like that. Love those guns. Joe, try a different grip, takes all the bite and sting out of it...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

C Cash, never really went for the SBH but this one spoke to me in the Gunshop. Now I have the trio on the cover of Skeeter's book Good Friends, Good Guns and Good Whiskey. Skeeter apparently loved these too.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

OS that's a beautiful gun and your group will let Elmer smile for sure!
Three goodies in your last picture. Love the look of the S&W M 24. An all time classic.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks Rman, that Model 24 is probably one of my all time favorite's - can't leave out the K22 but of course that is a different class. The one in the holster is a 5 1/2" SBH.

The Colt is also a 44 Spl.

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

OS did not notice before that not both Rugers are the same gun. But now I see the difference.
What's the favorite diet of your S&W M 24?
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Grizz, nice "Buntline" Ruger with custom front sight. I prefer a smooth wood grip. Do not like the Pachmayr grips. Good results with Eagle Buffalo grips and Eagle Elk grips. The look good and roll perfect.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ravenman wrote:Grizz, nice "Buntline" Ruger with custom front sight. I prefer a smooth wood grip. Do not like the Pachmayr grips. Good results with Eagle Buffalo grips and Eagle Elk grips. The look good and roll perfect.
I don't let 'em roll, I let the gun rise from my elbows with my wrists locked. Different technique. Took around fifty deer with that gun I think, shot like a carbine. And those grips take all the bite out of the experience, the gun recoils back into the palm. Perfect for me. 320g plain base hard cast nailed 'em DRT.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rman, here is my best accuracy load - this is at 25 yds offhand. Almost 20 years ago. 12.5 grains of 2400 with very good hardcast Keith 240 gr.

I see from records that there might be one that was better. 12.6 gr of 2400 with a Nosler JHP went 1 1/2" for 6 shots and 5.6 gr of 452 did as well as the target above.

3.9 gr of WSL is like a 22 almost and I see I put 5 of 6 shots in 3 1/4" at 50 yds with that. Very easy to shoot.

If you have a lot of any particular powder let me know - I tried a lot of combos in 6,000 rds and many did almost as well.

My hot load for this is 17.0 gr of 2400 with the same weight bullet. Jacketed 240s also shot very well with both loads.

Last edited by Old Savage on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is another picture of the three that appeared on the cover of Skeeter's book.

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Took my 1989 vintage SBH out yesterday with 6 test shots at 25 yards. I was as usual in a hurry and all coffee'd up/shaky, but still put four of them close together. This is 7.0 gr. Unique and Mt. Baldy Keith 250 gr.

Last edited by C. Cash on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That would get the job done now wouldn't it !!! :!:

Mine is a 96 vintage but appeared unfired when I just got it. :D

Savage King
Levergunner

Post by Savage King »

hey geuss who i am
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe is that you ????

Savage King
Levergunner

Post by Savage King »

yes it is
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome aboard ! :)

otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Old Savage wrote:Just picked this one up. Shot these 3 of the first four rounds at 15 yds off hand. :D No idea I could still do this. Obviously I am thrilled with this new gun. My attempt here at being artistic. Second of the four rounds hit the metal target hanger and fragmented on the top of the target. I stopped shooting when I saw the three shot group. The ammo was Federal Factory. Anyone know what this ammo would chronograph?

Federal "American Eagle" 44 Magnum 240 grain Jacketed Hollow Point Ammunition
Muzzle Velocity: 1230 fps

The Federal "Fusion 240 gr is 1210fps.

Mighty pretty clover leaf you got there, Old Savage!
otteray
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

OS that's pretty good shooting with your S&W Model 24. You can't go wrong with 2400. My favorite powder for all my Magnum (357, 41 and 44) reloads. Do not have a 44 Special but one day I got to buy one. This cartridge has spirit.

Otteray, did you get the velocity readings out of a Super Blackhawk with the same barrel length?
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Ravenman wrote:OS that's pretty good shooting with your S&W Model 24. You can't go wrong with 2400. My favorite powder for all my Magnum (357, 41 and 44) reloads. Do not have a 44 Special but one day I got to buy one. This cartridge has spirit.

Otteray, did you get the velocity readings out of a Super Blackhawk with the same barrel length?
No, from a website that sells it.
I roll own ammo for my Super Blackhawk, S&W Mountain Gun, Colt SAA 1st Gen. 44 Spec. and S&W M29 S-2.
230gr and 275 gr cast Old West
otteray
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Fred -

Looks like that will do!!! 8) :D :wink: