Looking for Article re. .30-30 vs. Monster Brown Bear

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Looking for Article re. .30-30 vs. Monster Brown Bear

Post by Cosmoline »

Someone here might be able to help me on this one. I remember reading an article, probably on-line, which included an account of a .30 WCF Winchester being used to drop a monster brown bear that had survived decades of pot shots with earlier weapons. This would have been in the 1890's or early 1900's. I thought it was an article on this site but I can't find it. I believe it took place in Canada.

Anyone remember this?
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Re: Looking for Article re. .30-30 vs. Monster Brown Bear

Post by Bullard4075 »

I remember something about this. Google "Ol Groaner" or "Ol Growler" or something like that. I'll try to look it up tonite.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Right bear wrong gun. The bear was Old Mose and was shot in Colorado after years of depradations. The gun that finished him was a 30-40 Krag and it took six shots.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

That was a different one. The article was referencing the advent of "white powder" with the .30 WCF and Win 94. It's not the growler one and it's not the Old Ephriam one.

EDIT: Ah, here it is. "White powder" was the key word. It's one of Paco Kelly's articles:
He was huge...he terrorized the north west Idaho/Canada border country for twenty years. He was a cattle killer, as he grew older and slower he became a man killer...he ravaged and put fear into the hearts of those who lived in his roaming area for those two decades....he was shot over a dozen times with many of the heaviest black powder calibers of the times...but they never stopped him. Even to the point of charging several of the shooters and killing them....

Then in the fall of 1895 armed with a new high velocity rifle and caliber and lots of courage....a young 22 year old man that had grown up during this grizzly’s incredible reign of terror...hunted him down and killed him. John Horton out of Kalispel, hit him three times...twice at 75 yards to put him down, once in the head at point blank range, to make sure he stayed down. What was this fantastic new cartridge and rifle. A Winchester model 94 in 30-30...with 160 grain bullets at approx 1960 fps. And this is not an unusual story...a number of nasty bears that seemed impervious to black powder rounds met their match with the new ‘white powder’ rounds of the turn of the 19th/20th century.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3030again.htm
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

not what you were looking for but in the Book "Last of the Brown Bear Men", the story of Pinnell and Talifson. There is a chapter where one of the guides takes an 11 foot Browine with his 30-30 94 winchester. He later gets a winchester 70 in 375 H+H by the way.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, the 30-40 and 30-30 rounds were the big medicine of their day. I can't help but think it may have had somenthing to do with the lack of a huge cloud of smoke obscuring followup shots....

I'd rather have a 45-70 with 405 grain bullets at 1350 fps muzzle velocity any day over a 30-30 for grizzly. :shock:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I just find it fascinating how our views of firearms change over the decades. In 1900 they would have thought you foolish for using an "old fashioned" .45-70 against a brown bear instead of the newest white powder marvel. Of course they hadn't discovered what happens when you load a .45-70 with the new powder.

The thing that got me thinking about this was a friend who used one of my old WIn 94's to shoot a brown bear last month. It was a gut shot that stopped the charge but left him wounded. A neighbor killed him. On the one hand it did stop the charge, on the other it didn't kill him. But then again what would kill a large boar if you're shooting its gut from the hip? And what rifle is portable enough you can take it to the outhouse with you?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Jack Turner from BC, Canada shot the #2 grizzly in 1965 at 5 to 10' with a 30 WCF was walking down a trail got crossways with him, heard that 2 years ago he was mauled by 2 or 3 grizzlies outside his cabin in BC still alive. I also know of a ole boy up here in Montana that killed a grizzly with a 25/35 have seen a photo of the skull with the hole in it. Those 94's can get the job done. danny
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

Love the 30/30. Actually up here we get the odd 94 in 303, and that babby has dumped a lot of elephant, though I am not sure whether the loads are the same for the Lee Enfield and the 94.

While the grizzly was walking perpendicular with a pal in open ground, not clossing, Art Young's grizzly with a longbow shows that a hole in the right place, you can measure for a rug.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

yeah we see some old 94 in 303 from ww11 when thats all you could get??
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

It's all about shot placement :wink: If a long bow can do it, a 30-30 can do it also
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

TomD wrote:Love the 30/30. Actually up here we get the odd 94 in 303, and that babby has dumped a lot of elephant, though I am not sure whether the loads are the same for the Lee Enfield and the 94.

While the grizzly was walking perpendicular with a pal in open ground, not clossing, Art Young's grizzly with a longbow shows that a hole in the right place, you can measure for a rug.
The Mdl 1894 / 94 Winchester was never made in the 303 British, the action is too small for the cartridge. You might be thinking of the 1895 Winchester.
If so then the same loads work for each.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

TomD wrote:Actually up here we get the odd 94 in 303,
Tom,

Where is "up here"? I don't see a location in your signature.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Maybe they were thinking 303 Savage in the Winchester 94. I know it was never chambered for the Savage round, but there was an American Rifleman article back in the 80's that discussed a trapper out in Washington State or Oregon who had a 94 converted to 303 Savage for whatever reason. If I can locate that article, I'll let you know the month and year.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Cosmoline wrote: And what rifle is portable enough you can take it to the outhouse with you?
And folks sometimes think it's silly to have a bathroom gun...... :wink:
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

And folks sometimes think it's silly to have a bathroom gun......
Sometimes it's good to just sit and "shoot the ..."
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

You will also note that Olive Fredrichsen thought the 30-30 was not perfect for big bears but adaquate.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cosmoline wrote:And what rifle is portable enough you can take it to the outhouse with you?
If I lived in BEAR country, my portable outhouse 'rifle' would be a .454 Casull 6" barreled revolver; of course the poor folks who lived in real bear country a century ago had no such option.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

If I lived in BEAR country, my portable outhouse 'rifle' would be a .454 Casull 6" barreled revolver; of course the poor folks who lived in real bear country a century ago had no such option.
I lived on the lot where this bear was shot for several years before returning to indoor plumbing. I had a Casull when I went out there, but didn't keep it long. It's more practical to have a packable rifle. In the outhouse, for example, what are you going to do? Let it hit the ground with your belt? It's a lot easier to have a levergun leaning against the wall.

Besides which, how much additional power does a .454 give you over a .30-30?