Anybody else hooked on certain calibers/can't stand others?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Don McDowell wrote:Gotta admit tho that 32 is cute. :lol:
Cute enough to look just like my wallet. :wink:

It's the only caliber I WON'T reload for - because I shoot it only enough to maintain 20ft POA/POI and the ammo I buy (bought a case of) is already at about the Peak of the ballistics for that gun.

I shoot the Fiocci 60gr SJHP. 2-gun, 2 group, average Mean Velocity @ 8' = 924fps. Not earth shattering, but certainly better than a pointy stick.

Here's a nice ballistic comparison chart:

http://naaminis.com/vel32new.html
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Old Ironsights wrote:Here's a nice ballistic comparison chart:

Interesting. I had no idea NAA was moving those. Maybe they saw what Seecamp was getting and decided the market needed another participant.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Here's a nice ballistic comparison chart:

Interesting. I had no idea NAA was moving those. Maybe they saw what Seecamp was getting and decided the market needed another participant.
They have been moving these since the early 90s - and their warranty is first rate.

Some of their "specialty" guns using the propriatary Corbon ammo is interesting, but I like ammo availability.

FWIW their .380 guardian is subbed out to Kahr but the .32 is in house.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The only 32 acp I was around was an old Astra it was alright .
Skeeter Skelton always spoke highly of the 32 in a Walther PPK . So that makes it aok in my book. :D
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I don't have much personal experience with many calibers, but....

I like .22LR( of course), 30-30( of course), 7.62x54R/30-06/45-70/45LC( they're as awesome today as they were 100+ years ago).

I don't care for any SM's, SSM's, Ultra-Mag's, anything developed simply for proprietary reasons, and any of the Weatherby cartridges.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

lever-4-life wrote:Dont get me wrong I like the the .45 next gun buy will be a 1911 :D , I love it's history and it is a GREAT P.D. round. But in my eyes the .40 is the best, It has a one shot stop rating that is the same as the .357 125 grn J.H.P., and it fits in a 9mm sized pistol. Plus I shoot the .40 better at long ranges than any other service round I have tried. Thats just me though...
Where did you get this info on the one shot stop equalling the .357 125 grn hollow point. that is very interesting. We use them at our PD. I would love to know.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Until finding this forum and getting into levers in a big way I never really cared for .357 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt or 300 Savage. And I never even heard of 45-70. Now I own rifles in each and some twice or more. I do own guns in all the NATO calibers also and love those. The only caliber I hate is the one I dont have. once I get it I love it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

I like- 458, 45-70/457WW Mag, 375 H&H, 338 Win Mag, 30-06, .308, 243, 30-30 and of course the .348 Winchester Model 71!! Also, 1911 45acp and just bought an 1892 Trapper in 45 Colt.

No like...7mm Mag, 300 Win Mag, and prefer a 30- 06 to a .270...Love my pre 64 Model 70 30-06....

Love my M14, but don't much care for the M16....I trained and qualified with both in the Corps...
Semper Fi
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

505stevec
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:14 pm Post subject:
lever-4-life wrote:
Dont get me wrong I like the the .45 next gun buy will be a 1911 , I love it's history and it is a GREAT P.D. round. But in my eyes the .40 is the best, It has a one shot stop rating that is the same as the .357 125 grn J.H.P., and it fits in a 9mm sized pistol. Plus I shoot the .40 better at long ranges than any other service round I have tried. Thats just me though...

Where did you get this info on the one shot stop equalling the .357 125 grn hollow point. that is very interesting. We use them at our PD. I would love to know.
There was a table of real world shootings that was at the local police range that they kept as a guide, The .357 125 was the top at 96% The .40 155 grain was at 95%, and the .45 230 grain was 93%.

I think that there is a table on handloader as well.
Break on through to the other side!!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rock-steady wrote: Can't stand:
Short Mags
Ultra Mags
Yep - they go making too many chamberings that don't do anything 'new' except get us to spend money on new reloading dies or whatever. I'd rather have a new fancy gun in an old standby chambering.

I think the "newest" cartridge I really like is the 6mm Remington, and it's about 50 years old now.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don McDowell wrote:About the only cartrdiges I don't have any particular use/need or want for are the 25acp...
Hey now, EABCO makes a breech plug for I think the Encore or Black Diamond muzzleloader that uses primed .25 ACP cases instead of shotgun primers, and they seal up so much tighter that you get NO sooting... EABCO claims they also ignite more reliably and consistently and are thus better in the rain and for accuracy, etc...

So, see - there IS a use for the .25 ACP!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

If it goes bang, I'm there!!!

I don't care much for the .270 Winchester, but like the 6.8SPC. Go figure!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

38-55, 30-30, .45 Colt, .25-20, .270, .22 rimfire are my favorites

Don't like the 30-06, not sure why.

Mike
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

just cant figure out what a 243 is good for that many others are much better for.
cable
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I like the .243 because the rifles are light, easy to carry, and they are excellent for deer size game on down. You can load 'em with a 50 grain bullet for varmints, or a 100 grain bullet for deer, which is plenty big enough to knock 'em down. They are also very economical to reload, and have very little recoil which is great for new shooters whether they be kids or adults. Also a good round for females. Just MHO. I never had much use for a .243 until I actually acquired one.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mike S. wrote: Don't like the 30-06, not sure why.
Mike
That just sounds 'un-American' and blasphemous...! I think there is counseling available for that, surely.

Actually - the only reason I have a .30-06 is because I have a Garand. Otherwise the .308 seems better, sans the 'nostalga' factor.

Still, there's some crowds I'd not admit disliking the .30-06 around, for fear of being tarred and feathered. :shock:

GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Sacre Bleu 8mm Lebel YUCK
Montanan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Montanan »

Sore Shoulder and Allen1980

Here is a current picture of my 500-gr Elk Buster and a 525-gr Beartooth Pile Driver side by side. With a proper load, the 500-gr is no more thump on recoil than a 405-gr at 1525 fps. But when it delivers to it's intended target it just plows right on thru.

Click To Enlarge
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Everyone knows the .30-30 is only good for plinking tin cans!!!
The 7MM Mag. is a good long range varmint caliber but not good for much else!!
The .32 Win. Special will kill anything ! :D :D :D
Montanan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Montanan »

Chuck 100 yd

The 30-30 is my next cartridge that I love as well :lol:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I like to many to list, but I can say I don't like to shoot 357 or 32 mag in a revolver. They are just to hard on my ears when hunting. P.S. I forgot the 30 carbine in a revolver also.
"That'll Be The Day"
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

Quite irrationaly, I dislike the .308 win intensley and have little time for .30 cals generaly with certain exceptions 30-30.

Like the pistol cal carbines, .223 and 6mms.

Cant see the point of the 22-250 or sub .22 cal centerfires.

Can not imagine why anybody wants a werthby mag in any caliber as there are older cartridges that will do the same job at sensible hunting distences without beating the snot out of you.

Enjoy pre WW2 hunting cartridges in 8mm and upwards.

Have a current love affair with the 9.3 x 62 as it did so well for me in Africa.

And adore things with a rim.
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

AJMD429 wrote:
Mike S. wrote: Don't like the 30-06, not sure why.
Mike
That just sounds 'un-American' and blasphemous...! I think there is counseling available for that, surely.
Hey my favorites are pretty American aren't they? :wink: Actually, I have no real reason to dislike it and will say it's a pretty versatile cartridge, it's just too common. When I bought my first (and only) bolt rifle, all my buddies said 'ya gotta get an ought-six', so I got a .270. My favorites are probably pretty common among the bunch on this board, but in the general population, you aren't gonna find too many guys out there hunting or shooting with a 25-20 or 38-55. :)
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I guess my favorite right now is 356 in a 94BB. I still carry my 30-30 in a circa45 mod 94 for deer once in a while. I have used 308.30-06 444 and 35 whelan. Still prefer the mod 94. I kept a 270 in case I ever do any open country type hunting, but most of my conditions are inside 100 yds. I also like my 22 hornet in a BRNO for ground hogs. Of course it goes without saying that 22LR is also close to my heart. First real rifle and lots of fun time spent plinking and practicing. Never really saw the need for any of the magnums, shooting is suposed to be fun not painful.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I hate the 5.56 NATO, mostly because I hated the M16-A1 I was saddled with until I out shot the rest of the Company on the M-60. I can't really say that I dislike any other caliber. I think that I am the only one left who likes the .480 Ruger. I does pretty well if I do my part. For me it is simply a way to deliver a little bigger chunk of lead at approximately .44 Mag velicities.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I have a real fondness for the 300 Savage and the 444 Marlin - see below. I don't think there is a cartridge I dislike although there are quite a few that may be more powerful than I'd ever want. The only magnum I'd want to shoot would be in a pistol cartridge.

Well done is better than well said.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

piller wrote:I hate the 5.56 NATO, mostly because I hated the M16-A1 I was saddled with until I out shot the rest of the Company on the M-60. I can't really say that I dislike any other caliber. I think that I am the only one left who likes the .480 Ruger. I does pretty well if I do my part. For me it is simply a way to deliver a little bigger chunk of lead at approximately .44 Mag velicities.
480 fan here :lol: And I think you would like the A2 and M4 we have now. I find myself saddled with the 249 (5.56 squad automatic weapon).
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I like the .30-06 and .30 WCF. If for no other reason, I can find either in the most remote hardware stores in North America.
I'd like a 1895 Winchester carbine in 30-06 or .30 Krag.

The more I fiddle with it the better I like the .25-35. Moderate noise, little recoil and deer killing energy out to my iron-sight ranges. Works pretty well on 'yotes and groundhogs too.

I shoot a 9mm, .38 and .357 mag and .45acp. The 1911 has a warm spot for me. So do K frame S&W's. All those calibers have a place... I would rather shoot the heavier 1911, .45 than my SW39... the recoil of a 1911 feels like a "shove" compared to the "snap" of a 9mm...and the 9 has a much sharper muzzle blast in my opinion.

.357 feels different to me when fired from a M65 SW compared to a Colt SAA clone . The 3 inch HB Smith shoots better for me.. but I love shooting the Colt frame anyway

All the cartridges needed were out there 70 years ago. Some of the new ones are just re statments of what we used to have. I dont see were I would ever need to buy a Short Mag.
.32 acp or H&R magnum dont turn me on either... but I always liked the .380...go figure. Truth is those Walther PPk autos turn me on.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I shoot and enjoy all of the traditional Winchester lever gun calibers. The only "mistake" Winchester made, back in the day, was the 32-20.

I have no use, or regard, for the 32-20. It is good for nothing beyond shooting tin cans and squirrels. IMHO, of course. :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva