OT - New pair of boots - what brand??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

OT - New pair of boots - what brand??

Post by AndyM »

OK - I am in the market for a new pair of leather boots. Not really for hard core hunting - just knocking around the house, doing outside chores, and wearing around town on the weekends. I am leaning towards a pair of work/wellington leather Red Wings pull-ons. I never owned Red Wings, but I think they are 100% American made and there is a store in my area where I could buy.

I've owned Rocky, Wolverines, Irish Setter, Double H, Duarngo, and many many others, but never a pair of Red Wings.

It got me wondering, when it comes to footwear (boots) - is brand loyality as strong as it is with our guns? If it is - what brands do you purchase and wear? Do you buy one brand all the time? I kind of flip flop back and forth depending on price and style.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - New pair of boots - what brand??

Post by Rusty »

Redwing is all I buy. I've been a loyal customer for longer than I can remember. Be aware though that now days they are trying to compete with everyone else out there. Some people use price as their only stipulation. For those people Redwing has started to carry a line of "Made in China" boots as well. Just be aware of what you're looking at when you shop. Go with the American made stuff.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Red wings are OK... I used to buy them years ago. The new ones (like so many other things) are not the boots of old.

I found that if I took really good care of the leather they would last through a couple of re- sole jobs. The Pecos boots stretch out and lose shape ... but I think thats just me--- I tend to run them over like no other boots.

If you want to spend a bit more look into Olathe, West Coast, or Hoffmans. Chippewa makes a nice pull-on work boot too

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Combat. Jungle type, American Made ONLY. Best boots ever.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

For knocking around I like Keen. They often have a chuka style. What I like is the large area for toes. Walk a lot and your feet swell. These are very comfortable. I've even worn them hunting (even the shoes). They started with "sandals". Those are comfortable too and protect the toes.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm funny about boots. The last two pair that I've purchased for hunting and knocking around were a pair of Brownings and what I've got on my feet right now - a pair of dessert tan Bates combat type boots.

They both came from Sportsman's Guide on sale. The Brownings are good boots but have finally started coming apart after about 4 years of wear. I think I paid $60 for em. The Bates were only $40 and seem to be very well made and sturdy - have vibram soles and a sock like liner to em. Not as comfortable as the Brownings but they're breaking in just fine.

I have other specialty hunting boots - rubber boots, mountain boots and specialty backpacking boots... and several old pair of cowboys. I'm definately a boot kinda guy :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Remembered who I bought mine from.

http://www.altama.com/products.html

These are good folks. I wear 2 types of footgear: Sandals (summer) and Jungle Boots (winter). (Note: when in AK/High Mountians below 0degF then I wear Matterhorns...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I have a couple of pairs of Russell's. The McIntosh bird shooter is a great light weight boot. Ive had my pair for over 8 years now. I wear them a lot and am on my second set of soles. They're not cheap, but spread it over 8 years and the price starts looking real good.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_bi ... ntosh.html
Last edited by RKrodle on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky

DWWC
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Red Wings didnt they win the Stanley Cup :mrgreen:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

IMNSHO: Red Wings. I've been wearing them since 1986.

If you know the size and style of the Irish Setters, the techs at RedWing might be able to tell you which last most closely lasts the Irish Setters. Once you find the last you like with RedWing, you can buy one of several (in my case 15) styles built on the same last and they will feel the same on your feet.

NEVER wear the same pair of shoes/boots two days in a row. Let them dry out completely or the stitching will rot out long before the leather. Buy more than one pair after you find the one that fits. I know it's expensive, but I've got boots that are seven years old that fit and support wonderfully. Once the stiching or lining is rotted or gone, toss the boots.
Store your boots on their sides - air will flow better and they won't mildew or grow tinea.
Resole. RedWings can be resoled. Do it. They put them back on the last and rebuild them. Cheap.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

If you want them for just knocking around the house, the yard, going to the grocery store etc. I would suggest a low Chukka style that has no agressive tread as you do not want to track dirt, or sand inside. For hunting there is only 1 boot to buy...Danner. My nephew is a sales rep for Rocky, and I always tell him the same thing.."You can Have em" Never had a problem with Danners, have had many a problem with all the others.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AMERICAN made Redwings. Two things in life that you should NEVER be cheap on and that is boots and mattresses. They cost a bit more but are worth it. I have several pairs of the Redwing "Loggers" and they are very supportive, warm, dry and llllooooooooonnnngggg lasting. You just can't wear 'em out. I usually only get another pair because well, I just want something new. As for real-deal hunting boots, I use the (once again) AMERICAN made Danners. I have owned the Chinese Danners and my experience with them has been junk.

Come on Sixgun Jr.!-------Chime in and tell the boys where I get my Redwings. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

For Wellington style pull on boots check out bamason.com I just ordered a new pair of style #960 I have had probably 6 pair of this style since the early 80's. I have also worn thru a couple pairs of style #992, they also have a western work wellington thay are good. Anyway Mason boots is all that I have worn in the past 25 years or so.........
UNITE
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I wore out dozens of pairs of Redwing "Toughies" as a kid. (Anyone remember those, along with double-kneed Farah jeans?) But as an adult I have had trouble getting a Redwing to be comfortable. Something about the lasts they use. My current favorites are a pair of Double H Bullhide ropers. I've worn these hard for five years and may have to replace the heels soon, but they fit my feet like gloves and give me great ankle support, too. Got 'em on sale at Big R for $99. Best shoe money I ever spent.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Most comfortable boots I've ever owned are Redwing IrishSetters and Rocky Nubucks. I am wearing the Rocky Nubucks right now. They're lightweight, soft and easy on the breakin process and very comfortable. You can find them at Cabela's for around $150. I prefer a lightweight yet fairly durable boot, the Rocky's are almost a year old and have been great.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

In my line of work, I usually use more of a heavy duty hiking boot than a typical leather work boot. I have found the Danner brand to be very good. I particularly like to use Vibram soles when I can. RedWings are good, but they aren't very comfortable to me. Rocky is the same. I have had some luck with Wolverine as well (hunting boots).

Todd
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Wolverines (durashox) get my vote for the simple reason of the cushioned soles. I can work twice as long in them.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
gumpond
Levergunner

Post by gumpond »

Russell Moccassins. Socks are optional. I don't know how long they will last. My first pair is only 12 years old and is still my "go to" yard boot. Just got a new pair and quality is still there. You can order them in odd sizes, 11 narrow on one foot and 12 wide on the other. You an have them custom fit.
Send them back to the factory for refurbish when the stiching breaks down from to many years in the swamp. Great boot!
Greg
"Starvation is cheap." Glemie Dean Beasley