Where to buy levergun parts now???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Where to buy levergun parts now???

Post by FLINT »

Hey guys, It's been a while since I've been on here, and I see that sometime in the last year or so, that ebay no longer allows many gun parts to be sold.

I need a half mag tube for an 1894 rifle (posted in the classified section) and I don't even know where to look now.

If any of you guys can point me in the right direction, I would be incredibly appreciative!

Thanks!
bishopgrandpa
Levergunner

Re: Where to buy levergun parts now???

Post by bishopgrandpa »

Numrich arms has millions of odd parts. They have web site.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Winchester.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/parts/index.asp

Download the 2008 Winchester parts catalog at the bottom of the page.

Page #45
Part #54
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Another listing that gives pertinent info can be found on the Winchester site under Services, obsolete parts. A half mag tube ought not be too difficult, the various lengths have been standardized for years.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
WIN 1894
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WIN 1894 »

You can take a regular tube and cut it down on the receiver end to the length you need. Your gunsmith should be able to do this on his lathe. Good Luck :) :)
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I do wonder what is to become of all those parts that were going to be on ebay.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I hear people are selling brass and stuff on Gunbroker, since Ebay pulled out.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

WIN 1894 wrote:You can take a regular tube and cut it down on the receiver end to the length you need. Your gunsmith should be able to do this on his lathe. Good Luck :) :)
Yeah, I didn't understand what the problem was. He said that he couldn't find one "anywhere" and that it HAD to be from a 32-40 rifle, as everything else was different. When he showed me the tube, I was completely underwhelmed with how simple a part it was - basically a tube with a cap, and didnt understand why one from a 30-30 or other wouldnt fit. He said that he had one from a 38-55 but that wouldn't work. I wasn't about to argue with him though, since I don't really know anything about it.

I'll see what I can find though.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

FLINT wrote:
WIN 1894 wrote:You can take a regular tube and cut it down on the receiver end to the length you need. Your gunsmith should be able to do this on his lathe. Good Luck :) :)
Yeah, I didn't understand what the problem was. He said that he couldn't find one "anywhere" and that it HAD to be from a 32-40 rifle, as everything else was different. When he showed me the tube, I was completely underwhelmed with how simple a part it was - basically a tube with a cap, and didnt understand why one from a 30-30 or other wouldnt fit. He said that he had one from a 38-55 but that wouldn't work. I wasn't about to argue with him though, since I don't really know anything about it.

I'll see what I can find though.
Flint you need to find a new gun smith, the 32-40, 38-55, 30-30, 32win,.... ect all use the same mag tube. They are all based on the same cartridge family.

To cut a mag tube I use a tubing cutter and then deburr just as you would with a piece of tubing to remove the rolled in lip.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Duff L Bag,

Yes, I've been under the impression that he's been jerking me around for a while now.

He's had the guns for over two years, and every time I go in there is another story about something thats holding him back.

Currently both guns are completely in pieces in a box on his floor. I can't really ask for them back like this or i'll never get them back together. I'm not really sure what to do. Its a very frustrating position to be in.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Take your parts to a guy that knows the guns and they'll have no problem putting them together.

What state are you in?
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I'm in Virginia

There is another gunsmith in town.

Maybe it is time for me to cut my losses and just get my guns from this guy. He's had them since March 2006 and I was originally promised them June 1st 2006.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Where to buy levergun parts now??

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Flint I would go back and get my rifles and forget that I ever knew this *** that calls himself a gun smith. I have had similar experiences in the past with guys that call them selves gun smiths. I had a guy here locally that called himself a Master gun smith he soon became the joke of the shooting community unless you were one of the folks that let him get a hold of your guns. My rifle was good for nothing more than a boat anchor when I got it back from him.
The lesson that I learned was to only use gun smiths that come highly recommended by a couple of people.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Check here: Numrich, about halfway down the page.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Check the gun auction sites as well. In process for getting new bolt for 1927 M39 Pre-A
as we speak. Found it and a couple others on gun auction sites.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I should be able to find another mag tube no problem.

I guess I should just go ask for my box of gun parts and have someone else reassemble. I'm kind of worried about it though. What if he tries to charge me for the dissasembly and stripping that he did. Or what if he doesnt put ALL the parts in the box on purpose out of spite.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

You pay a gunsmith for "services rendered." Taking your gun apart and keeping it for 2 years ain't service.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Flint,
I would consider going in early in the morning before he can claim he is "too busy," customers milling around, etc.
and demand the return of your guns IMMEDIATELY. If you give him a chance to fool with them by leaving and coming
back, you may not like what you get in the boxes. I would consider downloading a schematic of the rifles from Numrich
Arms, zeroxing one from the various gun disassembly "how to" books, off the net somewhere, and going over the parts of the rifles in the shop before leaving, to make sure all are there. If any are not, I would demand cash as a replacement, not
a "replacement part," as you are dealing with an obvious crook. If they are antique parts, I would consider them more valuable/hard to replace than recent production parts. If you can download a parts list with prices from Numrich Arms (Gun Parts Corp) or similar, that will give you ammo to go by when you go in. If he balks, I would start mentioning alphabets:
BATFE, BBB (Better Business Bureau), State Attorney General's office, or whatever it took. That should get his attention.
No doubt he is so sloppy that he really, really doesn't want a visit from BATFE. You can also file a claim in small claims court for damages. KEEP ALL PAPERWORK from him/relating to this transaction, and write down dates, gist of conversations, etc. as best you can recall.

Then, when I had my stuff back and all resolved, I might consider tipping off the BATFE that he keeps sloppy records/poor business practices, just on general principles if you believe that to be the case. I can't stand so-called "Gunsmiths" who lie to and take advantage of their customers. I've had guns ruined by them over the years, and as was said above, you can't do too much research before you entrust a good gun to an unknown 'smith.

Good luck, and I'd go in there determined to be firm, polite, but uncompromising. If he gives you any @&%@*, I'd then get a bit strident with him and let him know you will not be pushed around and that you have several avenues of legal recourse that he will not find even a bit pleasant. Trying to "reason" with people who treat folks like this is pointless; you just get more song-and-dances and empty promises.

Hope this helps,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

FLINT wrote:Hey guys, It's been a while since I've been on here, and I see that sometime in the last year or so, that ebay no longer allows many gun parts to be sold.

I need a half mag tube for an 1894 rifle (posted in the classified section) and I don't even know where to look now.

If any of you guys can point me in the right direction, I would be incredibly appreciative!

Thanks!
Here's a site http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/leversmiths.htm with some information.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This is why I do all I can myself.

Hope you get this worked out.

And I totally agree about getting your guns (don't pay the jerk a penny!) and find a competent gunsmith - should be a bunch there in VA.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

John in MS wrote:Flint,
I would consider going in early in the morning before he can claim he is "too busy," customers milling around, etc.
and demand the return of your guns IMMEDIATELY. If you give him a chance to fool with them by leaving and coming
back, you may not like what you get in the boxes. I would consider downloading a schematic of the rifles from Numrich
Arms, zeroxing one from the various gun disassembly "how to" books, off the net somewhere, and going over the parts of the rifles in the shop before leaving, to make sure all are there. If any are not, I would demand cash as a replacement, not
a "replacement part," as you are dealing with an obvious crook. If they are antique parts, I would consider them more valuable/hard to replace than recent production parts. If you can download a parts list with prices from Numrich Arms (Gun Parts Corp) or similar, that will give you ammo to go by when you go in. If he balks, I would start mentioning alphabets:
BATFE, BBB (Better Business Bureau), State Attorney General's office, or whatever it took. That should get his attention.
No doubt he is so sloppy that he really, really doesn't want a visit from BATFE. You can also file a claim in small claims court for damages. KEEP ALL PAPERWORK from him/relating to this transaction, and write down dates, gist of conversations, etc. as best you can recall.

Then, when I had my stuff back and all resolved, I might consider tipping off the BATFE that he keeps sloppy records/poor business practices, just on general principles if you believe that to be the case. I can't stand so-called "Gunsmiths" who lie to and take advantage of their customers. I've had guns ruined by them over the years, and as was said above, you can't do too much research before you entrust a good gun to an unknown 'smith.

Good luck, and I'd go in there determined to be firm, polite, but uncompromising. If he gives you any @&%@*, I'd then get a bit strident with him and let him know you will not be pushed around and that you have several avenues of legal recourse that he will not find even a bit pleasant. Trying to "reason" with people who treat folks like this is pointless; you just get more song-and-dances and empty promises.

Hope this helps,
John
John,

This isn't to pick on you although I'm quoting you. Your post is just a good example of stomping the guy without knowing him.

First thing, Jon ain't a "crook". Not sure what is going on but "crook" ain't part of it. He isn't one to cuss out his customers and I don't know of him ever having a problem with record books no matter what his shop might look like. However, he does have a full plate being for many years one of the leading lights of the big game show, sitting on the county tax board and working hard on the Friends of the NRA to-do. Many, many times he's acted as a defacto NRA rep in the valley. He's made many trips to Richmond defending gun rights in Virginia. Every gun dealer in the Shenandoah Valley likely knows Jon or will shortly. I know Colorado Native has likely dealt with him. However, sometimes I've thought that his middle name was "Slow".

I'd also recommend that you go in on Thursday morning when he's just opened up and request to have the guns returned. Just go in and tell him that on reflection you'd just as soon get them back and go another way. I believe he will return them without hesitation. There is no need to burn your bridges.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

FLINT wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I should be able to find another mag tube no problem.

I guess I should just go ask for my box of gun parts and have someone else reassemble. I'm kind of worried about it though. What if he tries to charge me for the dissasembly and stripping that he did. Or what if he doesnt put ALL the parts in the box on purpose out of spite.
As I said just ask for them. If he did some work that his what you should pay him for. Heck, I can help you reassemble the gun... Jon will NOT keep parts out of spite. I've never known him to do such a thing and I've seen him deal with some really hostile/rude/idiots.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks Hobie,

Yes, you are right, Jon seems like a nice guy and I don't think is a crook, nor do I think he would do anything out of spite. And no worries, I would never do anything brash, its just not my nature. I feel really bad about the situation, and I think that primarily the issue is that he is very busy. Also, I tend to come across as naive sometimes and he probably thinks I don't know any better than what he tells me - so it might be easy to take advantage if he needs to justify the slow progress.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm going to be straight up with him when I go back this week and tell him that any mag tube should work, and I'll get one right away and can he try to wrap things up as soon as possible and if not that I'd like to go ahead and get them back.