Levergun cartridges on life-support

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Levergun cartridges on life-support

Post by victor »

I stumbled upon this article today(from Apr. 2007).
This guy wants to see our favorite levergun cartridges taken off
life-support. :shock: Must be a bolt-action guy.Check it out.
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/classics/ ... index.html
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Levergun cartridges on life-support

Post by crs »

Yes, I saw it back then - what a party-pooper he is.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I remember seeing it also. I even read a couple lines. As an author he is hurting if that kind of stuff is all he can come up with. :shock:
41_Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 41_Marlin »

Just think what that would do to the value
of what folks around here have stashed. :P
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

About the sort of drivel I would expect from Guns and Blammo. Barf.

I got as far as "what's with the .22 Hornet? Why is it still around?" and realized this
joker doesn't have a CLUE. The Hornet is coming on stronger than ever as low-noise,
less powerful cartridges are increasing in importance where tracts of land are smaller
and areas are more settled. I just nailed some groundhogs in PA in a farming region
using a c. 1935 Winchester Model 54 Hornet with its original 6X Fecker small game scope a few weeks ago. For certain farms, the Hornet is absolutely outstanding. When I was shooting on the back end of one smallish farm, my partner could not near me up by the house at the front. Making less noise also scares the groundhogs in adjoining fields less, so you get more shots, faster as they don't head underground as much. It is very efficient and cost-effective to reload, and in quality rifles, can give surprising accuracy. My Win. 54 with very old Super-X ammo (so old it has dome-shaped primers!) or 35 gr. V-Max handloads, gives sub-MOA accuracy routinely out to 200 yards, again with the little Fecker scope.

The .223, .22-250, etc. all have their place, but so does the Hornet. Articles like this
remind me of why I dropped the "news-stand" gun magazines back in 1985. Sure haven't
missed them, either!!!!

To quote Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon."
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just stiring up a debate!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Just stiring up a debate!
Yep - that's exactly what they do; I don't take it personally - they KNOW it will get people responding, arguing, and provide the foundation for next month's article. "Revolver vs. Auto" "Bolt vs. Lever" "Magnum vs. Standard" - they go through the same topics every couple of years. Fun for light reading, but I do prefer the 'meatier' magazines.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Realistically speaking none of those cartridges are on life support.
Manufacturers will only make rifles or ammo as long as we buy enough of them to make it economicaly viable, if we stop buying they stop making. The writer points out that the hornet and bee are on borrowed time because we have the 223, what he fails to see is the 223 uses twice as much powder, makes twice as much noise and sends bullets twice as far across farmers paddocks. As wide open spaces get harder to find I see a lot of reasons to stick to shorter range and quieter calibres.
The 218 especially has a good future ahead of it, if only Marlin would do another run of them so those of us in USA and Oz could fulfill our need.
We have a gunsmith at our club who has back orders to make up as many 1894 218 conversions as he can find parts for. He finished one a couple weeks ago and I asked if I could have it and he told me I was 60th on the list, I hope he was kidding :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Hmmm....if the name fits....I'm speaking of the Author....Hack..er...

Ed
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Well, I have never fired any of those cartridges but he still sounds like a goober to me. I agree about the .45 GAP. I don't get it either.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
William
Levergunner

Post by William »

I guess he doesn't reload either.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Anti Virus for that Hacker :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Was just musing yeasterday that with the new rubber tip bullets for lever guns wouldn't a 22 hornet lever gun be a cool idea! Gun mags are in it for the money so they have to stir the pot.They seem to miss the point of the older guns/ cartridges.Most of my guns are older then me and would be older still if I could afford the habit.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

It's G&A, it hasn't been worth the paper it was printed on for a long time. Rick Hacker is a good writer but that article is the kind of juvenile nonsense that is to be expected of G&A.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't read the monthlys anymore..Not for a long time. If I need to know something, I'll ask here, mostly, so TERRY MURBACH can yell at me for not using the seach or buying a book to find out :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

Opening on the hornet was laughable. That thing may never be big, but it is constantly being rediscovered and adopted in some gun or other. His rational that the .223 was higher velocity applies to the 22LR also. might as well say "why do we have dogs - my cat is better at catching mice than my dog is..."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

he keeps mentioning that the guns chambered for certain cartridges aren't being made anymore. But he forgets that guns last for generations, they have owners and need to be fed. If you discontinue a gun you will still have a market for the ammo for quite some time.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

Hacker invokes Colonel Cooper's name. Rick Hacker claims to be a friend of Chuck Connors. See here:

www.gunsandammomag.com/classics/homed_082906/

I recall that Hacker also has a "Rifleman's" rifle, that was one of Chuck's personal copies of the gun he used on the series.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

He's a dork. I don't get or read G&A any more. I do get and read Handloader, Rifle and Successful Hunter - along with Shooting Times and my Rifleman and Hunter mags from my memberships.

Variety is the spice of life. Its just unAmerican to suggest doing away with the classic cartridges.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Market economics being what they are, I can sort of understand his point.

NIB ammunition from major Mfgs for small-batch markets only drives up the cost of mre "common" calibers.

IMO in almost every case he mentioned you get better performance from handloading anyway, and I'm guessing that 90+ % of those who have those calibers reload already and rarley buy NIB.

Frankly, again, from a purely economic standpoint, it would be far better for Rem/Win/ATK to drop those calibers and let them be carried by specialty loaders like Grizzly, or Buffalo Bore for those who don't reload.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I seem to remmember reading an article this same guy wrote about the virtues of the 32 Special in the new Hornady rubber tipped stuff !

I suppose it all depends on what day it is and which side he cares to push that day :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"Rick Hacker claims to be a friend of Chuck Connors."

Big deal.

He's still a dork!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tumbleweeds »

Been hearing that line all my life. I'm only surprised he left out the 16 guage.

:roll:
OK, OK, I made the jump.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Tumbleweeds wrote:Been hearing that line all my life. I'm only surprised he left out the 16 guage.

:roll:
Now that you mention it !

He might have said the only thing keeping the 28 gauge afloat was registered skeet !

And the 10 gauge , I'm suprised he didn't bash that one as well !

I'm no longer a big shotgun person ! But I gotta say my two favourite shotgun gauges have been the 16 and 28 for a number of years !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Interesting Rick Hacker has been the champion of the lever Action for 30 years I have old articles by him from various magazines over the years. for years he wrote how he had never taken a game animal with a scoped rifle. His articles on the BIG old lever guns back in the 80s were an inspirtation to me to start loading and using old time cartirdges
No doubt in my mind that it was supposed to be controversial and stir up reader ship . I started getting Guns& AMMO as a free perk from either Mid south shooters supply or one of them lately , I actualy looked at them for the first few months and then the drivel got so bad I just throw it away now when it comes in.
OH well Editors want the advertising and the sales are probalby declining
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
45Jack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45Jack »

The author states: " A .32 H&R Magnum will outperform the .32-20 WCF any day of the week..."

I don't buy that.
Jack
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

My cars front tires have out-lived its usefulness.
A dried up pen has out-lived its usefulness.
A dead battery has out-lived its usefulness.

How can my rifle/cartridge that gives hours of fun at the range,go afield to bag game and stand ready for home duty be said to have out-lived its usefulness?
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

victor wrote:My cars front tires have out-lived its usefulness.
A dried up pen has out-lived its usefulness.
A dead battery has out-lived its usefulness.

How can my rifle/cartridge that gives hours of fun at the range,go afield to bag game and stand ready for home duty be said to have out-lived its usefulness?
I don't think they've outlived their usefulness... quite the contrary.

But I do think they have outlived the need for the Major Ammunition Manufacturers to continue to produce them... which, in Marketing/Gun Rag terms is "dead".

I can't expect ATK/Federal to make 9.3x72R ammunition just because I happen to have a 100 y/o rifle for it.

Reloading & Specialty Ammo shops are much better suited to the task.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Just like the .327 Federal is like a .357 magnum but better. NOT! Like the .45 GAP ammo it's redundent. Like you can find out with the articals page one can see some of these "down and out" calibers, wouldn't be that way if their weren't for some technical/ human engineering issuse such as "magumized" .45 Long Colts rounds. If it wasn't for the fear of idiots putting such loads in Colt Peacemakers , one would be saying .44 magnum and .454 who???!!!

That and some rounds become victim of lack of development or the forgetting of old ways such as the .30-30. They used to make a furtakers round that can still take care of barn yard pests and take small game without distruction. Or how about Hornady taking the leverevoltion ammo further. Say they already make a "non standard" 160gr bulliet weight. I know,I know, that was the orignal weight, but it seems as though the market has settled on 125/130, 150, 170gr as standard wieghts. So why not do something differant like say a full bore 85gr leverevoltion bulliet with a thin jacket so it can be used as a varmiter/ defense round. And how about a 200/220 grainer for "extened range" load. That would be differant, but practical.

Just my .02 cents for what it worth.

Rifleman 336
Last edited by Rifleman336 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

They have pages to fill each month. And really, how much NEW stuff is there in the gun world??? Making a 1911 shorter, a bolt gun in stainless...wow...... so they dream up these "fluff" stories to fill space. That, or go under! Too many magazines trying to survive with too little stuff to say!! Thats why you get these dumb "44 Mag vs. XXX " stories.... just fluff....no substance. More Substance can be found in places like this than those rags.....
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Just another liberal disguised as a gun writer. He was probably planted there by Ted Kennedy. :wink:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mr. Hacker has an article in Guns and Ammo on the stands now titled something like "Cowboy Up" promoting the SAs, SxS and levergun as valid self-defense and hunting guns. Seems you guys have more to do with his editor than Mr. Hacker.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

wtf that dumb *** needs to go shoot something other than 330-ultratard mag
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

my 375 win is on life support guys :lol: .footlocker full of brass molds and gc's :lol: .
I have been telling people for years those bolt guns will never catch on :mrgreen:
pete
DAV life member.