OT Why FT/LBS are a waste of time.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT Why FT/LBS are a waste of time.....

Post by Nath »

This morning drinking a brew before I set of for work and sitting in bed, outside the pheasants suddenly started cocking up. Hmm I thought, I wonder what they have seen so I got out of bed to see just over the hedge a fox in the field at about 25yds so I went and grabbed my air rifle and loaded up. By the time I had opened the window the fox, a vixen had moved behind a tree and I had to wait all the time seeing the distance growing more and more. Finally at about 50yds she gave me a shot in the misty freezing fog. I aimed for the ribs after a little squeak to get her to stand still for a sec. A reasuring hollow thump sound come back and of she went. After 20yds she slowed to a walk with her head down and slowly disapeared into the fog. ( She made a good one hundred yards)
Soon after the dog fox appeared and in the murk kept visiting what looked like a shadow in the murky fog - I knew I had killed her.
The dog and me went to retrieve her,
[img][img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o65/ ... gunfox.jpg[/img]
The air gun is making around 12ft/lbs ans she got alot less than that.
Remember all the posts of folk on here using 25/20 to kill deer and 30/20s.
Ft/LBS mean nothing to me :wink: [/img]
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

WOW!
I am IMPRESSED.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:D
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep,only three things count.... bullet placement, bullet placement, and bullet placement. Just ask WDM Bell. Anybody here want to try and tackle an elephant with a 7mm Mauser? He did all the time.

Good shootin
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bang on Rusty, I think some have fell to a 6.5 Mauser too!
Just look what an arrow will fell!
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Excelent shooting. What air gun are you using?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Jeremy, it is a Weirauch HW95 in 177 with a polished action and a different spring done by myself. The pellet was a Daystate something and I recall them being 91/2 grn or so, considering how flimsy a thing they are they seem to penetrate which is the key.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

To heck with the Mausers, I'm ready to see Nath tackle an elephant with his pellet gun.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: :lol: :lol: No No seriously I would have to reach for the 22 for that :lol:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

howard hill

Post by brucew44guns »

My dad knew Howard Hill, famous archer from back in the late forties. He killed a huge elephant with a regular bow, not one of these compound bows we see today. So that air gun is powerul too, good shot my friend, you proved a point, that a good aim is important.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Hobie

Re: howard hill

Post by Hobie »

brucew44guns wrote:My dad knew Howard Hill, famous archer from back in the late forties. He killed a huge elephant with a regular bow, not one of these compound bows we see today. So that air gun is powerul too, good shot my friend, you proved a point, that a good aim is important.
Bruce,

Mr. Hill (and I must emphasize MISTER) shot a 100 lb pull at his draw weight and used heavy arrows. That in no way diminishes his feat but I didn't want anyone to think he'd used a 55 lb pull bow with typical weight arrows. I have NEVER been conditioned well enough to draw 100 lbs but have shot a 70lb recurve. Just shooting the bow was an accomplishment if you ask me and that was standard for him. IOW, he didn't just use it on the elephant.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

regular bow

Post by brucew44guns »

Hobie is right, the bow was a tremendous weapon for sure. When I said a "regular Bow" I didn't mean a Wal-Mart Chinese kids toy, but rather a bow of the old fashioned look and design or style, wasn't sure what they called them. All I knew for sure was the fact it was not a typical bow of today with pulleys and leverage that we see bow hunters use. If anyone would take time to find it on E-Bay or elsewhere, Howard Hill made a movie that you can still buy new fairly cheap, called "TIMBO". It is an excursion he made to Africa, killing many of the big boys over there. Quite intersteing, with many feet of film showing him aiming at, and shooting and killing game with that big killer bow he had. I have the film, it was a good buy for me to get it. The Model 71 I have was purchased originally by Howard Hills son-in-law, he had planned to kill an Alaskan bear with it, and Howard was going to get one with an arrow. They never went on the trip together however.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Gamekeeper Junior
Levergunner

Post by Gamekeeper Junior »

Pretty impressive stuff Nath.
I've often wondered whether my 177 air rifle would stop a fox if I came across one whilst out after rabbits, now I know.

Nice looking vixen too, congrats
SPOILT by progress ;)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

just a good thing it didn't CHARGE YOU. it probably wasn't what you considered a TROPHY OF A LIFE TIME. had it been you would have never survided the charge, or you would have wasted your hard earned money , going home empty handed. congradualations on your fine shooting. next time use at least a 416 rem mag. with premium bullets .ofcourse. if not, at least file the front site off of that arm!!!!. :lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

well done NATH!!! nice shot, story, and point. :D

(I would still use my .20 HW97K VBG)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice shooting Nath :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As John Wayne said in "Big Jake", "that is some good shootin'!" :D
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Another fine post...thanks again Nath...love the pics too!

LeverBob
Northern Nevada
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Right on Nath, Bell did use a 6.5 Mauser early in his career but switched to the 7mm IIRC. I don't remember the reason. Maybe he thought it was too light. LOL!

I read a lot about him in one of Capstick's books.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Great shooting :D
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Great shot Nath :D .I use a Savage Model 93R17-FVSS bolt action in 17HMR for coyotes,gray and red foxes.I have nailed them out to 100+ yards(longest was 153).The key is SHOT PLACEMENT.Once again I salute your luck and skill.Happy Hunting. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Excellent shot there Nate. At 50 yard, how much did you have to hold over the top of the fox? I would guess that an air gun, at that distance, has a rainbow trajectory like a slow 45-70. As it is now 5:35 a.m. here in Georgia, I think I'll go get a brew! LOL, words sure change meanings as you cross the pond.
Zack
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Well done. I would have used my 86, 45/70 though. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well done Nath. :wink: It's amazing what a .177 pellet can do. I remember as a kid I had a Webley Senior air pistol with both a .177 and a spare .22 barrel. I soon found out which was the most affective on Starlings. Penetration was more important than clout. I would choose a .177 over a .22 anytime with a low powered air gun.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Rusty,
I think I remember reading that the 6.5mm bullets of the day did not hold together well for the penetration desired, if this activity was taking place today, our modern bullets are more sturdidly constructed; and would do the job.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks for the kind words. I would of prefered to use one of my levers but my nieghbors would not enjoy it as much as me, I,m allready getting scouls from next door and another nieghbor is not talking since there cat went missing. Well actually it staggered in apparently peppered with shot and died, somehow they think I,m involved.
I had some luck with this fox, I was able to squeeze one in to it's wind box. At the distance I shot it I gave it 2" and it worked out just right.
I would love to get a chance with my bow, boy that would be something.
Yes, a brew as in I brewed a cup of tea (mug actually) and one for the current Mrs Nath as I do every morning and no not a beer :roll:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have been reading up on airguns, and was reading someone's blog. He was telling about an outing where he and his friend went after rabbits. They saw a deer. His friend decided to annoy the deer by shooting it with his airgun.

He killed it instead.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

So Nath , when you say your having a brew in the morning . Are you talking coffee or a beer ? :lol: Just checking . Not sure about what the English drink in the morning.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Black tea BenT with a dash of milk :wink:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!