Tarnish removal and prevention

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Tarnish removal and prevention

Post by J Miller »

I have a Parker 51 fountain pen that has a 1/10th 18K gold filled cap and clip. Pen was made in 1944.
IMG_6900.JPG
The gold has tarnished (you can see it in the pic above) and that has happened only since I moved to IL back in 99. Before that it never tarnished. I've had the pen since 1968 and really would like to get rid of the tarnish and keep it off.

Anybody got any ideas on what to use to remove the tarnish? One thing though, the cap cannot be soaked due to the inner cap and steel retaining spring inside it.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tarnish removal and prevention

Post by GunnyMack »

Gold does not tarnish- EVER! Me thinks it might be brass or the gold plating has worn off.
Greatest thing for polishing is FLITZ. works fast, very safe, even for food grade cutlery.
It's available in squeeze tubes to quarts. FLITZ leaves no residue and helps fend off oxidation.
After you get it polished up, give it a shot of clear krylon spray paint or even better a clear lacquer. This will wear over time but keep the pen shiny longer.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

I collect fountain pens, mostly Watermans.

The firm mentioned, http://www.pendemonium.com/ is worth an email, certainly for a Parker 51.

All the best, Mark
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Gold doesn't tarnish. Honest.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I know gold doesn't tarnish, but there it is.

I used to collect fountain pens, still got a bunch of them. But I've lost track of the support groups as my collecting was pre-internet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

google.gif
is your friend: Fountain Pen Collector Forums
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
google.gif
is your friend: Fountain Pen Collector Forums
Griff is on the ball, and to the point. It's why we call him His Nibs....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

J Miller wrote:I know gold doesn't tarnish, but there it is.

I used to collect fountain pens, still got a bunch of them. But I've lost track of the support groups as my collecting was pre-internet.

Joe
Then you know its not gold
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

harry wrote:

Joe
What I know is that it is 1/10 18K gold filled over a base metal. Not solid gold. And that prior to moving to the mid west, it never tarnished. That is what I know.

Sigh ...

I've been a member of so many forums, shooting, automotive, fountain pen, over the years that I have forgotten many of them. I won't go join a forum just to ask one question.
I was just hoping that with the combined knowledge on this forum I could get some useful information. I guess I was wrong.

Joe
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

"I was just hoping that with the combined knowledge on this forum I could get some useful information. I guess I was wrong."

I realise that things can be frustrating at times and I often feel that I live on the dark side of the moon.

Give it time, it's a Parker 51 and I know you care about it. You get attached to your pens.

Mark
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:
harry wrote:

Joe
What I know is that it is 1/10 18K gold filled over a base metal. Not solid gold. And that prior to moving to the mid west, it never tarnished. That is what I know.

Sigh ...

I've been a member of so many forums, shooting, automotive, fountain pen, over the years that I have forgotten many of them. I won't go join a forum just to ask one question.
I was just hoping that with the combined knowledge on this forum I could get some useful information. I guess I was wrong.

Joe
:cry: Into each life some rain must fall.....Hey, I hear MarlinOwners knows more about pens than leverguns..... :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

"Hey, I hear MarlinOwners knows more about pens than leverguns..."

You have a long memory...., not such a bad thing, so do I.

All the best,Mark
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mark wrote:"Hey, I hear MarlinOwners knows more about pens than leverguns..."

You have a long memory...., not such a bad thing, so do I.

All the best,Mark
Good for you. You one of the pen experts, were ya?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

No, not an expert on anything. My wife will confirm that.

Mark
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm thinking, which sometimes works, is yes your pen is plated AND has a lacquer finish. The lacquer is failing causing the discoloration.
Can you feel where the 2 colors meet?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

J Miller wrote:
harry wrote:

Joe

Sigh ...

Joe
Well people have tried to help you, by telling you gold does not tarnish. So you need something to clean tarnish off of brass or copper. It may have been gold plated at one time but that plating has been removed and the base metal is corroding.
Trump 2024

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

GunnyMack wrote:I'm thinking, which sometimes works, is yes your pen is plated AND has a lacquer finish. The lacquer is failing causing the discoloration.
Can you feel where the 2 colors meet?
Gunny,

There is a difference between gold plated and gold filled. It once was explained to me but I have lost that bit of knowledge.
I have a few other Parker gold filled pens and I "don't think" they had lacquered finishes on the caps.

No, I can't see or feel where the colors meet. It's very smooth.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

harry wrote:
J Miller wrote:
harry wrote:

Joe

Sigh ...

Joe
Well people have tried to help you, by telling you gold does not tarnish. So you need something to clean tarnish off of brass or copper. It may have been gold plated at one time but that plating has been removed and the base metal is corroding.
Not corroding, tarnishing. If you're gonna put me down then at least use correct terminology.

Joe
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well Joe my thoughts aren't much help then. I tried... Hope you get it figured out!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

Gold-filling jewelry is jewelry containing pure gold equal to 1/20th of its entire weight. Gold is often mixed with copper or brass. Gold-plated jewelry also combines gold with copper, brass or other base metals, however, only a very tiny amount of gold is used. The gold or gold-colored metal used in gold-plated jewelry equals seven-millionths of an inch Gold plating involves pressing a small amount of karat gold over the base metal through an electrochemical process. In some cases, the metal used in gold plating is not real gold, but only provides a gold color Caring for Gold Filled:  Caring for Gold Filled items is as easy as caring for any gold jewelry. Simply keep away from chemicals, clean regularly with mildly sudsy water, rinse well and pat dry with a non-scratching cloth. Polish gently with a jewelry polishing cloth.
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Joe[/quote]
Well people have tried to help you, by telling you gold does not tarnish. So you need something to clean tarnish off of brass or copper. It may have been gold plated at one time but that plating has been removed and the base metal is corroding.[/quote]

Not corroding, tarnishing. If you're gonna put me down then at least use correct terminology.

Joe[/quote]
Sorry Joe, The brass that is under the gold plating on your pen is tarnishing. You happy now. :mrgreen:
Trump 2024