EJECTION

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

EJECTION

Post by 86er »

Here is my question:

If you throw your lever forward harder/faster, does it eject further/stronger?

If so please state what gun you have and how much of a difference it makes.

Thanks
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

My first thought would be say yes, the harder you rack it the further it will toss them. But, as I think about it I can't say for sure. I will try a couple of mine tomorrow, if I have time, and report back.
Ricky

DWWC
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Since I don't abuse mine by slamming the lever forward and back I can't say for sure. But if I work the lever normally they seem to eject just as far as if I work the lever gently.
It doesn't seem to matter as long as the lever stroke is positive and complete.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

The cases are ejected further the harder you rack the lever. This is most evident in top eject models.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

With the Rossi '92s I find that to be true, but with both my '94s and my '73 it doesn't seem to make any difference. The '73 usually pops 'em up on my hat brim, the '94s seem to drop 'em right around my right foot. Just a little behind me and to the right.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

I agree with Griff. In the 94's there's not much of a difference but in my 92,73, or 66 it is quite noticeable.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think that any time you increase the acceleration of the bolt you will increase the velocity of the case as it moves against the ejector. That may or may not throw the case farther from the gun. Frankly, I don't worry about it as long as the cases consistently come out of the gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie, I'd agree with you on side ejection or AE as the trajectory is AWAY from the gun to begin with. But... on a true top-eject 94, I think the trajectory is mostly up, with some lateral movement, so any increase in bolt movement is translated into more elevation of the empty, not any significant increase in distance away from the shooter. Anyway... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :lol: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I've noticed with my rifles that the distance the case is ejected is not effected so much as the DIRECTION of the case is effected.

For instance, the other day, when I was chronographing some handloads, I was working the lever of my .444S Marlin slowly between rounds and the cases were ejecting straight out about 4-feet. However, after doing my chrono work, I shot the rifle off-hand at some distant clay targets and was working the lever smartly and the cases were ejecting about 5-feet at about a 45º angle behind me. I've also noticed this when firing my top-eject 94s. If I work the lever more-or-less gently, the cases go straight up with a smidgen of ejection to the right. However, if Iwork the lever smartly, the cases eject straight up with some rearward trajectory and fall straight down on my head or right shoulder.

However, like Joe, I do not work my levers with undue force. A firm flick of the lever is all that is needed for proper function of the rifle.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Griff wrote:Hobie, I'd agree with you on side ejection or AE as the trajectory is AWAY from the gun to begin with. But... on a true top-eject 94, I think the trajectory is mostly up, with some lateral movement, so any increase in bolt movement is translated into more elevation of the empty, not any significant increase in distance away from the shooter. Anyway... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :lol: :twisted:
Griff, you must be driving right now as I said
That may or may not throw the case farther from the gun.
FWIW, this applies to most every type of firearm.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here's what I found:

The 1886 (45-70) and Marlin 39A will pile brass one on top of the other no matter how fast or hard I flick the lever forward.

The 94AE (45 Colt) has no rhyme or reason to the pattern of ejection in spite of flicking the lever harder, smoother, slower, whatever.

The Sav 99 (308) definitely throws them further back and further to the right the faster I flick the lever forward. If I simply open the lever all the way it dribbles the brass at my feet.

They all eject every time - so no concern there. I was more curious than concerned. I find this pretty interesting and entertaining though.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:
Griff wrote:Hobie, I'd agree with you on side ejection or AE as the trajectory is AWAY from the gun to begin with. But... on a true top-eject 94, I think the trajectory is mostly up, with some lateral movement, so any increase in bolt movement is translated into more elevation of the empty, not any significant increase in distance away from the shooter. Anyway... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :lol: :twisted:
Griff, you must be driving right now as I said
That may or may not throw the case farther from the gun.
FWIW, this applies to most every type of firearm.
Nope, musta been dozing on the couch! :oops: It'd be hard to argue with that statement, huh? :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I find it different with different guns from different era's. For the most part, as long as you don't eeeeaaaaasssssseee the lever real slow, there is not a lot of difference. Winchesters wing 'em further than Marlins and Colt Lightnings drop 'em right on top of your head or sometimes right down your back in between your shirt and skin. :x ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD