What is your favorite gun store?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

What is your favorite gun store?

Post by 1886 »

Kittery Trading Post, Kittery Me. gets my vote. Always a great selection. Lots of leverguns. 1886.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

for me A-C firearms in hiedenhiemer texas.he only has the best of guns on display and isn't a crook with his prices.I have bought alot of guns there.nice guy.
pete
DAV life member.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Any place with leverguns and/or black powder!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Blade 'n' Barrel in Jena, Louisiana. The parish sheriff's son and wife run it. They're good people!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Pawn shop down town. That guy is clueless.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Gunbroker.com

:)
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Mr. WCF30-30, I like your reply. Priceless. 1886.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Gun Shop - Lancaster, Calif.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Guns Galore. Fenton, MI a great bunch of guys there, always willing to help out.
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

When Winchester announced they were to cease the production of the Model 94, Guns Galore did not gouge.
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Keisler's in Jeffersonville, IN. Great variety and good prices. Have always been treated right when shopping there.
PPpastordon
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

1886 wrote:Mr. WCF30-30, I like your reply. Priceless. 1886.
When it comes to leverguns or mausers he usally marks them way low.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kesselrings in Burlington, WA. They're so packed that you can't hardly turn around if there's more than two of you in the store. They have a ton of 1886's hanging from the trusses.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My favorite gun store was Bonds Gun Shop in Phoenix, AZ. Unfortunately he closed up in the early 80's.
No favorites since.

Joe
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

Silver State Arms in Reno....he generally has the best selection of lever guns in the area.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

We're kind of hurtin' for a shop that will carry any leverguns. The Bass Pro is a joke, the local independent shop usually only has one or two. There's usually a few at one of the three pawn shops in town, but they are overpriced everywhere. My only chance is to find one at one of the pawn stores and dicker with them.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I keep going to Nuckol's Gunworks here in Staunton. Good supply of reloading supplies there.

Dominion Outdoors in Stuarts Draft has better selection but not better prices. They do a lot of business through GunsAmerica and they handle a lot of estates.

Homestead run by Jon Ritenour in Harrisonburg was a long time favorite but he's mostly in the gunsmithing business and has mostly stuff to support that side of the business. I'm not certain but I feel he's given up on competing with all the other gun dealers in the area.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[What is your favorite gunstore?]

Any that actually have guns in it ! There's nothing I hate more, than the "gunshop" that has nothing, but has a proprieter who tells ya: "I can order you whatever you want !" :roll:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Clark Brother's Gun Shop out near Warrenton, VA. They had a huge selection of guns along with all the accessories needed for shooting. The big bonus for them was that they had a 100-yard range behind their store where you could try out whatever gun you were buying.

A great feature of that store is that they just don't have one model gun in stock. When I used to go there and say I was lookng for a S&W Model 29, they wouldn't have just one in stock -- they'd have two or more.
ED
Yer never too old
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

We have several well stocked gunshops within 50 miles of my home. Plus a number of "home shop FFL's". The HS/FFL's have an advantage because of low overhead. They charge a flat rate or low %. show you there costs and order what you want, IF you know what you want.
For just gun shopping and buying my favorite is the Old Town Trading Post in Old Town, Maine. Yeah, it's an odd name for a town, but it is an "Old Town". -- Why? Cause "the owner's in the store, if it's open."
Dave Hansen and wife are staff. I can't say that he specializes in any particular type of firearm but he's surely "overstocked" with cowboy guns at the moment.
1-877-527-7032 Tell him Pepe Ray sent you.
Jesus is the way.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

G.F.SPANGENBERG est 1880 Tombstone Arizona. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pete44ru wrote:[What is your favorite gunstore?]

Any that actually have guns in it ! There's nothing I hate more, than the "gunshop" that has nothing, but has a proprieter who tells ya: "I can order you whatever you want !" :roll:
Pete - I agree, that is frustrating, but it is hard for many of the old "Mom & Pop" gun stores - what few are left after Clinton I reigned - to have a big selection. It ties up too much working capital, which is key to a small business person. They need to try to stock the stuff that moves - that their customers won't wait on to order, but will just go down the street to find. :cry:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:G.F.SPANGENBERG est 1880 Tombstone Arizona. 8)
Game Keeper - are there "gun stores" in the U.K. (like you see here)?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid, I'm glad to say that we have some good ole Gun Shops here in the UK. Some are a bit stuffy and cater for the toffs but most of them are places you can go and tell lies all day, never buy a thing and still be welcome next time you drop in! I think most guys who shoot are happy to pass time with like minded folks.

G.F.Spangenberg reminded me of some of the stores we have over here, friendly, helpful and ready to chat about anything gun related. :D :D
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

What's a toff? Sure don't sound good!

I've narrowed my favorite two down from about a half-dozen in my area. The first is The Gun Broker in Clackamas, OR. Good people there and a great selection. They've got some leverguns, and also an old model Ruger pops in from time to time. The second is 99 Gun and Pawn, in Milwaukie, OR. Pretty good selection and I can dicker with them a little bit. Bought a great old 336 there this summer. Got an even better deal on a Mini-14 GB, but that ain't a levergun so I won't say nothing more about it!

Rob
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

I like the "camp site sport shop" in hunting long island
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I gotta vote for the Kittery Trading Post as well.
Bought my first lever gun there. It's tough to get
out of that place without buying ANYTHING gun-related.
Racks and racks and racks of long guns, over a dozen
showcases chock-full of handguns, a reloading section
larger than half the gunshops I've been in, safes, targets,
cases... drool, pant, pant... okay - I'm back under control
now. ... :lol:

Good thing I live 90 minutes away, or my pockets would
be even emptier!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

favorite gunshop

Post by rjohns94 »

Use to be WINFREES in Grafton Va on rte 17 Worked there part time for many years while in the service. A shop filled with Colt SAA, Old Military and LOTS of fine leverguns. Currently, the internet is where I look for my gun deals.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Another one for Silver State Arms in Reno. I always try to stop buy when I go back home. Usually lots of leverguns and SAAs to look at.
Chad
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

kimwcook wrote:Kesselrings in Burlington, WA. They're so packed that you can't hardly turn around if there's more than two of you in the store. They have a ton of 1886's hanging from the trusses.
Yeah, but you can't buy em!! They're just hanging up there to give you a kink in the neck and drool on your shirt. :cry:
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

oregon73 wrote:What's a toff? Sure don't sound good!

Rob
Oregon73, your'e right unless you happen to be one!
The toffs I was refering to are the guys that buy Purdy's, Holland & Holland etc and can afford to shoot grouse on the Scotish moors
costing thousands of dollars a day! Some of these gun shops look down their noses at you if ask, " Have you any pump actions? "

I know because I used to work in one!
dbernie5
Levergunner

Post by dbernie5 »

Every firearm I have purchased came from Johnson's Sporting Goods located in Adrian, MI. The staff there is very helpful whether you are actually buying or just browsing and planning your next purchase. There are no "stupid" questions that a customer can ask. All questions are answered with a knowlegeable and respectful response. They have large selection of everything and can get what they might not have in stock. I could go to Wally World for some of the guns I have purchased but Johnson's prices are always so close, and the personal service is unbeatable. No, I don't work there, nor do I own it. And I'm not a professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...........
dbernie5
plattski
Levergunner

Post by plattski »

I know it isn't really a gun shop but I love Gun Broker - if you can't find it there and get a decent price by being patient, it doesn't exist. Closer to home, Sportsman's Surplus in Missoula's scenic Tremper Shopping Center. Good guys, plenty of choices and everything else a guy needs for make the fur, feathers and fins fly.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D +3 FOR KITTERY TRADING POST IN MAINE.I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN STRETCH, EVEN BETTER THAT I LIVE 2.5 HOURS AWAY IN RHODE ISLAND, I'D SPEND ENOUGH FOR ANY THREE GUN NUTS. DEFINATELY HARD TO LEAVE W/OUT BUYING ANYTHING.
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

The Gun Stop on the west edge of the Twin Cities. Great crew and an excellent mixture of new and classic firearms.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

There are many good gunshops in Texas. McBride's has a good selection in Austin. San Antonio has Nagel's, Dury's, Don's and the Powderhorn plus the pawn shops usually also have a good selection. I dealt with old man John Dury for a long time until he messed up a bluing job and refused to stand behind it so I switched to Nagel's. Senior Dury died a few years ago and his son is running it now - supposedly a top notch guy but I have never been back. There was an older part-time fellow working there named Mr. Guthrie, who was a die-hard levergun man back in the 70's. He was a fan of the 1892 Winchester and I bought a couple from him for not much money. Marlins were also practically a dime a dozen around here then - I bought a pair of .32-20 24" rifles for $125 around 1979 or thereabouts and sold each one for $150 apiece - thought I had made out like a bandit; too bad I didn't just stick them in the gun safe. I once bought a '73 in 44-40 with a 28" barrel for $80 from a pawn shop in Seguin. Sold it to a guy for $150 a year later...too bad we can't have all those guns we parted with in a moment of weakness.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Gun Shop, Lancaster, Ca,
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

kimwcook wrote:Kesselrings in Burlington, WA. They're so packed that you can't hardly turn around if there's more than two of you in the store. They have a ton of 1886's hanging from the trusses.
DJ's Sport and Loan in Bothell then Kesselrings. :D
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Dam Road Gun Shop

Delavan, Wisconsin
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

Gee, nobody has said Gander Mountain, or Dick's, or even Cabelas!

:wink:
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Anybody had any experience with guns galore or gun broker are they good or bad? I like the idea of being able to look at so many guns with out the pressure but would like a closer look cant be done online :( I M just not sure of buying something online
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

ohwin94,

My experience with Gun Broker over the years has been mixed. Dealing with reputable people has resulted in great finds such as Red's Trading Post in Twin Falls, Idaho and not so great results with some. Even down right misrespresentation. I've located five brand new, in the box, .444 Timber Carbines that I purchased for slightly less than the MSRP, then again I picked up a .444 BlackShadow that was listed as NIB and delivered in a beat up box with a sticker over the bar code indicating the box was for a Legacy model. When I tried to return it, the seller disappeared. Lost 'bout a hundred bucks on that one. I'd like to splay out for ya all the bad ones I've experienced, but liability might be an issue.

Check the remarks, if they come recommended, I'd venture to say their good. If they have one bad mark...follow up, if two, double check and e-mail both of the bad marks, if three...stay away.
Kurt
Levergunner

Post by Kurt »

Bay Area Firearms in North Bend, Oregon. Mike, the store manager, is a former elected Sheriff, was a patrol sergeant previous, and the (my) Reserve coordinator for many years. Mike is a Viet Nam Vet, former Navy. He was also Best Man at my wedding, when I married one of the Dispatchers, who is also a Veteran.

That is where I bought my 45-70, and he is always happy to just say hello when you stop in. Mike also suggests other stores if you need something right now, and he doesn't have it just then.
Kurt in Southwestern Oregon
James Riley
Levergunner

Post by James Riley »

I'm going to use this opportunity to complain. Yes, I like a nice gun store. I'd like one designed along the lines of an 1800's hardware store in Leadville, Colorado, only chock full of guns and leather. But that is not my complaint.

My complaint is my wife sitting around watching QVC, and a so-called men's channel, that has nothing but stuff on it, unless they have a few tools. So what?

I want a QVC for guns, and no gun laws. I want to see those QVC ladies racking the lever on an 1873 44-40, 30" octogon, crescent butt, and going:
"Check out the grouping on this weapon people [BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM]! Superb! Now, just call 1-800-555-5555 and use our easy-pay program, today only, four easy payments of $29.95! Look at this color case hardening! It's so good to see that Winchester came back to quality machined steel and hand-fitting and polishing of parts. Next, up, Colt Single Action Armys. And don't forget to tune into our show this evening for . . . etc. etc."
Personally, I think there is some discrimination going on here. I'm stuck looking at the same old Uberti and Cimarron catalogues and re-reading the Madis big book for the third time. :roll:
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Like Comal Forge, I like McBride's in Austin for its selection. But, John's Guns in Bastrop did me right in the trade that got me my .444 Marlin. First time around, John's received my Marlin with a busted stock that clearly was mishandled during shipping. Sent it back , and got a good one the 2nd time without question. I've also done business with Red's guns in Austin. I'd deal with any of these before I purchased anything from Cabela's or Bass Pro, as their prices are out of this world. It doesn't bother me that a mom/pop has to order what I want if I can handle it somewhere else before I buy it. I do note that the local WallyWorld has stopped handling guns, and has a sorry selection of ammo, IMHO. Oh well, I'll jut keep buying my cast bullets from beartoothbullets.com, and my powder/primers from either McBride's or John's (depending on who has it in stock at the time).
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Cal's Custom Guns in Fallbrook Ca. they got levers, MLs, sixguns, and a good selection of reloading components.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
danthegunman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by danthegunman »

Of course mine is!
That which does not kill us makes us stronger!

Dan Printz/Gunsmithing
The Firing Pin
Call Before You Shoot!

http://www.danthegunman.com
dan@danthegunman.com
Semper Fi
John14:6 <((><
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

danthegunman wrote:Of course mine is!
:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I walked into S&M Guns in Eugene, Oregon back in about 1988 or 1989, lo and behold, there was a new in the box-unfired 1886 Browning Saddle Ring Carbine hanging on a couple of hooks on the back wall behind the counter. $675.00 took it out the door that day long ago, still got it. I bought several nice rifles there over a period of time, sometimes it was a struggle as to which one I would buy, there were several at any one time that made you cringe with want. Havn't found a gun store like that in Kansas these 14 years now.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

brucew44guns wrote:I walked into S&M Guns in Eugene, Oregon back in about 1988 or 1989, lo and behold, there was a new in the box-unfired 1886 Browning Saddle Ring Carbine hanging on a couple of hooks on the back wall behind the counter. $675.00 took it out the door that day long ago, still got it. I bought several nice rifles there over a period of time, sometimes it was a struggle as to which one I would buy, there were several at any one time that made you cringe with want. Havn't found a gun store like that in Kansas these 14 years now.
SM Guns is the only store in the area that I will not frequent. I had a terrible experience with them about three years ago and I have not entered the shop since. It's too bad, since they tend to have a decent selection of used guns. Marvin is not known for the quality of his service.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942