Front sight for an 86.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Front sight for an 86.

Post by Jay Bird »

Anyone have a favorite? I am going to replace mine, on a 26 in oct. Has to be a short as possible. I put a Marbles rear tang on, it only goes so high. Brass is not an option for the sun makes me shoot funny. :lol:
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Front sight for an 86.

Post by perry owens »

I have Marbles tang sights and beech combination front sights on my '86s. Personally I prefer the all-black to the gold washed type. There are several makes available:http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3104.htmlbut none are inexpensive.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Tommy Reb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tommy Reb »

The Lyman 17AHB works fine for me on my 86 with the Marbles tang rear.
Unreconstructed
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

WOW, I like that beech sight. Is it higher then a stock sight? looks like it is alot higher.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dude,
Pictured below are four sights. The first on the left and the third are post sights. The third one is the sight I was telling you about. You can file it to achieve maximun elevation for the rear tang sight. The hooded sight mounted on 1886 #29212 is an antique hooded sight with a post insert. To me, that is the best for target shooting. I recently mounted it for silhouette shooting. The other two beaded sights are also fine as the second from the left is flat faced brass and the far right one is an original ivory bead (1/16") for the mighty elk. That last sight was mounted on #29212 for about 30 years------Yo Pappa

Image,

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Where does he get this stuff? I'm telling you guys he got freight containers full of this stuff. :mrgreen:
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

WOW, I like that beech sight. Is it higher then a stock sight? looks like it is alot higher.
Mine is a Montana Vintage Arms one. The bead is 0.385in from center to bottom of the dovetail and the blade is 0.445 from top to bottom of dovetail. They intend that you should file the blade down to get the right point of impact.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Six Jr At first I coudnot figure yuou question knowing How much stuff you old man has .Then relaized you were asking opinions .
I happen to like the Marbles sourdough sight Straight post with top part in brass ( you can color the brass if its to bright and it comes in three heights ) BUT I heard rumors of it being discontinued
But evenif its discontinued I woud bet you knwo some one back east here tha has twelve or fourteenof them :D
Come on jack cough one up for your son :)
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Bluehawk wrote: But evenif its discontinued I woud bet you knwo some one back east here tha has twelve or fourteenof them :D
Come on jack cough one up for your son :)
Howdy Danny!,
After Jr. reached 35 years old, I decided to cut the cord. :D He is "on his own"
:D Everytime he comes to visit, somehow things in the gunroom grow feet and just sneak on outta there! :lol:
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

I may be alone in the universe. I prefer [correct height] Lyman target front sight -- with blade of my choice seated upside down. When using an upside down blade, the target is never obscured by the sight blade, regardless of range, and is acquired more quickly than with conventional blade. It takes about ten minutes to become accustomed to the sight, then you'll wonder why you used anything else.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson