Sort of a lever, Ruger #1 .450-400 3"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Sort of a lever, Ruger #1 .450-400 3"

Post by 1886 »

Anyone had the pleasure? I found one recently. It has been fired but like new with the box and papers with dies and brass. Dies and brass are pricey, glad they were part of the deal. Mt. Baldy rushed me some .412" FNGC. Looking forward to a little range time. 1886.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Sort of a lever, Ruger #1 .450-400 3"

Post by Mich Hunter »

I hope to have the pleasure one day. I really don't have a need for something that large, but then again I have no need for 90% of what I have :lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Haven't seen one in 450-400, but I do have one in 405 Win. I got mine in a similar deal with ammo, brass, dies and lots of bullets. Haven't had time to do much with the handloads, but it shoots the factory Hornady stuff very well. Cool rifles. 8)
NRA Life Member
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Had the hots for it big time when it was announced but cooled in the time it took to get them to the shelves. Components are still only trickling out. The good news is that you can call Hornady and get their dies for a fraction of what RCBS gets.
pete-driver
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pete-driver »

How about a picture? John
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We have a half dozen #1's at the moment !

But nothing larger the a 280 REM . But I've been looking long and hard at the 450-400 and the 9.3x74R !

The price of the rifles new isn't so bad ! But as you stated already , dies and brass for these two are a little shall we say STIFF :!:
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

1886: Please do post photos and especially range results. I had Chick Donnelly of Siskiyou Barrel Works build me a No.1 in this caliber about 12 years ago, and it is now somewhere in Alaska. At the time, I had trouble with dies, reamers and brass all matching, and I was much less experienced with big bores.
The factory No. 1 and the Hornady compoents and dies make this a very tempting proposition. Same with the No. 1 in 9,3X74R, but I already have a CZ in 9,3X62, so that base is covered.
HollicaSnooze
Levergunner

Post by HollicaSnooze »

I picked up one last fall and have really enjoyed shooting it, sort of a big brother to the 9.3 x 74R 1-S. Have run nothing but handloaded 400 gr Woodleigh's through it, ahead of a bull's dose of RL-22. Plenty authoritative for all that I might encounter in the "jungles" of Louisiana and southwest Mississippi (and points beyond, for that matter). One can see why Keith thought so much of the cartridge, endorsing it's use in such tickly situations as following up brown bear in the alders.I set mine up with a NECG rear peep, using a Brownell's 3/8" "Twilight Aperature", which has a brass ring around it's perimeter to enhance sighting in low light conditions. With a .090" hole, it is offers a quick, accurate sight picture.

With it's more slender barrel profile, I find the .450-400 1-H to handle a bit better than my other 1-H in .416 Rigby, although the heavier weight (augmented by a C & H Mercury Recoil Suppressor) of the Rigby is much appreciated when touching off "lock your hat" loads.

Reference the A-Square manual, "Any Shot You Want" for several good loads with 3 different powders, if you can find a copy. I have only tried RL-22 and am quite pleased with the results so far.

If I get a chance, I'll post some pics of mine this afternoon.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I just set up to do some pressure tests with the 450-400 for another guy. Test barrel is installed on a bolt test action. Not many bullets available for it but it is an interesting cartridge. Quite sure that you could get a 300 grainer going speeds that no (now existing) bullet could withstand. Be aware that Woodleigh 410s are rarely available (the Ruger is .410). The 411s are but at this point, I don't now the consequences of the larger bullet. In a soft, I doubt much but the steel jacketed solids may be a different matter. Luckily the Hornadys are .410.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

HollicaSnooze wrote:I picked up one last fall and have really enjoyed shooting it, sort of a big brother to the 9.3 x 74R 1-S. Have run nothing but handloaded 400 gr Woodleigh's through it, ahead of a bull's dose of RL-22. Plenty authoritative for all that I might encounter in the "jungles" of Louisiana and southwest Mississippi (and points beyond, for that matter). One can see why Keith thought so much of the cartridge, endorsing it's use in such tickly situations as following up brown bear in the alders.I set mine up with a NECG rear peep, using a Brownell's 3/8" "Twilight Aperature", which has a brass ring around it's perimeter to enhance sighting in low light conditions. With a .090" hole, it is offers a quick, accurate sight picture.

With it's more slender barrel profile, I find the .450-400 1-H to handle a bit better than my other 1-H in .416 Rigby, although the heavier weight (augmented by a C & H Mercury Recoil Suppressor) of the Rigby is much appreciated when touching off "lock your hat" loads.

Reference the A-Square manual, "Any Shot You Want" for several good loads with 3 different powders, if you can find a copy. I have only tried RL-22 and am quite pleased with the results so far.

I installed the NECG peep with the brass ringed .125. I have had Art Alphin's book for about 13yrs now. Interesting read. I will not be shooting many Woodleigh solids through mine. Too much dough! I will stick with the Mt.Baldy 400gr FNGC. What a beautiful bullet. Midwayusa is selling some premium solid for about half their normal price. Will advise. 1886.
HollicaSnooze
Levergunner

Post by HollicaSnooze »

You're right about the Woodleigh's 1886, they are to be rationed out like a good wheated bourbon! I bought my supply just a bit before they went almost 2x in price. Considering either Hawk or Hornady now for most shooting, but have given some thought to casting up a decent GC design. I would expect some XMP-5744 would be a good powder for such a bullet.

I looked at Mt. Baldy's site and did not see the bullet you mention. Since the Ruger is .410", how do you feel the .412" Mt. Baldy's will perform?
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

They should do well. Look at Frank's .416 offerings. Those are the bullets he will size accordingly. I had some of his 350gr .414" that shot real well in a 95 .405. CBinNH had some for his .405 Ruger. May be he will chime in. I hope to get out early tommorrow with the .450 .400 and give them a try. 1886.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I always wanted a No.1 in 45-70 and ream out the chamber to 45-120, not as expensive reloading components.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

GANJIRO wrote:I always wanted a No.1 in 45-70 and ream out the chamber to 45-120, not as expensive reloading components.
I have had the same idea only a .45-90 or .45-110. 1886.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

HollicaSnooze wrote:I picked up one last fall and have really enjoyed shooting it, sort of a big brother to the 9.3 x 74R 1-S. Have run nothing but handloaded 400 gr Woodleigh's through it, ahead of a bull's dose of RL-22. Plenty authoritative for all that I might encounter in the "jungles" of Louisiana and southwest Mississippi (and points beyond, for that matter). One can see why Keith thought so much of the cartridge, endorsing it's use in such tickly situations as following up brown bear in the alders.I set mine up with a NECG rear peep, using a Brownell's 3/8" "Twilight Aperature", which has a brass ring around it's perimeter to enhance sighting in low light conditions. With a .090" hole, it is offers a quick, accurate sight picture.

On the subject of aperture sights. I held a #1 .45-70 with the Ashley/XS system installed. Very fast. Faster than the NECG with the .125" aperture installed. I took the .125" and opened it up to .140" and polished it with a pointed Dremel polishing bit. It is now faster but not like the XS. I do not think an aperture any larger is available. 1886.
hunter-angler
Levergunner
Location: Grand Marais, Michigan (home is where the Two Hearted is)

Post by hunter-angler »

1886 wrote: On the subject of aperture sights. I held a #1 .45-70 with the Ashley/XS system installed. Very fast. Faster than the NECG with the .125" aperture installed. I took the .125" and opened it up to .140" and polished it with a pointed Dremel polishing bit. It is now faster but not like the XS. I do not think an aperture any larger is available. 1886.
FYI Williams makes a .150" aperture that will fit the NECG peep threads. I have one mounted on my Ruger No. 1 .450-.400 and it is fast on target.

The .400 Jeffery is a great old British round, and perfect in a "farky" style action like the No.1. Please keep us posted as you work up handloads. That big case should have a lot of potential in a strong modern action like the Ruger.
old school rimmy
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought a used Ruger #1H in 375 H&H MAG a few years ago and it had a NECG peep sight included in the deal !

I kinda liked that sight :wink:

But now I no longer have the rifle or the sight :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !