Figuring optimum barrel length?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Figuring optimum barrel length?

Post by awp101 »

Is there a formula that can be used to figure optimum barrel length for any given caliber or are there too many variables?

For instance, if I want to know the optimum length for a .22H paper puncher what info would I need? Velocity? Weight? Type of action?

I don't think I've ever run across any such formula but it's not out of the question that I missed it if there is... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Figuring optimum barrel length?

Post by Tycer »

Too many variables. Powder burn rate and density, bullet weight, caliber...... There's too short - unused gasses and there's too long - friction overtakes pressure...... Changing powder might compensate for some of that, but not necessarily the way you think. For instance Bullseye gives less velocity in a 2" 38 Special than 2400, and Bullseye is way faster burning.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks, I figured there were too many variables but figured it was worth asking.

Still kicking around .22H options and I've seen T/C bbls from 16" up to 24".
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I think the T/C barrels are a 1:14 twist on the Hornet. Doesn't the BFR 10" come with a 1:9 twist? If you're looking at T/C, I might be inclined to start longer. You can always shorten it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

awp101 wrote:Is there a formula that can be used to figure optimum barrel length for any given caliber or are there too many variables?
Yes. Put your rifle in the cab of your truck. Close both doors. If it fits, you are golden. If it doesn't fit, get a bigger truck. 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

I had typed a detailed responce but for some reason it didn't post. I probably hit the wrong button. Here is the summary

The optimum barrel length is the length that provides for the expanding gases to be most effecient.

B = L * (D*D) * .773

B = bore volume in cubic inches.
L = length traveled by the base of the bullet from seat to muzzle in inches.
D = groove diameter of barrel in inches. (you need to square D)
.773 is a industry constant

The Bore volume along with powder chamber volume can determine the expansion ratio.

R = B + U/U

R = ratio of expansion.
B = bore volume in cubic inches.
U = volume of the powder chamber in cubic inches.

This is used to help determine velocity.

As Tycer said above, there are many factors to consider. Here are a few more. On one hand a longer barrel provides for a better sight radius which should increase accuracy. That's good. But on the other hand a longer barrel has more movement, and flex because of the expanding gas. That's bad.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Andrew wrote:
awp101 wrote:Yes. Put your rifle in the cab of your truck. Close both doors. If it fits, you are golden. If it doesn't fit, get a bigger truck. 8)
Well, my Quigley fits so I guess 34" ain't enough... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Premo
Levergunner

Post by Premo »

“Optimum” barrel length can and is calculated for a specific weapon / powder/ projectile. This is not to say that this is truly the perfect, but pretty darn close, usually within 0.0001” for some weapons. That being said, there are few, if any, practical applications for this in either target or hunting situations. But it makes a GREAT academic exercise.

Many variables not yet listed in all of the post above are to be considered: ambient temperature, barrel temperature, relative humidity, elevation above sea level. Then you get into about 13 or 14 powder parameters, about 10 projectile parameters, barrel parameters, barrel twist rate, land and grove dimensions, barrel crown profile, target distance, just to name a few.

You get the idea. This is possible and with of LOTS of data, the aid of computers and some proprietary software, you can calculate “best barrel length”. Bottom line, I believe that a weapon / cartridge combination can, and is, far more accurate than any human can totally utilize.

Find a weapon and ammunition you feel comfortable with and spend the time to know where you shots will land is all of your expected situations. RANGE TIME RULES.

FP